Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #225
js59

Drives: G8 GT
I didn't read all 10 pages of this thread, but am I the only one surprised that the Z28 time was only 4 seconds quicker than the ZL1?

Before everyone piles on, I'm a big GM fan - and a fan of the Z28. I have a C6 Z06 Corvette and a Gen 2 CTS-V.

With carbon ceramic brakes, the weight reduction, special tires, high tech suspension, much higher MSRP (15k?), shaving 4 seconds off of a 450 second lap time is a little underwhelming. Let's be honest - this is probably as close to a purspose-built race car as we have seen in many, many years.

It seems like you could put a supercharger pulley on the ZL-1 and be back on top - for less money and more comfort.

Am I the only one that feels this way?
js59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #226
SEVEN-OH JOE
Account Suspended

Drives: some to distraction
The Power-to-Weight chart shows most of the answer. By analyzing those numbers, the answers come more into focus.

How much are C-C Brakes and gummy tires worth? In this case, about 1/2 a lb/hp. The weight savings are nullified by the ZL1's greater hp. And also keep in mind the ZL1's greater speeds in the high-speed sections.

This also explains why the GT500, with such a lopsided Power-to-Weight advantage, is apparently able to nip the ZL1. Barely.

It is CLEAR that, were either Camaro able to have a Power-to-Weight ratio lower than 6.0 lb/hp (like the GT500), this Brand competition would have been over before it started.
SEVEN-OH JOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #227
CobraBall

Drives: Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
Which makes me wonder in your statement which "pro drivers" stated this? Names of them? The reason I ask is ask most "pro drivers" would not want to wrestle an unruly car around all day? Maybe you are referencing Randy Pobst? I believe the Mustang requires more steering input because of the live axle. I know my Mustang did on the Streets of Willow. The only PTM mode I use on my ZL1 is the wet setting when the road is damp.
I've read on several occasions that the pros prefer the Boss because it's more fun to drive, not necessarily because it can run a faster lap time. If you're buying a car solely for its lap time, you're sorta missing the point.

Quote:
NASCAR, that paragon of leading-edge technology, insists on solid-axle architecture. And they'd be the ONLY non-production-based major motorsports body who does...
They also had to redesign certain elements of the 5th gen Camaro just to keep up with that archaic stick axle. I'm not bashing the Camaro, but let's be honest here - that's why all the 'rags loved the new 5.0 when it came out back in 2010, it did just about everything better than the Camaro did, including handling with its 1930s era rear axle technology.

Ford uses SRAs, GM uses pushrod engines - who cares if it's ancient technology, if it works, right?

Quote:
I agree 1000% with everything Jamal said, and anyone who has put more than a few laps on a road course would likely agree, especially with the parts in bold.

Hopefully all the GT500 fans that were quick to flaunt the 'Ring video of the GT500 (ahem svtperformance) see where Jamal Hameedi is coming from too.
Jamal is a smart dude and it doesn't hurt that he's a hometown guy, too. 'ring comparisons are marketing fluff. Until someone takes both cars out there on stock tires and runs them back to back with the same driver(s) in the same conditions, using the same methodology, it doesn't mean jack.

Quote:
It is CLEAR that, were either Camaro able to have a Power-to-Weight ratio lower than 6.0 lb/hp (like the GT500), this Brand competition would have been over before it started.
And if if's and but's were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry xmas....
CobraBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:49 PM   #228
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by js59 View Post
I didn't read all 10 pages of this thread, but am I the only one surprised that the Z28 time was only 4 seconds quicker than the ZL1?

Before everyone piles on, I'm a big GM fan - and a fan of the Z28. I have a C6 Z06 Corvette and a Gen 2 CTS-V.

With carbon ceramic brakes, the weight reduction, special tires, high tech suspension, much higher MSRP (15k?), shaving 4 seconds off of a 450 second lap time is a little underwhelming. Let's be honest - this is probably as close to a purspose-built race car as we have seen in many, many years.

It seems like you could put a supercharger pulley on the ZL-1 and be back on top - for less money and more comfort.

Am I the only one that feels this way?

It was at least 10 seconds ahead of the ZL1 at multiple times before the rain started and that is the part where the ZL1 made up ground.

Don't forget the Z/28 is down 75 horsepower.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:09 PM   #229
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
I think you'z guys were trolled lol

How to Speed Up Videos
Old 12-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #230
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
My god. I never talk trash about a group of people but those folks are crazy. They are taking a video with so many questions as gospel and trashing official times as B.S. imagine if it was us with a BS video laughing a their real times. Regardless of the times nobody has any clue if the GT500 was stock or had different pads or tires or boost or god knows what else ford could have been testing. If other is stock and accurate obviously we give props but to take a video with so many unknown variables is completely asinine. I have never seen such a large amount of people so desperate that they throw all common sense out the window.

I would not be surprised if the GT500 was faster but that video proves nothing until the variables are clarified.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #231
1QwikZ28

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Regardless of the times nobody has any clue if the GT500 was stock or had different pads or tires or boost or god knows what else ford could have been testing. If other is stock and accurate obviously we give props but to take a video with so many unknown variables is completely asinine. I have never seen such a large amount of people so desperate that they throw all common sense out the window.

I would not be surprised if the GT500 was faster but that video proves nothing until the variables are clarified.
Same goes for Chevy's claim of 7:41 for the ZL1...
1QwikZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM   #232
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QwikZ28 View Post
Same goes for Chevy's claim of 7:41 for the ZL1...
If Ford would come out and say it was stock on stock tire, I'd believe it. Just as GM has.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:19 PM   #233
EnlighteningYou

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS
I really do hate how serious people take ring times, especially speaking so one sided. just an FYI there was never a stock production ZL1 run on the ring... as there was probably never a stock production run of any other car on the ring. There are no rules, some people live and die by ring times. it's stupid.
EnlighteningYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #234
Truck Norris
Thread Mover

Drives: a Monte Carlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnlighteningYou View Post
I really do hate how serious people take ring times, especially speaking so one sided. just an FYI there was never a stock production ZL1 run on the ring... as there was probably never a stock production run of any other car on the ring. There are no rules, some people live and die by ring times. it's stupid.
This is exactly why Ford/ SVT has never and will never release ring times.

Autoblog- Ford won't be releasing GT500 lap times for the 'Ring, or any other car
Old 12-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #235
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Norris View Post
This is exactly why Ford/ SVT has never and will never release ring times.
No, this is exactly why they fed them to SID...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:06 PM   #236
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
If Ford would come out and say it was stock on stock tire, I'd believe it. Just as GM has.
This is my point. I accept the word of gm the same as the word of ford. I dont see how anyone with commen sense can assume 100% without a doubt that the video has too many unknowns.I guess my point is I can step out and look with unbiased view of things and I do not understand why some people are so desparate to latch onto anything to make them feel better than everyone without a mustang.

I also understand track times vary for many reasons and I am one of few people on this forum that try to share the variables that go into 1/4 miles times, lap times, and dyno numbers...all my time wasted in vain.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote