#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 04-04-2018, 12:36 PM   #127
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
I’m no Demon expert but ...the crate? ...that isn’t technically sold with the car? ...because it’s contents, if installed at the factory, would render it not street legal? ...like a COPO? ...except it has no cage? ...so it’s not strip legal (9s)? ...unlike a COPO?

So there is no misunderstanding. Give me one and my Camaro will lose its garage spot and be parked in the driveway.
My take on the Demon is that with the crate I would still consider it "stock" they aren't parts from the Mopar performance catalog. It's not like buying a Mustang and buying parts from Ford Racing or Camaro buying GM perfomance parts.

The Demon crate is a $1 option offered from the factory once your order is accepted. Yes you might have to pick up the crate at parts department but the crate is a $1 option for the vehicle.

Now if you want to argue show room stock than yeah I guess you have point there, but I would still consider the Demon with crate parts installed because it's a factory option
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:17 PM   #128
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
My take on the Demon is that with the crate I would still consider it "stock" they aren't parts from the Mopar performance catalog. It's not like buying a Mustang and buying parts from Ford Racing or Camaro buying GM perfomance parts.

The Demon crate is a $1 option offered from the factory once your order is accepted. Yes you might have to pick up the crate at parts department but the crate is a $1 option for the vehicle.

Now if you want to argue show room stock than yeah I guess you have point there, but I would still consider the Demon with crate parts installed because it's a factory option
As described by Dodge in the C&D article, the crate is not sold with the car so it is not an option. The buyer is given a voucher that allows them to buy it separately. The crate parts can not be installed by the factory and still carry a VIN. So is it really stock?

It is a technicality but still an accurate description of what Dodge did. Two advertised power ratings. Stock and with the crate module.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:23 PM   #129
JB'sZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
You really don't get it. Sad.
Hah. Perhaps I'm accustomed to conversing with above room temp IQ persons.

Show me the dependable 6 second car for under $100k. And then let's compare the demon to Ford GT, 918 or Model S since you are avid about comparing the Z to a car that costs twice as much.

I "get" a lot more than you can possibly fathom. As I stated, there is no direct comparison $125k 10 second car (unless you mod the Z for an extra $10-$20k).
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:35 PM   #130
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Wrong. It makes more power than a hellcat and has all the extras to allow the car to make more power with the higher octane gas. There is a large number of differences between the demon and a hellcat without the crate even being factored in.
Yes, there are some components that are different, such as the transbrake, the half cage, the widebody components, to name just a few. However, from the outside, it essentially comes in a Hellcat setup. That's all my point was about. You don't get a Demon delivered with the 840 hp/skinnies. You have to physically install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Haha, funniest post in this thread yet. You couldnt be more wrong. You really should read about the Demon. It will help you to be more informed.
I probably have read more about the Demon than you have, considering a person I consider to be a good friend has driven them in testing and has logged more time in the SRT cars than anyone on this forum combined. It's really not that impressive of a vehicle. The technology in the car (transbrake, the tuning setup, the blower) those are really interesting...

Outside of that, what is really impressive about the car? Put a bigger blower on the Camaro, and you have the same results....

The major difference in this car is its only design was for 1/4 mile time....it succeeded very damn well in what it does, and for that, I do give it all the props in the world....
Old 04-04-2018, 01:56 PM   #131
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsReject97 View Post
Yes, there are some components that are different, such as the transbrake, the half cage, the widebody components, to name just a few. However, from the outside, it essentially comes in a Hellcat setup. That's all my point was about. You don't get a Demon delivered with the 840 hp/skinnies. You have to physically install it.

I probably have read more about the Demon than you have, considering a person I consider to be a good friend has driven them in testing and has logged more time in the SRT cars than anyone on this forum combined. It's really not that impressive of a vehicle. The technology in the car (transbrake, the tuning setup, the blower) those are really interesting...

Outside of that, what is really impressive about the car? Put a bigger blower on the Camaro, and you have the same results....

The major difference in this car is its only design was for 1/4 mile time....it succeeded very damn well in what it does, and for that, I do give it all the props in the world....
I really dont car who your friends are. Your comment is completely wrong. That car is very different from a Hellcat and the fact that the computer and wheels that allow for skinnies come in a box instead of on the car make no difference. The car was designed to use them. Maybe you just dont have the ability to retain information since you know more about it than the rest of us. Who knows.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #132
DevilsReject97
Nightmare

Drives: Your mom crazy in bed
Quote:
That car is very different from a Hellcat and the fact that the computer and wheels that allow for skinnies come in a box instead of on the car make no difference. The car was designed to use them.
Got news for ya, but the car isn't all that different...

Different hood - Demon only
Different blower - supposedly becoming available for standard Hellcat
Widebody kit that now becomes standard option for 2019 Hellcats
Transbrake
Half-cage
Optional different computer with tune
18" wheels instead of 20" wheels
Drag tires instead of standard street tires
Skinnies up front as an option
Two stage fuel pump
Option to have only front seat instead of all seats - ala Z/28 from 5th Gen

It's not that dramatically different from the Hellcat. Same motor, same trans, same suspension, same body pretty much (as evidenced by the fact its now coming out for sale on standard Hellcats)

It's still a magnificent piece of drag racing work...and it sounds freaking amazing as you hear it go by...
Old 04-04-2018, 02:18 PM   #133
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
As described by Dodge in the C&D article, the crate is not sold with the car so it is not an option. The buyer is given a voucher that allows them to buy it separately. The crate parts can not be installed by the factory and still carry a VIN. So is it really stock?

It is a technicality but still an accurate description of what Dodge did. Two advertised power ratings. Stock and with the crate module.

I think we arguing semantics lol. I'd say we most likely will have to agree to disagree. I see your point, it's valid it/s not showroom stock but at same time Dodge made no secrets that the times they hit were with the optional Demon crate. Now I did a little digging and from what I can see you can't get the crate till you take delivery because they serialize the crate to the car and the owner ( i believe the owner's name goes somewhere on the crate been a long day lol)
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #134
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Hah. Perhaps I'm accustomed to conversing with above room temp IQ persons.

Show me the dependable 6 second car for under $100k. And then let's compare the demon to Ford GT, 918 or Model S since you are avid about comparing the Z to a car that costs twice as much.

I "get" a lot more than you can possibly fathom. As I stated, there is no direct comparison $125k 10 second car (unless you mod the Z for an extra $10-$20k).
Nobody said anything about a "dependable" car. You said with $40k more you could make the Z beat the Demon. And I said for that kind of money you could build a car to be much faster. You're just reaching for straws.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:08 PM   #135
motorhead

Quote:
Got news for ya, but the car isn't all that different...

Different hood - Demon only
Different blower - supposedly becoming available for standard Hellcat
Widebody kit that now becomes standard option for 2019 Hellcats
Transbrake
Half-cage
Optional different computer with tune
18" wheels instead of 20" wheels
Drag tires instead of standard street tires
Skinnies up front as an option
Two stage fuel pump
Option to have only front seat instead of all seats - ala Z/28 from 5th Gen

It's not that dramatically different from the Hellcat. Same motor, same trans, same suspension, same body pretty much (as evidenced by the fact its now coming out for sale on standard Hellcats)

It's still a magnificent piece of drag racing work...and it sounds freaking amazing as you hear it go by...
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/look-...ns-840hp-hemi/ I got the right news for you.

You need to read this. The motor alone is vastly different. The car Also uses the AC system in drag mode to cool the air charge (hellcat doesnt). The suspension system is also different than the hellcat not the same. It allows for those wheel standing launches. You are trying to pass this car off as a Hellcat with a larger supercharger and downplaying its other 114 differences.

Last edited by motorhead; 04-04-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-04-2018, 04:10 PM   #136
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:

It like the Hellcat is designed for the area where enthusiasts will spend 99% of their time in street/strip. It's a comfortable bad nasty great looking ride. That oh can go to the track and rip low 10s and high 9s all with out warranty busting modifications. But yes it will not set record ring times, and who the blank cares.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #137
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB'sZL1 View Post
Sheeesh...I'd rather be driving. The drama...

I'll state that the demon will beat a Z hands down in a drag any day of the week...but in nothing else. Add $30-$40k mods to the Z to make things commensurate, the Z will hands down beat the demon every which way to Sunday.
When you'r spending north of $59K what's a couple bucks anyway?
Thing about the Demon is that Fiat dropped the ball on building the car with an 8.50 legal roll bar AND the Nissan truck wheel well flares are kind silly looking.
Be nice if Chevy would respond with their own street legal 9 second car but they won't.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:13 PM   #138
bigmike32172

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
In all reality, Dodge essentially wanted to keep somewhat of a foothold in the upper class HP wars with the Hellcat & Demon since losing their Viper after 2017.
I'd be willing to bet my ZL1 that Dodge will re-release the Viper in 2022 since it'll be the anniversary edition when it was originally released in 1992, and I'd imagine that it'll have at least 1,000hp.
bigmike32172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:20 PM   #139
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
When you'r spending north of $59K what's a couple bucks anyway?
Thing about the Demon is that Fiat dropped the ball on building the car with an 8.50 legal roll bar AND the Nissan truck wheel well flares are kind silly looking.
Be nice if Chevy would respond with their own street legal 9 second car but they won't.
The Z/28 had wheel flares too. You do what you have to to fit the big meats. I like the look myself. The sides dont look as flat with them.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:53 PM   #140
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
The Z/28 had wheel flares too. You do what you have to to fit the big meats. I like the look myself. The sides dont look as flat with them.
Bolt on Fender Flares on a Camaro.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote