Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Bigwormgraphix

Old 07-28-2022, 09:31 AM   #141

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Chevy just announced their SS Blazer EV, still several years away. If anything, they may show what Chevy is willing to do for EV performance, starting with this Blazer EV SS. Hopefully an EV Camaro is still a long way off, or else it will be just another brand X clone of every other EV they have made so far.

To me, all Chevy EVs are being rushed out, with the early adopters doing all the testing. The sameness is rampant, and soon to be deemed boring as hell, IMO. If the performance side is just given lip-service and hype (like the Blazer EV SS may turn out to be) then no Camaro now would be justified or desirable.

What appears to be expensive up-grades in other models, look mainly like over-the-air software downloads that are intentionally held back, until you pay up, that is. What a scam and a rip-off. The whole format of EV ownership, pre-determined software limitations, unilateral and arbitrary over the air changes, all have a potentially horrific down-side to ownership and freedom of use and travel. They may plan on installing millions of charging stations, but if there is no power for them, the future cost of charging and who controls when and how much electricity is available, all portend for a bleak future of auto ownership.

The woke platitudes driving an econmic agenda that EVs will save the planet and reverse climate change will soon be shown to be unworkable and unaffordable.

No thanks, I'll stay away from EVs for as long as legally and economically possible.

Last edited by 90503; 07-28-2022 at 09:41 AM.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #142
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Chevy just announced their SS Blazer EV, still several years away. If anything, they may show what Chevy is willing to do for EV performance, starting with this Blazer EV SS. Hopefully an EV Camaro is still a long way off, or else it will be just another brand X clone of every other EV they have made so far.

To me, all Chevy EVs are being rushed out, with the early adopters doing all the testing. The sameness is rampant, and soon to be deemed boring as hell, IMO. If the performance side is just given lip-service and hype (like the Blazer EV SS may turn out to be) then no Camaro now would be justified or desirable.

What appears to be expensive up-grades in other models, look mainly like over-the-air software downloads that are intentionally held back, until you pay up, that is. What a scam and a rip-off. The whole format of EV ownership, pre-determined software limitations, unilateral and arbitrary over the air changes, all have a potentially horrific down-side to ownership and freedom of use and travel. They may plan on installing millions of charging stations, but if there is no power for them, the future cost of charging and who controls when and how much electricity is available, all portend for a bleak future of auto ownership.

The woke platitudes driving an econmic agenda that EVs will save the planet and reverse climate change will soon be shown to be unworkable and unaffordable.

No thanks, I'll stay away from EVs for as long as legally and economically possible.
Yep!
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 10:30 AM   #143
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:

I saw the other day that BMW charges a monthly subscription to use the heated seats. I think it was $500 for a lifetime subscription. Completely crazy, I will never buy another BMW product if this is how you have to 'pay to play', what a joke.

On your last point, I couldn't agree more. I dont think EVs are the answer at all. They produce way too much carbon just to build, much more than an ICE vehicle does.

They'll just dig the hole deeper by building EVs, then the grid wont hold up anyway and it will all come crashing down.

It will be way too late for an "I told you so" at that point. At 41, I'm just glad I am not any younger.
Old 07-28-2022, 11:00 AM   #144
raptor5244

Drives: 2022 CT4-V Blackwing
Quote:

Agreed. I made the mistake of buying a Tesla Model 3 Performance when it really isn't justified for the price. The only difference between the Performance trim and the Dual Motor or Single Motor is the 0-60mph times and the boat anchor wheels/tires. The Performance has bigger brake package but it comes with street pads so they need to be replaced for any serious driving.

I since sold the car when the market drove up and bought a ZL1 but I my wife still has the SR+ Model 3 (Single motor). I actually prefer the SR+ over the Performance trim. The single motor removes hundreds of pounds over the nose of the car and gives it mid engine handling characteristics. It also comes with the lighter 18" wheels and slightly smaller and less heavy battery. It flat out handles better and still gives you that instant torque experience.

I would feel the same way about this Blazer SS performance. All you are getting is better 0-60 times but how often are you sprinting from stoplights in a Blazer, especially when the next trim level down can accelerate a half second slower. They will need more creature comforts, tech, etc. in order to get justify the higher trim levels.
2017 C7 Stingray - M7 Coupe - Sold
2019 C7 Grand Sport M7 Vert - Sold
2021 Camaro ZL1 - Black - A10 - Sold
2019 Tesla Model 3
2022 CT4-V Blackwing - M6
raptor5244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:38 PM   #145
keep_hope_alive
Electrical Engineer

Drives: 2023 1SS A10 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyRules View Post
Weird I think the government was controlled by republicans when GM/Ford made these commitments to transition to EV’s…..

So people really need to stop with pushing this false narrative that it’s todays government forcing EV’s on them.
This admin is publicly proud of their goal to have half of new car sales be EV by 2030. It's at 5% now which is double last year. Last year's bill earmarked $7.5B for charging infrastructure. That's a ton of movement in just 2 years. The move to EV has been long and slow, what we look at is the curve/trend. I don't think the previous admin was against the move to EV, but their policy was focused on driving down energy costs. There's also this article: "Biden’s Push for Electric Cars: $174 Billion, 10 Years and a Bit of Luck"

Critics have reason to complain today. It is today's government literally saying that inflated energy costs are good because it's part of the pain to go to EV and renewables. This admin did purposely inflate energy prices through policy and readily admit so as recent as last week (Transportation Secretary), but with the spin that it's for the greater good. Low energy costs reduce feasibility for EV and renewables. Telling everyone to just go buy a new car is being out of touch with the majority of the population that simply can't, and financially shouldn't, do that.

None of that is to say that the push for infrastructure is bad. The lack of infrastructure needs to be solved, but not just at remote stations. All condo and apartment buildings with parking stalls will need them and that burden can't fall on the renter. Maybe market forces will result in building owners to use charging as a way to entice occupancy, but that will be slower than the move to 50% of new sales.

1100: 5/3/22 . . . . . . . 2000: 6/25/22 . . . . . .4000: 8/17/22 . . . . . . . 6000: 9/10/22

Daily Driver mileage update: 22k mi. @ April 2024
New Engine @ 22,600

Build Log: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...6#post11353116
keep_hope_alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 12:39 PM   #146
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:

A comment on the charge more for computer updates. I just got a gm offer on my 21 ss1le to upgrade my map. For $100! I’m thinking gee the car is a year and a half old, did suddenly all the street names change? We have a 2007 Camry and that old map is just fine. All a bunch of bs. This is where car mfg will add more profits besides the high costs of repairs. People all want all the electronics and phone / max convenience they can. Well you’re welcome to it as now you won’t have a choice but pay a lot more. And you will need a extended warranty if you keep the car as the computer crap when it fails is the most expensive to repair. Like $13000 to fix under dash chip failures on a corvette for example
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 01:08 PM   #147
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
Quote:
Weird I think the government was controlled by republicans when GM/Ford made these commitments to transition to EV’s…..

So people really need to stop with pushing this false narrative that it’s todays government forcing EV’s on them.
It’s not the R vs. D thing. You buy that garbage? The vast bureaucracy always leans to uniformity and control. You think the EPA turns pro common sense/ free market when the Republicans hold majorities? They don’t call it the ‘uni-party’ for nothing.

I would just prefer to have a choice when it comes to what kind of new vehicle to buy, but that won’t happen because all must conform.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #148
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldawg View Post
It’s not the R vs. D thing. You buy that garbage? The vast bureaucracy always leans to uniformity and control. You think the EPA turns pro common sense/ free market when the Republicans hold majorities? They don’t call it the ‘uni-party’ for nothing.

I would just prefer to have a choice when it comes to what kind of new vehicle to buy, but that won’t happen because all must conform.
Don’t want to burst your bubble but in 10 years this will be like complaining that they don’t have pay phones on every corner because everyone must comply.

It’s simply the NVH issue and that’s fair in the Camaro segment. But there is so much development money being spent it will quickly just be the better solution.

GM is going all EV NOT for the government or its agencies. It’s doing it for the stockholders. Simply look up the market cap for GM and Ford. Then check Tesla and Tesla shares are down big of late. That’s why.
Old 07-28-2022, 02:23 PM   #149
Slippy

Drives: 22 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Don’t want to burst your bubble but in 10 years this will be like complaining that they don’t have pay phones on every corner because everyone must comply.

It’s simply the NVH issue and that’s fair in the Camaro segment. But there is so much development money being spent it will quickly just be the better solution.

GM is going all EV NOT for the government or its agencies. It’s doing it for the stockholders. Simply look up the market cap for GM and Ford. Then check Tesla and Tesla shares are down big of late. That’s why.

Threads like these make me wonder what the general opinion was like when horses were replaced by cars.
Slippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:45 PM   #150
Devstrike

Drives: 2020 Camaro LT1
I think the main thing the Pro EV side the Pro ICE side need to realize is that they will be sharing the road with each other. That being said ICE isn't going away I am part of a couple big auto clubs in the KC area and money is being pooled and donated to places around here to keep their ICE cars running for a long time as long as upkeep and restoration if needed. Not all of them are middle class earners a few of them have exotics/hyper cars and one of them actually paid and assisted in one of the restoration and upkeep places.

So no offense meant here but Car enthusiasts don't really care about stockholders or what they want people to buy they will buy what they want to buy.

This is not meant to throw stones and I am not in either camp I just don't have anywhere to charge one and the next vehicle we are getting is a truck to tow long distance so an EV isn't for me. I also personally thing as mentioned an EV in a Camaro and a four door Camaro sounds weird.
Devstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #151
Need4Camaro

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS & '99 Camaro Z28
Quote:

The push toward electrification was initiated by the Obama Admin which was still largely in place when our last (and probably final) Republican President took office...and remained largely intact throughout his presidency... Also add onto the fact that GM/Ford makes decisions based on the global market, not just the local government. Nations worldwide have been mandating ICE vehicle bans by 2035. It wouldn't make sense for GM/Ford to produce vehicles that would be outlawed by half of the planet. It makes more financial sense to produce platforms that are legally adoptable in mass by all countries in which they have a market in.

So yes, Government is puppeting the strings in this transition overall. GM/Ford and other large automakers are only adopting.
Need4Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #152
cooldawg

Drives: RAM
This is a good discussion, but I think concerns about the grid are very warranted if this transition takes off. My family will be fine either way. Got the whole house generator just need to get my non-kill switched V8 coupe purchased and stored away. I’m old enough that I don’t need to worry about gasoline going away in my lifetime, and even if it’s ridiculously expensive, I wouldn’t drive it enough to be cost prohibitive.
cooldawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #153
cthulhucaller

Drives: 2022 1SS Team Joe and Becky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathbuck View Post
One day I hope there will be a dual motor, all wheel drive, 3500 pound, two door, 500 horsepower, 10% - 90% charging in 5 minutes EV Camaro. Until then I will enjoy my LT1!
I'd put an order in for one of those as long as it didn't look stupid.
cthulhucaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #154
ChevyRules

Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
The push toward electrification was initiated by the Obama Admin which was still largely in place when our last (and probably final) Republican President took office...and remained largely intact throughout his presidency... Also add onto the fact that GM/Ford makes decisions based on the global market, not just the local government. Nations worldwide have been mandating ICE vehicle bans by 2035. It wouldn't make sense for GM/Ford to produce vehicles that would be outlawed by half of the planet. It makes more financial sense to produce platforms that are legally adoptable in mass by all countries in which they have a market in.

So yes, Government is puppeting the strings in this transition overall. GM/Ford and other large automakers are only adopting.

Last Republican President…..

Ok……… Sure.
ChevyRules is offline   Reply With Quote