Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-03-2017, 04:39 PM   #141
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke.Malvo View Post
Will GM warranty the transmission same as factory if you upgraded, say, from a normal SS 6 speed manual to a ZL1 6 speed manual?
I don't know the answer to that, but that is an apples to oranges comparison. This is not a GT to GT350 or vice versa, it is GT350 to GT350 with the same engine. And again, the owners we are talking about don't need a new transmission. They need a cooling kit that comes with an external pump. They can even charge for it all, just cover it under the existing warranty if installed correctly by an authorized Ford dealer.

But as to your question, GM (and Ford) will warranty many "aftermarket" parts that they make and sell, if installed correctly by an authorized Ford dealer. Like CAI, exhaust, etc... and Ford fill even install a supercharger with a warranty. You probably already know that, but I just don't know what the big deal is. It isn't adding HP stressing other components or something. It is providing added cooling to a crucial component of the car.

Just seems pretty petty by Ford. You buy a GT350, then want to follow the owner's manual and install the "optional coolers", and this is what they come up with?
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 04:55 PM   #142
whiteboyblues2001

Anyway, this thread is getting off topic....

I can't wait to see this comparison. I can't predict which car I think they will pick as the winner. I think the ZL1 will win most, if not all the measured comparisons, but they might pick the GT350 based off of fun factor of the Voodoo engine. I've never driven one, but I'd bet revving out a flat plane crank V8 on a twisty would be thrilling!

It's also going to be fun to see Randy drive these two cars. I hope they let him give some narrative. I like to hear his opinion, and in some episodes, he doesn't talk much.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:00 PM   #143
Zeke.Malvo

Drives: 1969 Mustang MaCh1
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
I don't know the answer to that, but that is an apples to oranges comparison. This is not a GT to GT350 or vice versa, it is GT350 to GT350 with the same engine. And again, the owners we are talking about don't need a new transmission. They need a cooling kit that comes with an external pump. They can even charge for it all, just cover it under the existing warranty if installed correctly by an authorized Ford dealer.

But as to your question, GM (and Ford) will warranty many "aftermarket" parts that they make and sell, if installed correctly by an authorized Ford dealer. Like CAI, exhaust, etc... and Ford fill even install a supercharger with a warranty. You probably already know that, but I just don't know what the big deal is. It isn't adding HP stressing other components or something. It is providing added cooling to a crucial component of the car.

Just seems pretty petty by Ford. You buy a GT350, then want to follow the owner's manual and install the "optional coolers", and this is what they come up with?
Would GM warranty the transmission the same as factory for, say, ZL1 M6 to ZL1 A10?

The point is, I'm pretty sure no manufacturer would warranty a transmission swap no matter what. Ford has no external pump as of now, it is what it is.

I think tech owners are idiots for buying the car and agreeing to be guinea pigs for the rest of consumers. It was pretty obvious that if you wanted to track your car, there was a track version of the car available. Yeah, Ford was pretty vague on the cooler parts, but the buyer of a $60k car should have thought "what do I need to do if I want to upgrade later" and looked into it before jumping into it. More money than common sense I guess.
Old 05-03-2017, 07:40 PM   #144
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Quote:
Would GM warranty the transmission the same as factory for, say, ZL1 M6 to ZL1 A10?

The point is, I'm pretty sure no manufacturer would warranty a transmission swap no matter what. Ford has no external pump as of now, it is what it is.

I think tech owners are idiots for buying the car and agreeing to be guinea pigs for the rest of consumers. It was pretty obvious that if you wanted to track your car, there was a track version of the car available. Yeah, Ford was pretty vague on the cooler parts, but the buyer of a $60k car should have thought "what do I need to do if I want to upgrade later" and looked into it before jumping into it. More money than common sense I guess.
I don't think it's nice to label people idiots based on an assumption which is not unreasonable that they could retrofit the coolers at later date if needed. Let me ask you this: do you think it would be reasonable to assume that you can change the sixth gear ratio of the zl1 to that in the zl1-le when it comes out? What if it turns out you have to buy the whole transmission to do that when it eventually comes out. Would that make you an idiot? How do you find out today? Email Oppenheiser? Or ask your talented local chevy dealer.... ? Seriously be nice man...

We can't even figure out why five of us got a black start button on this forum instead of silver and chevy says it's because we ordered the CF dash which is not even available in 2017... and you think GT350 buyers should have known their transmission was not upgradable with a cooler???
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #145
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdog View Post
Let me ask you this: do you think it would be reasonable to assume that you can change the sixth gear ratio of the zl1 to that in the zl1-le when it comes out? What if it turns out you have to buy the whole transmission to do that when it eventually comes out. Would that make you an idiot?
Yes that would make you an idiot, I really hope you were kidding.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #146
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Quote:
We can't even figure out why five of us got a black start button on this forum instead of silver and chevy says it's because we ordered the CF dash which is not even available in 2017... and you think GT350 buyers should have known their transmission was not upgradable with a cooler???
lol good point.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:31 PM   #147
catdog

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 pdr roof CF blk
Quote:
Yes that would make you an idiot, I really hope you were kidding.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
So based on information available today in terms of what chevy has changed on the zl1-1le compared to zl-1 you think one would be an idiot to assume that the transmission is not all new and incompatible with Zl1 transmiision, I.e gear ratios would not be Interchangeable.... interesting...
catdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:36 PM   #148
Zeke.Malvo

Quote:
So based on information available today in terms of what chevy has changed on the zl1-1le compared to zl-1 you think one would be an idiot to assume that the transmission is not all new and incompatible with Zl1 transmiision, I.e gear ratios would not be Interchangeable.... interesting...
I would not assume that or expect that. And I definitely wouldn't be mad about it afterwards if I decided to gamble on that assumption.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:11 AM   #149
whiteboyblues2001

Quote:
Again, apples to oranges. The GT350 transmission swap is the same transmission, just one with a pump vs. one without.

Quote:
The point is, I'm pretty sure no manufacturer would warranty a transmission swap no matter what.
Yes they would. For example: suppose your transmission failed, and they replace it under warranty. The replacement is still under the same warranty. You might even get a slightly newer version, that has an extra feature (like a pump or something). They do this all the time. And I am pretty sure if GM's issues with the Z06 called for a replacement transmission, they would warranty it. They warrantied their solution for Z06, but they weren't stupid enough to solve a cooling problem by tossing out a perfectly good transmission. If Ford is that stupid, that's on them.

Quote:
Ford has no external pump as of now, it is what it is.
Yes, it is what it is: extremely terrible customer service. I mean how many pumps would they have to provide anyway. It's not like this effects many cars, as the GT350 is pretty limited in number, and this doesn't effect all of them, and many folks won't upgrade anyway. Terrible customer service is what it is.

Quote:
No, what is stupid is, a company that tries to recreate the past of a GT350, a dedicated track car, and build one that can't go on a track. That's stupid. Then put out confusing marketing, causing 2/3's of their customers to buy the non-trackable version, then put out a solution that isn't one (you have to buy an unnecessary transmission, and then they still don't address the differenetrial cooling), make the customer pay for the unnecessary transmission, don't warranty it, and then wonder why you get dragged into court. THAT is stupid. A simple pump, cooler, some lines and brackets, and a warranty on a handful of cars would have saved them from defending the company against a lawsuit. STUPID!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #150
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:

GM replaced my supercharger and also gave me an additional 10 yr/120K mile supercharger warranty to boot. Thats what customer service is supposed to be like after the sale and it just makes it easy to become a loyal customer.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:01 AM   #151
Mr. Meh

Drives: Sold
Quote:

I just spit out my coffee...
Mr. Meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #152
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:

Then I must be one of those idiots you are talking about. There was no Ford manual to read when I bought my Tech Pack. There was a 2017 sitting right next to mine with a shitty radio. I was not going to track mine and the dealer did not point this out because they knew I would not buy it. The manual says that if the purchaser wanted to track it, then they must add coolers. But Ford did not offer any coolers and did not say you have to replace the transmission. I for sure would not buy it. It was "the GT350 Edsel".

I got in touch with Isaac Ireland at Ford Performance and said that even with changing everything by a Ford dealer and paying $10k to fix everything myself, that it would void my warranty for the trans. And if any part of that caused failure, then the rest of the drive train warranty would be voided.

Ford sucks.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:12 AM   #153
detltu

Drives: 1992 Z28 1LE; 2015 Zl1
The detltu has learned some details regarding the GT350 program as well as the upcoming GT500.

The GT350 program was rushed to market so that comparisons between the previous generation Z/28 could pushed through the magazines and grab headlines for the new GT350R. Ford knew their only chance for a favorable comparison against the Camaro was to compare the car to the previous generation. They knew that the new alpha platform would easily destroy anything they could put out. To meet their price target they removed essential cooling items that were required from the beginning for the car to perform any sort of performance testing. In the rush to market and attempt to meet price targets, they did not perform adequate testing on the base/tech packages which caused the major issues we are seeing now. Now they are getting sued by their own loyal customers and are in complete panic.

Many have noticed that the GT500 mules have been spotted for quite some time without any real news on when it will actually come out. The detltu has learned the reason for this incredible delay. Fords intention with the GT500 was to release the car shortly after the Camaro ZL1 debut much like what happened in the 5th generation. The plan was this car would beat the Hellcat and Zl1 in straight line speed and hold it's own versus the ZL1 on a road course. The last part proved to be a challenge based on Fords projection of ZL1 performance. Once the ZL1 was released, Ford knew they were in trouble on the track but decided they could proceed knowing they would be the fastest of the three in a straight line.... Then came the demon. Now Ford had nothing. The Demon would stomp them in a straight line and the Zl1 would stomp them on the track. They needed to win at least one of those arenas so they went back to the drawing board and decided to attack the Zl1's track prowess....then came the 1LE. Ford knows they can't match the Demon in a straight line and they can't match the 1LE on a road course so they have stopped further develoment and are focusing on how to market a car that isn't the best at anything. The current plan is to promote that it is faster than a Zl1 in a straight line and faster than a Demon around a track. They will be releasing it in the next 12 months.

Finally a note on sales. Ford has been desperately trying to hold onto the sales crown as the lone bright spot for the Mustang. They have been pushing fleet sales to rental car companies hard and basically at cost. Now those sales are starting to dry up and the mustang sales numbers are coming back down to earth. The refresh looks to be a disaster so don't expect that to change anytime soon.

Note: The preceding has been completely fabricated BS for entertainment purposes only. If it made your blood boil please go out and have a nice drive in your Mustang and cool off. If you loved it and thought it was funny go out and have a nice drive in your Camaro.
1991 Camaro Z28 1LE-
1992 Camaro Z28 1LE- 25th anniversary
2015 Camaro ZL1
detltu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #154
unavailablezl1

Drives: 2019 Silverado Z71 6.2L A10
Quote:
No, what is stupid is, a company that tries to recreate the past of a GT350, a dedicated track car, and build one that can't go on a track. That's stupid. Then put out confusing marketing, causing 2/3's of their customers to buy the non-trackable version, then put out a solution that isn't one (you have to buy an unnecessary transmission, and then they still don't address the differenetrial cooling), make the customer pay for the unnecessary transmission, don't warranty it, and then wonder why you get dragged into court. THAT is stupid. A simple pump, cooler, some lines and brackets, and a warranty on a handful of cars would have saved them from defending the company against a lawsuit. STUPID!
Ford IS stupid. Ford Corporation phuked me 3 times(1991 Truck, 2014 Mustang GT and the 2016 GT350 Tech Pack), so they have completely struck out in my opinion. The rest of my life I will make it a point to tell my story so no one will buy any Fords anywhere.

Past Rides
2017 M6 Camaro ZL1 Hyper Blue
2016 M6 GT350 White with blue strips
2014 M6 Mustang GT Premium Track Pack Ruby Red
2012 M6 M3 Melbourne Red Metallic
unavailablezl1 is offline   Reply With Quote