Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #15
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
heres two shots the took at the show. one is mine and the other is my buddies S2k with me standing next to it lol.

Off Topic, but what ever happened with that race between you two Denis?

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #16
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohdeo16 View Post
Off Topic, but what ever happened with that race between you two Denis?
we havent done it yet. hes getting a whole new turbo manifold and twin scroll installed next month. soooooo i guess we'll see in the spring.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #17
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trob85 View Post
Depends on where you're at and the judging around here it seems mostly older classic cars or newer models with crappy cheap chrome accents or (in my opinion) those ugly lambo doors anything that has the hey look at me factor. There's one car show I go to every year on July 4th the judges look for quality of work and what's been done rather than the look at me people. So if I were you I would go with your car and just experience it my buddy put it the best, if nothing else you got out of the house and got to see some cool cars.
Went to a car show last year "mostly older hotrods and classics", paid a $15 entry fee, and when the judging started, 2 of the judges walked past me and my uncles Camaros, gave the stink eye and kept walking. We were never judged, I felt pretty disrespected, I understand that they were more interested in the older cars, but if im PAYING an entry fee to enter my car, you need to judge me like everyone else, that was a little crooked IMO
Old 02-06-2014, 10:09 AM   #18
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
The way I see it is that you go for the fun and the cars and the people. If you get a shiny trinket that in 2 or 3 years nobody's going to give two damns about but you, then that's icing on the cake. I go for the experience, networking, and the fun. And if you go to say, a Camaro event, you can get some great mod ideas or see some mod ideas that you may have had actually in use to see if you still want to do the mod.

If you shoot for winning a car show instead of going to have fun and socialize, to me, that's the wrong reason and you'll be disappointed more often than not.

I've judged before against score sheets (best method IMO, but not perfect) and the MAIN THING is that your car is CLEAN as a hospital operating room and NEAT, as in spotless chrome and smooth, uniform paint. I know it's a PITA, but if you can shine a light somewhere and see dirt, you got to clean it. Having trinkets like those tiny model cars sitting on top of the engine doesn't help, or those stupid "kids crying on the bumper" dolls (I just wanted to kick them away like a football). Or those 6 foot storyboards that is a wall of words and pictures that may inform the show go-ers but doesn't mean squat in judging. It might help in some locales, but nothing where I've ever been a part of judging. I view those as detracting from the car and you should be making your car the showpiece (unless it's part of the THEME- example, a guy had an old ambulance and had a stethoscope hanging from the rearview mirror and a first aid kit and what looked like medical tools in the back).

And don't get too out of sorts if that flat black 55 Chevy ratrod beats you out. Too many factors and bias abounds at smaller shows. The sooner you learn that, the better off you'll be. Your tastes may or may not align with the judges'.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 AM   #19
DieselAries1

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I've won a few with my motorcycle and one with my truck. I just tried to ensure they were spotless. The one on my motorcycle was actually on the front of the state news paper.

DieselAries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #20
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
My priority at any car show is to socialize,hang out, have fun, and look at cool cars, but I still like the competition that car shows have.i dont become down in the dumps if I dont place, but to me it is just disrespectful for me to pay an entry fee and then not get the same attention from the judges that every other vehicle gets. Some car show sponsors will tell you that their show is really for 19xx thru 19xx model vehicles so late model cars will not be considered, which is good because at least they are letting you know that you will be wasting an entry fee. To me it just seems dishonest to accept entry fees from late model car owners if you have no intent to judge them.

I laughed about the "crying baby on bumper doll" , I see those quite regularly at shows
Old 02-06-2014, 10:56 AM   #21
Trob85
Svt lol

Drives: 2011 ss inferno orange blown
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Went to a car show last year "mostly older hotrods and classics", paid a $15 entry fee, and when the judging started, 2 of the judges walked past me and my uncles Camaros, gave the stink eye and kept walking. We were never judged, I felt pretty disrespected, I understand that they were more interested in the older cars, but if im PAYING an entry fee to enter my car, you need to judge me like everyone else, that was a little crooked IMO
Amen to that it's sad when people walk by my car and look under the hood and don't realize I have more in power adders and mods than most people do in their entire "restoration".
Trob85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #22
2fullgarage
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2018 SS Vert
Brand new bone stock, just picked up, 2014 LT/RS. just beat out some of the best modified Camaros in central Florida at a recent show.....Don't figure
(best in class 2000- 2014 trophy)..but congrats to him..
car was CLEAN

2fullgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #23
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I agree with you and its happened to me more then once. They dont even judge it yet still took your money. One that sticks out that was the most shadiest Ive ever seen was last year a few members of my club went to a local car show for our local shriners where about 300 cars showed up and it was a $10 entry fee. Well to make a long story short, one of the ways they judged was based on your cars age so you got "bonus points" So many points for the older your car. So to break it down, my car was judged in 4 categories for 10 points each so the max points I could get was 40 since mine wasn't old enough to get the bonus points BUT say a 1932 street rod gets an automatic 60 points for being so old regardless of looks, etc plus the other 10 points in 4 categories so basically they would blow anyone away in points regardless of the quality of car itself. It was a strategic way to have new car bias. I was pissed bc my $$ is just as good as anyone else's. Everyone that had cars that were 1970 and newer where pissed bc they didnt even make it on the list and vowed to never go back. This is the same show where my dad and I both walked away the year before with a trophy (he has a 1932 coupe) apparently they changed the way they judged and snubbed all the "new" car owners so they lost me and my clubs participation for the future. If you dont want new cars, then say that. They virtually stole our $$ bc there was no way in hell anyone 1970 or newer could win. Very shady.
Old 02-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #24
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
About the entry fees...look at it this way, even if you don't place, you got some of the GREATEST PARKING for the event for relatively cheap!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #25
Diode Dynamics

Drives: Camaro Lighting Experts
I never get to enter shows since my car is in our vendor tent when I do bring it to shows.

However, I have been asked to judge an event this year (first time as a judge) and I will be judging every car differently. I'd like to meet the owner of each car and really know the story behind the car and the mods.

It's not all about who has the most expensive car or the most mods IMO. I'm a fan of a really clean looking car that has a few things here and there vs. a bunch of stuff bought from a catalog and stuck onto the car just to change something.

When someone designs a part by hand and it turns out good that's always a plus IMO, or something that I haven't seen before.

I love car shows and I can't wait for the weather to get nice here!

Nick C.
Diode Dynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM   #26
DefianceDan
VroomVroom

Drives: 2017 50th 2SS
I would say if you go to car shows with the thought of winning - your missing the point. Go and have fun!

But that being said, it's definitely the little things that make a difference. I took the engine cover off my V6 and it was an instant 'wow...what is that?' (and earned me my first trophy) LOL

Old 02-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #27
supasport

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
does winning car shows get you sponsored? i dont mean to change the disussion but i also wondered as well...how people get sponsored? do they ask, are they asked?
Old 02-06-2014, 04:35 PM   #28
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by supasport View Post
does winning car shows get you sponsored? i dont mean to change the disussion but i also wondered as well...how people get sponsored? do they ask, are they asked?
Yes it helps. The more known your car is the more likely it will get sponsored. I have a cleaning sponsor that supplies all my cleaning products and I've had a few companies that have given me certain mods to promote their product. My car is also on a few websites as a display vehicle for certain products as well. All of the sponsors approached me. I may be getting a sponsor for headers, not sure yet. Its still in the talking phase. My car has appeared in magazines, websites, calendars, etc.