Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-02-2016, 01:48 PM   #183
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacity View Post
For a daily driver? For a guy driving it around the city and the highway? MOST of the additional performance features you will never even be able to utilize unless you want to risk getting the ticket from hell like this guy:
The risk of getting a ticket from hell is entirely a matter of driver restraint. The car won't be going that fast unless its driver actively decides to make it happen.

Quote:
Lol, this is just what V8 guys say to try to justify overkill. I'm not stating there aren't other performance enhancements, but once again I ask my same question........are these extra performance enhancements worth $10k - $15k MORE along with higher gas and insurance costs?
You say 'overkill' to the extra performance potential (note where the emphasis is here).

I say things like 'underwhelming' and 'unsatisfactory' to cars with base-level power and brakes and sluggish cornering response (yes, even at 25 mph residential neighborhood speeds I notice these things). A soft-ish base-level ride quality is a further detraction. Enjoyment of the sensations I get from driving is not something I'm willing to give up for a few $.

Norm
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #184
Freddy G

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE /2011 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
You seem to be to be a little out there with your opinion. Lay off the youtube vids man. Your a future E bike owner and you don't even know it. Damn son will 24s roll on those E bikes or not? Doesn't matter the ladies will see you rollin on that E bike and be trippin Tenacity is out on the prowl.....but that hockey helmet he's rocking just is cuttin it yo.
THIS LMAO.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #185
RvdB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2 LT RS package
Easy choice for me: the greentax on V6 cars are very high were i live, greentax on V8 cars are ultra high.
a new standard V8 muscle is doing a 120.000 dollar easyli!
Lucky basterds in the USA 😉
Greetings from (green) the Netherlands!
RvdB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #186
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
You seem to be to be a little out there with your opinion. Lay off the youtube vids man. Your a future E bike owner and you don't even know it. Damn son will 24s roll on those E bikes or not? Doesn't matter the ladies will see you rollin on that E bike and be trippin Tenacity is out on the prowl.....but that hockey helmet he's rocking just is cuttin it yo.
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2016, 02:08 PM   #187
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
Quote:
Originally Posted by RvdB View Post
Easy choice for me: the greentax on V6 cars are very high were i live, greentax on V8 cars are ultra high.
a new standard V8 muscle is doing a 120.000 dollar easyli!
Lucky basterds in the USA 😉
Greetings from (green) the Netherlands!
GREETINGS, MY CAMARO BROTHER!!!!!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:27 PM   #188
Repooh
Certified: Slow

Drives: 2014 Ashen Grey 1SS/RS LS3
It's not about the need to use the power everyday and every time you drive. It's about having the ability to tap into it when you need it. I know a V8 Camaro doesn't have the absolute most power on the streets but it beats a good chunk of it.

edit: *Stock v8 Camaro....I've seen some wicked rides on here

2014 Ashen Grey Camaro 1SS/RS LS3
Winter Vehicle- 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Repooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #189
gto mark

Drives: 2015 Red Hot 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Finally figured it out. You didn't get a v8 so that we could all be amused by this thread.
gto mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #190
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Red Hot Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankboyt View Post
Ive always been in to muscle cars and for me that means v8 power nothing can replace the two extra cylinders as far as engine smoothness and sound which contribute to my overall enjoyment of the car.
If that floats your boat and is worth the additional $10k - $15k then fine. But I want to point out, A LOT of people don't even consider modern day Camaros, Challengers, Chargers, or Mustangs muscle cars....no matter the package, many people consider them ALL pony cars. So that's a debate in an of itself.

I personally would say a V8 engine with the additional performance upgrades does put the car in the "muscle" category but again....at the end of the day....who really cares lol? A Camaro looks the f'ing SAME coming down the road in terms of the style of the body.

To me, again, it's just over kill non-sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
I would ask where you are getting your numbers to justify your "most people" and "97%" statements but I already know the answer. You don't have any data to back up your position and you're just talking out of your butt trying to back up your feelings.
No, it's not that. You can look at the sales of the V6 packages v.s. the V8 packages, you can also look a surveys/studies done from the general population. MOST people don't know a V6 from a V8. That's a fact. Now, maybe my 97% is too high, maybe it's 80%, the bottom line is that most people will have no clue what's in your engine nor even THINK to ask what's in your engine when you come down the street.

The only people that ask about engines are the outdated, holding on to "yester-year", good ol' boys stuck in a 1970's definition of what a "Camaro" should have under the hood. Or flat out, TROLLS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naikaidriver View Post
But don't go around re-defining what constitutes a "pony car", "sports car" or "muscle car" because you just end up sounding like you're tweaking terms to suit your own beliefs.
Lol, dude I haven't redefined anything. You have pony cars and muscle cars. BAsed on standard textbook definitions, when you have performance upgrades and bigger engines (V8), you are in the muscle car category. Other than that, you are in the pony car category, and a pony car is just a highly styled car with a "sporty" image...another word for SPORTS car.

I, drive a sports car that turns heads coming down the road and that chicks like.

V8 guys, drive a muscle car that can tear up the track, with also the sporty car look as well that turns heads coming down the road and that chicks like.

But here's the kicker, if you are not drag racing or going to the track, then the additional performance upgrades and bigger engine are all OVERKILL because I'm getting the same compliments, turning of heads, and chicks that YOU GET but I paid $10k - $15k LESS, with lower gas costs and insurance costs
Tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 02:36 PM   #191
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Not to mention those big rims on your car is going to f up your suspension and brakes and then you'll be asking yourself "HMMM was this $5k repair bill worth the rims"
Nope, it's not going to be that serious. I only keep the 24s on for about 5 months of the year, the other 7 months the stock tires are back on.

Plus you are talking to a guy that also had 22s on his Charger, I had absolutely no issue with said suspensions or brakes going out because again, the wheels aren't even on for the entire year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
V8 > V6 in every aspect...
I would hope so.........the purchase price is $10k - $15k higher (for newer models, not buying a 2010 or 2011 model in 2016 which I find even more silly) with more performance upgrades on it. Why wouldn't a V8 be "better" in this regard than a V6? That's like saying the ZL1 is better than the stock V8 package, well........I would HOPE so! You paid the extra money for more add-ons!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The risk of getting a ticket from hell is entirely a matter of driver restraint. The car won't be going that fast unless its driver actively decides to make it happen.
CORRECT. You are making my point. For a daily driver, at WHAT POINT do you even use the additional horsepower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
I say things like 'underwhelming' and 'unsatisfactory' to cars with base-level power and brakes and sluggish cornering response (yes, even at 25 mph residential neighborhood speeds I notice these things). A soft-ish base-level ride quality is a further detraction. Enjoyment of the sensations I get from driving is not something I'm willing to give up for a few $.
All of these things you listed are subjective. I don't feel a damn thing wrong with the braking system lol. And the "sensations" I get are good enough for me. I'll take the $10k - $15k in purchase price and put it on APPRECIATING assets like stocks, bonds, or business equity, rather than going OVERKILL on a daily driver car.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #192
Repooh

Quote:

CORRECT. You are making my point. For a daily driver, at WHAT POINT do you even use the additional horsepower?
The same point that you use your additional horsepower when compared to a Prius...

Old 08-02-2016, 02:49 PM   #193
Tenacity
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repooh View Post
The same point that you use your additional horsepower when compared to a Prius...
I don't get the analogy lol?

Remember, people like me buy the Camaro pony car version for the LOOKS of it. I'm not going to get the same compliments, random stares, and chicks getting "hot", coming down the street in a Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, or Honda Accord

So why the analogy of a Camaro pony version to a Prius?? There's not even a comparison in terms of style dude lol. I wouldn't be caught DEAD in a Prius, Civic, or Accord.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:56 PM   #194
Repooh

Quote:
I don't get the analogy lol?

Remember, people like me buy the Camaro pony car version for the LOOKS of it. I'm not going to get the same compliments, random stares, and chicks getting "hot", coming down the street in a Toyota Prius, Honda Civic, or Honda Accord

So why the analogy of a Camaro pony version to a Prius?? There's not even a comparison in terms of style dude lol.
I wasn't comparing style, I was comparing performance and usage of it.

My point is that I use my extra v8 HP over your v6 HP the same way you use you v6 HP over a car that doesnt have as much but might look good (BRZ/WRX). I do know a BRZ owner who lands many girls who get "hot" over his car...but that point is irrelevant, because if all you have going for you is a "hot" car, then I'd bet you're not landing the dimes anyway lol

Aren't we told that it's what's on the inside that counts? Inside of my beautiful looks is a v8

Old 08-02-2016, 02:59 PM   #195
failshift
Banned

Sooooo. Many. Bernie voters in here.........
failshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:01 PM   #196
Repooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by failshift View Post
Sooooo. Many. Bernie voters in here.........
Make Camaros great again....

P.S. I owned a v6 so I'm not hating on them.