Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

View Poll Results: Do you plan to get this recall if you had a choice?
Yes 245 15.30%
No 1,356 84.70%
Voters: 1601. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2014, 10:23 AM   #127
z28man2

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Coupe IOM
GM Press Release:

DETROIT – General Motors will recall all current generation Chevrolet Camaros because a driver’s knee can bump the key FOB and cause the key to inadvertently move out of the “run” position, with a corresponding reduction or loss of power.

The issue, which may primarily affect drivers sitting close to the steering column, was discovered by GM during internal testing following the ignition switch recall earlier this year.

“Discovering and acting on this issue quickly is an example of the new norm for product safety at GM,” said Jeff Boyer, vice president of GM Global Safety.

The Camaro ignition system meets all GM engineering specifications and is unrelated to the ignition system used in Chevrolet Cobalts and other small cars included in the ignition switch recall.

GM is aware of three crashes that resulted in four minor injuries that it believes may be attributed to this condition.

The company will change the Camaro key to a standard design from one in which the key is concealed in the FOB and is opened by pushing a button. The change will make the ignition key and FOB independent of each other, so that inadvertent contact with the FOB won’t move the key from the “run” position. There are 464,712 Camaros from the 2010-2014 model years in the U.S. included in the recall. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 511,528.

Separately, GM also announced two safety recalls and one non-compliance recall involving a total of 65,121 cars in the U.S. all three of which were reported to the NHTSA on Wednesday, June 11, 2014. Including Canada, Mexico and exports, the total recall population is 69,839.

In all cases, customers will receive letters from GM letting them know when they can bring their vehicles into a dealership, where the recall repairs will be performed free of charge and courtesy transportation would be provided as needed.

The recalls:

28,789 Saab 9-3 convertibles from the 2004-2011 model years for an automatic tensioning system cable in the driver’s side front seat belt retractor that could break. If the cable were to break, seat belt webbing spooled out by the driver would not retract. The convertibles and sedans were investigated at the same time, but the convertible parts were not identical to the sedan parts. GM has since learned of customer complaints to the NHTSA for the convertibles. Dealers will replace the driver’s side retractor in the recalled vehicles. In addition, GM has issued a special coverage, so that if the same repair is required to the passenger side retractor it will be covered for the life of the vehicle. GM also extended the special coverage for passenger side belt retractors on the 2004 Saab 9-3 sedan from the original 10-year coverage to the life of the vehicle, like the convertibles. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities due to this condition.

21,567 Chevrolet Sonic 2012 model year compacts equipped with a six-speed automatic transmission and a 1.8-liter four-cylinder engine for a condition in which the transmission turbine shaft may fracture as a result of a supplier quality issue. If this were to occur in first or second gear, the vehicle could not upshift into third through sixth gears. If the turbine shift fractured while in one of the higher gears, the vehicle would coast until it was moving slow enough to downshift into first or second gear. In both instances, a malfunction indicator lamp may illuminate. If driven in this condition for a long period of time, all forward gears may become inoperable. The engine would continue to run and all power accessories would function. Dealers will replace the transmission turbine shaft. GM is unaware of any crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.

14,765 model year 2014 Buick LaCrosse sedans because a wiring splice in the driver’s door may corrode and break. That may communicate incorrect information to circuits that control the door chime and allow passenger windows, rear windows and the sunroof to function when the vehicle is turned off and the driver is not in the vehicle. In addition, a chime will not sound when the driver’s door is opened if the key is in the ignition.

Dealers will inspect the driver door window motor harness and, if necessary, replace an electrical splice. GM is unaware of any thefts, crashes, injuries or fatalities related to this condition.
2013 Camaro ZL-1 #3553, IOM, Roto-Fab Intake, Vmax Ported TB, Apex Catch Can
z28man2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:24 AM   #128
MikeInVegas

Drives: 2013 2SS
I don't like this but it makes sense from GM's point of view. They screwed up badly with the other key switches and are going to get their pants sued off.

As for me, I'll probably hang on to my old key.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM   #129
Camdunne

Drives: 2011 SS Camaro vert. M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Jett View Post
You can "inadvertently" hit a regular key as well. Push button is only true way to solve that problem
Exactly! The exact same problem would occur if solid key or foldable key...!!! this does not solve the problem...if one really exists...the only way to solve this is 2 ways...1. move the ignition switch...or 2. make it flat with a push button.
Camdunne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #130
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
What are the odds that they will be replacing the lock cylinder itself to prevent the accidental hitting with the knee and knocking it out of run. I'll bet that's what they do.

If that's the case, you'll need a new key to fit the new locking cylinder mechanism, which means the new cylinder will come with a new key to fit it, thus rendering your old key inoperable.

However since manufacturing a complete new fob/key switchblade would be expensive, they take the cheaper/simpler route and just provide a standard non-switchblade key.

I'd imagine you'll still need to keep the fob since it's electronically keyed to the various function of the car such as remote start or remote locks, etc, etc.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:26 AM   #131
Retro69

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Nope, not me... keeping my swiss-army-knife key.

Retro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #132
MikeInVegas

Drives: 2013 2SS
I'm not tall enough for this to be a problem. It is obvious that GM has to be proactive about these types of problem as they are going to get sued big time for the people who were killed with the other key problems.

With all these key problems, how long before they put pushbutton start in their cars?
Old 06-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #133
SS Jett

Drives: 2013 ZL1 #17
This is in other part of the forums and I wrote in them I'm not doing. It's stupid.
SS Jett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #134
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Not gonna do it!
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #135
nferno
nferno SSLS3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdunne View Post
Exactly! The exact same problem would occur if solid key or foldable key...!!! this does not solve the problem...if one really exists...the only way to solve this is 2 ways...1. move the ignition switch...or 2. make it flat with a push button.
Agreed
Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #136
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
And again....from the beginning...what did I say???

PUSH BUTTON START

Sounds like a much better idea NOW doesnt it, GM!!!

SMH!
I couldn't yell it loud enough Tag.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:30 AM   #137
Caddyroger

Drives: 2011 RJT Camaro LT2 RS auto shift
Grammar police do not read.
I might go the other way. I have aftermarket alarm and remote start start installed. I do not use fob key pad. It would mean losing a big clunky fob from my pocket.
They are bunch of use that has after market alarms the was trying to get rid of the fob and just use the key. Now is our chance to do this for free.
I wish they would go to a push start. My daughter BMW has it It uses a fob like ours You insert in a slot in the dash then push the button to stop and start the car..
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #138
JR 1

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate33 View Post
has happened to me...2x's

im 6-4 and knees close to steering column. First time...went to adjust position in seat and hit key and it shutoff. Not cool when going 75 in left lane on rt 78 in NJ
That really sucks it happened to you, glad you didn't have an incident.

I would honestly like to know, do you think if you had a regular key with a separate fob hanging off it that it would have prevented it from happening? Personally it seems like it would make the situation worse if anything. There would be more bulk hanging from the ignition for you to hit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInVegas View Post
I don't like this but it makes sense from GM's point of view. They screwed up badly with the other key switches and are going to get their pants sued off.
It only makes sense for GM or anyone else if it solves the problem. You can still hit a regular key with your knee, and adding an extra key fob only increases the target.
JR 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 AM   #139
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Yea my knee isn't even really near it that it would be a worry.

Old 06-13-2014, 10:32 AM   #140
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
It will make no difference. I have bumped my knee on the regular style keys as well. It still turns shit off. This is a waste of time and money that fixes nothing.

Tags
2014, camaro, new camaro, question, recall