Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 10-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
130R

Drives: SS
Is it really so difficult?

[soap box]
To stay in your freakin' lane??? ESPECIALLY in a Z/28???

It's getting to the point of not even being fun to drive in the canyons anymore. I was up at another canyon last Sunday (Little Tujunga for those familiar with the area), I sat in one turn for about 10 minutes and all 5 cars that came by were 1 - 2 feet over the line in most of the corners. I left soon after because more of these wannabe racers were showing up and I was afraid someone would hit me on my way down. That SUCKS!

I don't even drive through the Snake on Sundays between 11A - and 5P, it's just too risky. And THAT sucks!

Sorry, but if you have to cross the line, you don't know what you're doing, and really should slow down a bit, for everyones safety.

The really pathetic thing is, most people crossing the line don't need to at the speeds their going, but for whatever reason, do so anyway.[/soap box]

http://shop.rockstorephotos.com/p435...790f#h3d2f790f
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Zslash28
Jumanji

Drives: '14 Z/28 - AGM - No A/C
Yes. It is nerve racking!
Zslash28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
I understand what you are saying, and I am in agreement.
But ya know you should change that picture.... unless you wanted to show a picture of what you are complaining about.
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 08:31 PM   #4
130R

Drives: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalot View Post
I understand what you are saying, and I am in agreement.
But ya know you should change that picture.... unless you wanted to show a picture of what you are complaining about.
Why? His tire is completely outside of the double yellows, and the tire is almost 12 inches wide, meaning he's at least 1 foot over the line. There is just no excuse for this kind of piss-poor driving in the canyons, especially in a high-performance car.

These cars are wide, 6.3 feet to be exact, and I'm pretty sure the lanes on Mulholland are 9 feet wide, at their widest (there are some canyons I literally only have inches on either side of my car) that leaves ~1.5 feet on either side of the Camaro when in the center of the lane. When an incompetent driver crosses over the lines, in this case a 6.3 foot wide Z/28, that leaves ~6 inches of clearance for the oncoming car (assuming he's in the middle of the lane).

Get out a ruler, and tell me how comfortable you'd feel coming around a corner to find another car, with a closing speed of 70 MPH (assuming both going 35 MPH), 6 inches from you.

This is a real sore spot with me because, like many of you, I've spent quite a bit of time fixing up my car, and REALLY enjoy driving it. Fortunately I live near some really good canyons. Unfortunately there seem to be more-and-more asshats in them these days.

I see this crap ALL THE TIME. Not only from people trying to drive fast, but by people literally going 10 MPH; it simply dumbfounds me!!!

This isn't my recording, but it IS the same road. Sadly, this happens so often up there it's the reason I started using a video camera, because you can just bet the incompetent asshat that crosses the line and crashes into you, will say YOU were the one that crossed the line and hit him. Sad, but true…

Seriously, if you're an incompetent stump that can't stay in your lane, do everyone a favor and stick to the straight roads…
130R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Sadly, the Early Apexers walk amongst us. And I'm not talking on-track -- people can't even execute a simple 90-degree turn at an intersection without early apexing, nearly clipping the curb, and then aiming for my door when they realize they'll curb a wheel. Sadly, the ONLY thing a US driver's license is good for is as an ID when buying booze...
Old 10-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
macalot

Drives: 1969 Z/28 + 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130R View Post
Why? His tire is completely outside of the double yellows, and the tire is almost 12 inches wide, meaning he's at least 1 foot over the line. There is just no excuse for this kind of piss-poor driving in the canyons, especially in a high-performance car.

Seriously, if you're an incompetent stump that can't stay in your lane, do everyone a favor and stick to the straight roads…
Sorry, my bad, I figured the picture in your original post was you in your car!
macalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #7
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
As I mentioned in another thread, they should test you every year, and not just a written test.
They should test, attitude, experience, platform, coutesy, etc.
Also, having been a cop, and having responded to horrific crashes where the at fault party is a total douche, I also think that repeat offenders, or people who drive beyond the limits of their platform or talent should be subject to having their foot or hand smashed with a hammer. No courts, just right there on the scene by the traffic cop. That would almost be enough to make me want to be a cop again
Old 10-29-2014, 12:38 PM   #8
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan01 View Post
As I mentioned in another thread, they should test you every year, and not just a written test.
They should test, attitude, experience, platform, coutesy, etc.
Also, having been a cop, and having responded to horrific crashes where the at fault party is a total douche, I also think that repeat offenders, or people who drive beyond the limits of their platform or talent should be subject to having their foot or hand smashed with a hammer. No courts, just right there on the scene by the traffic cop. That would almost be enough to make me want to be a cop again
If you smashed people's hand with a hammer for driving like crap, we would have no functioning police officers. I see cops drive worse than anyone else. Speeding, running red lights, changing lanes or turning without signaling. On duty cops are by far the worst collection of drivers I have ever seen.
Old 10-29-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Come on over to the Devils highway. 100 miles of 400 twisties and almost 0 traffic. Last time I drove the entire stretch and came up on zero cars and maybe 5 coming the other way, in 100 miles!

http://www.arizonaroadadventures.com/CoronadoTrail.html

Via lightning from a large Hammer.
Old 10-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #10
danvillekidd
2013 ZL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Come on over to the Devils highway. 100 miles of 400 twisties and almost 0 traffic. Last time I drove the entire stretch and came up on zero cars and maybe 5 coming the other way, in 100 miles!

http://www.arizonaroadadventures.com/CoronadoTrail.html

I've been down that road exactly one time, north to south, and almost rammed a car coming the other direction because he was halfway into my lane. It was a blind corner at that, and a long way down the side of the mountain with no guardrail. Because I was driving under my and the cars limits, I still had more brake to use and came almost to a complete stop so he could use my lane. It still happens on that stretch of road as well.
danvillekidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by danvillekidd View Post
I've been down that road exactly one time, north to south, and almost rammed a car coming the other direction because he was halfway into my lane. It was a blind corner at that, and a long way down the side of the mountain with no guardrail. Because I was driving under my and the cars limits, I still had more brake to use and came almost to a complete stop so he could use my lane. It still happens on that stretch of road as well.
That sucks, I had such a great experience. I plan to go back many times. I stayed in my lane the entire trip.
When I compare it to other roads it's a dream!