Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-13-2016, 11:13 AM   #16381
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
I was just reading a thread that said there are still over 150 new Z/28s on dealer lots UNSOLD.
How many were made, total? Perhaps the answer is to maintain the price point, but plan to build fewer...more exclusive. The Z/28, as it's been reincarnated...is not practical as a daily driving street car, but excels as a weekend racer, and "party piece"...that said, the mere fact it exists provides bragging rights for the whole lineup vs everyone else. So they don't "need" to sell a lot to have those bragging rights...

Quote:
But I still say a ZL1, lightweighted is the answer. I'm not feeling a great vibe for GM bringing on all new V8 and I don't think the 4.x liter Cadillac engine gets shared. But if it does then how would a 4.x Liter TT at 525 to 550 HP sound? 3.0TT V6 in the CT6 is already at 400 HP. Or would the LT4 at that point be the better choice?
According to this article, the new V8 would be developed "not for sportiness", and only produce power in the "upper 400s". Plus, it won't be based on GM's small-block architecture, which means it could be a DOHC setup...potentially heavier than the LT series...and twin turbos plus cooling/plumbing...The LT4 only weighs about 50 lbs more than an LT1...this cadillac engine could be heavier, produce less power, and suffer from a bit of turbo lag.

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/01/cad...-42-liter.html

But...could it spin significantly faster?

Would that be a good fit for a Z/28?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:41 PM   #16382
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
I think the biggest issue for the 5Gen Z/28 is/was the buzz of the up coming/now here 6Gen. Everyone who cared knew it would be much lighter, stiffer and offer more technology.

Maybe you're right, modify the ZL1 to offer a Z/28. That's what Ford is doing with their GT350 & GT350R. The public sees the difference there.

So if that's the case knowing what the ZL1 "appears" to be, how should it be modified into a Z/28?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #16383
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
I was just reading a thread that said there are still over 150 new Z/28s on dealer lots UNSOLD.

Starting to wonder if this bodes well for a big $$ Z/28 in the Gen6.

As you can already load up a 2SS to over $50,000 without much trouble it seems that a ZL1 will easily go over $60,000 with the LT4.

Not sure if GM will take the chance with a $75,000 Camaro again.

I think a lot depends on what is announced at NY and how the Gen6 1LE actually performs.

Hate to say it, but I'm wondering if there is room now.

But I still say a ZL1, lightweighted is the answer. I'm not feeling a great vibe for GM bringing on all new V8 and I don't think the 4.x liter Cadillac engine gets shared. But if it does then how would a 4.x Liter TT at 525 to 550 HP sound? 3.0TT V6 in the CT6 is already at 400 HP. Or would the LT4 at that point be the better choice?
GM overestimated the demand for the Z/28. Ford is limiting the GT350R to 500 units per year. If GM did that, the Z would have sold out easily.

If there is no room, or no new LTx coming, then leave the Z/28 out of the 6th gen. Depending on the performance of the 1LE, they may not need one anyways.

I would love to see the Z/28 come back with the lessons learned from the 5th gen car but I wouldn't be too upset if it didn't.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:00 PM   #16384
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
I think the biggest issue for the 5Gen Z/28 is/was the buzz of the up coming/now here 6Gen. Everyone who cared knew it would be much lighter, stiffer and offer more technology.

Maybe you're right, modify the ZL1 to offer a Z/28. That's what Ford is doing with their GT350 & GT350R. The public sees the difference there.

So if that's the case knowing what the ZL1 "appears" to be, how should it be modified into a Z/28?
DSSV dampers? Tropheo-like tires...carbon ceramic brakes...polycarbonate "glass"? Carbon fiber/aluminum body panels...stripped content? More aggressive aerodynamics. Could be nearly as light as an SS...with 650hp?
Old 03-13-2016, 06:15 PM   #16385
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
GM put a hurt on Z/28 sales being careful to describe the car as a track car. I can't tell you how many posts I read along this line -- I would really like to have a Z/28 but you can't daily drive it. OF COURSE YOU CAN DAILY DRIVE A Z/28 if you choose or want too. It is as reliable as any other Camaro. The ride may be rougher and tires expensive to replace, but it can be daily driven. I understand why TEAM Camaro made the statement, but I think they over did it and that cost them quite a few sales.

They still have too many Z/28 parts on restriction. The Z/28 was created as the ultimate Camaro parts car, but then they promised buyers it would be exclusive and put parts on restriction, then they started selling the complete Z/28 suspension as a GMPP kit upgrade, but now they restricted some of the suspension parts, then they thought it would be a good idea to market the aero as a kit, but then thought it might not be a good idea...

There are sufficient sales of cars and parts to create another premium priced performance variant of the 6th Gen to make the business case, IF GM and TEAM Camaro decide on how to go to market and stay the course.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:35 PM   #16386
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
DSSV dampers? Tropheo-like tires...carbon ceramic brakes...polycarbonate "glass"? Carbon fiber/aluminum body panels...stripped content? More aggressive aerodynamics. Could be nearly as light as an SS...with 650hp?
Oh yeah!
Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 PM   #16387
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
GM put a hurt on Z/28 sales being careful to describe the car as a track car. I can't tell you how many posts I read along this line -- I would really like to have a Z/28 but you can't daily drive it. OF COURSE YOU CAN DAILY DRIVE A Z/28 if you choose or want too. It is as reliable as any other Camaro. The ride may be rougher and tires expensive to replace, but it can be daily driven. I understand why TEAM Camaro made the statement, but I think they over did it and that cost them quite a few sales.

They still have too many Z/28 parts on restriction. The Z/28 was created as the ultimate Camaro parts car, but then they promised buyers it would be exclusive and put parts on restriction, then they started selling the complete Z/28 suspension as a GMPP kit upgrade, but now they restricted some of the suspension parts, then they thought it would be a good idea to market the aero as a kit, but then thought it might not be a good idea...

There are sufficient sales of cars and parts to create another premium priced performance variant of the 6th Gen to make the business case, IF GM and TEAM Camaro decide on how to go to market and stay the course.
What would your 6Gen Z/28 recipe be?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:33 PM   #16388
Bhobbs

Wednesday is the day. Does Camaro follow the Corvette and bring out a supercharged Z/28 or will they follow the example set by the 5th gen cars?
Old 03-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #16389
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post

Wednesday is the day. Does Camaro follow the Corvette and bring out a supercharged Z/28 or will they follow the example set by the 5th gen cars?
You can hear the blower whine. Very likely going to be an LT4 powered Camaro.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:19 PM   #16390
Mr. Wyndham

I'm only going to post this here...

Friends of Camaro performance are going to LOVE what they see...you're going to go nutZ....
Old 03-14-2016, 04:20 PM   #16391
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:

Friends of Camaro performance are going to LOVE what they see...you're going to go nutZ....
Sooo no LT4!?
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:37 PM   #16392
Bhobbs

Quote:

So n/a 6.2 liter spinning to 7,500 rpm making 550 hp in a stripped down Z/28?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #16393
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Well the whine would be faked in then LOL.

I'm sure it's going to be awesome.

BTW, spent some time with a Mustang today. A guy who used to work for me bought an Orange GT with Recaro seats and Track Pack. Got AZ pricing so just about $33,000 not counting fees and taxes.

Observations:

Back seat is about an inch more than a Camaros for my driving position. So more room but still remains near worthless.

Trunk is bigger, but not nearly as deep. Questionable on the golf clubs.

Interior is much better than others seem to want to give credit. I found it quite nice and not as goofy as the Camaro in some ways. Steering wheel and controls also better in the Mustang. Center stack? Well yes the Mustang is busy, but GM didn't execute the display on the Camaro as well as they could have either. To me it's about a wash, but I can see why some would prefer one over the other.....both ways.

Visibility? Soooooooo much better in the Mustang. Oddly enough the Camaro is a bit better over the hood, but everywhere else it's just "better enough" than a Camaro to give a much more open feeling. The quarter glass is actually just big enough for a good head check, which I prefer. Rear view through the back glass? Way better than a Camaro. Lower belt line, higher roof all add up to a better feeling in the car and better sight lines......except over the hood.

One area the Mustang is really lacking, noticeably, is exterior fit and finish. The paint is nice, but the panel hems aren't even, particularly on the decklid and the rear panel between the tail lights didn't fit great. Not important for some, but I'm a stickler for these things and GM is clearly better here on the Camaro.

Long story short, unless you are looking for the better performing car, which the Camaro CLEARLY is, it's a shootout.
Old 03-14-2016, 06:25 PM   #16394
Bhobbs

A 15 or 16 GT parked next to me today when I was at lunch. The beltline and roofline clearly give more glass to see out of but I thought it looked a lot more bulbous, I guess you could say. It wasn't bad but I don't like it as much as the Camaro. I feel like they could have dropped the 6th gen beltline and raised the roofline but kept it flat to get more visibility without sacrificing much in the way of looks.

Tags
"number z", 2014 700hp z/28, 3/27/2013, 75k, super de duper z thread, thread for the zed, what'z up?, where's our z/28, why no big z?, z/28 spring 2014