Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #57
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
The guy who designed the 5th gen works for Audi now.
Great! We'll get to see someone els's rendition.

Doc I was mainly getting at the fact that most ppl who create something amazing just cant duplicate or get back to the same success. Michealangelo 's best work was the Sistine Chapel. Though he was a sculptor not a painter, its probably his most famous work. In music you have bands who produce 1 album that is considered the best. After that, no matter how hard they try its just not as good as the "one." Interesting, though great bands for some reason, their sophomore debut albums are usually the ones that are the most recognized? Not sure if you listen to David Gilmore of Pink Floyd? During his prime, he was phenominal. But he cant replicate it any longer.

It's possible the 6th gen could be the greatest creation for a camaro. We'll have to wait on it. It'll be very interesting to see what they come up with. Lighter and faster is one thing, but if it doesnt have the style? Its not worth much IMO.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #58
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Bummer. Great for them, not so great for Chevy. That guy really understood integrating sculpted lines not only for the outside shape but also within the shape as well. The hood area of the 5th gen was a masterpiece of sculpted beauty. You can sure see the difference in the 2014 refresh with a too-wide hood bulge and the after-market looking hood vent.

There's got to be some good design talent out there in the ranks of the Camaro/Vette owners. Maybe have a contest where owners and fans can submit their ideas. See what they come up with...might be some great ideas lurking out there.
...Sang Yup Lee isn't the holy grail of automotive designers or something. Yes he penned a good design with the 5th gen but it's not the greatest design ever. Not by a long shot.

There are plenty more talented employees in the design studios.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #59
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
...Sang Yup Lee isn't the holy grail of automotive designers or something. Yes he penned a good design with the 5th gen but it's not the greatest design ever. Not by a long shot.

There are plenty more talented employees in the design studios.
Maybe he's not but he did "get it" with the 5th gen Camaro and that's what we need with the 6th gen. Talent doesn't necessarily translate into being able to design a muscle car like a Camaro. You have to understand "muscle" and have an overall vision of what that looks like in a car.

I've seen sketches of many talented designers but they all tend to follow trends and look similiar; sharp angles, jagged slashy shapes, sharp pointed knife-blade style designs. That's great if you're doing Japanese anime but not so great for a Camaro. Camaros are all about sculpted curves, just like muscles; Sang Lee understood that and delivered a strikingly beautiful muscle car design. Whoever did the 2014 refresh didn't understand that and it shows. You can quickly pull up images of half a dozen back ends of other cars; toyotas, hondas, etc. that have that same plain look. Nothing looked like the muscular back of the original 5th gen.; it was instantly recognizable even from a distance.

The 2014 will still sell; the compromises of the original design aren't fatal, but they're not the same caliber of sculpted shape as the original.

Hopefully there's someone in Chevy's design team who "gets it" and GM recognizes them and allows them to create the 6th gen design.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #60
2010-1SS-IBM

Drives: 1998 Nissan, 2010 Camaro
I think Doc is right on with the concern over the looks of the next gen.

Me personally, I'm also worried about the power plant(s) for the next gen. The LS3 is a bullet-proof engine, and we also have versions with the LSA and LS7 (coming). They all have proven performance and longevity. The new stuff, not so much.
2010-1SS-IBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #61
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
I've seen sketches of many talented designers but they all tend to follow trends and look similiar; sharp angles, jagged slashy shapes, sharp pointed knife-blade style designs. That's great if you're doing Japanese anime but not so great for a Camaro. Camaros are all about sculpted curves, just like muscles; Sang Lee understood that and delivered a strikingly beautiful muscle car design. Whoever did the 2014 refresh didn't understand that and it shows. You can quickly pull up images of half a dozen back ends of other cars; toyotas, hondas, etc. that have that same plain look. Nothing looked like the muscular back of the original 5th gen.; it was instantly recognizable even from a distance.
This ↑↑↑ .

Just because such a hard-edged design can be described as "bold" or "edgy" does not make it graceful or beautiful. If anything, it risks perception that it's anything but beautiful, and that it "works" more in spite of itself than because. Jaguar's XK-E would have been a forgotten footnote in automotive history if Malcolm Sayer had been as abstract in his approach as Picasso was in some of his paintings.

No mfr is immune here; the 2010 Mustang refresh suffered somewhat from this too.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #62
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnighter View Post
That's a matter of perspective. I love the 1969 Camaro so for me, the 6th gen' will not look better cosidering that GM most likely will be stepping away from the retro body style.
I kind of second this, I think they hit a smash home run with the 5th Gen, I don't know what is next, but tough to follow.

A possible victim of their own success? I guess I hope not, what I am looking forward to is a 15% lighter performance model that makes the ZL1 obsolete. 3500 lbs and 600+ hp
Old 06-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #63
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
This ↑↑↑ .

Just because such a hard-edged design can be described as "bold" or "edgy" does not make it graceful or beautiful. If anything, it risks perception that it's anything but beautiful, and that it "works" more in spite of itself than because. Jaguar's XK-E would have been a forgotten footnote in automotive history if Malcolm Sayer had been as abstract in his approach as Picasso was in some of his paintings.

No mfr is immune here; the 2010 Mustang refresh suffered somewhat from this too.

Norm
The Jaguar XKE is one of the absolute, all-time gorgeous sculpted automotive body designs....
Name:  1965-Jaguar-E-Type_SI-115761344180244.JPG
Views: 1124
Size:  78.2 KB
Name:  1965-Jaguar-E-Type_SI-115721344180243.JPG
Views: 1086
Size:  55.1 KB
Name:  1965-Jaguar-E-Type_SI-115741344180243.JPG
Views: 1076
Size:  65.6 KB
Name:  1965-Jaguar-E-Type_SI-115711344180242.JPG
Views: 1103
Size:  72.8 KB

Enzo Ferrari considered it the most beautiful ever...

Name:  63 XKE-21318_Rear_3-4_Web.jpg
Views: 1282
Size:  85.6 KB

and it's influence is clearly seen in what I consider one of Ferrari's most beautiful designs; the 365 Daytona:
Name:  ferrari-365-daytona-7.jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  80.7 KB

GM take a look at this, the Ferrari 365 GTB Daytona; it's everything "right":

Name:  ferrari-365-daytona-15.jpg
Views: 1030
Size:  100.3 KB

Gorgeous sculpted design illuminated with a stunning stop-everything-and-stare color.

Give us a beautiful, sculpted 6th gen Camaro that stops you dead in your tracks, including the colors!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM   #64
Cheveey57

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Have you seen the fugly 14's? That's why!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #65
PoorMansCamaro

Drives: Really Slow
Because I'm ready to buy a 6th gen.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #66
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorMansCamaro View Post
Because I'm ready to buy a 6th gen.
I'm HIGHLY anticipating the 6th gen, if it turns out to be a turd I'm going to be very disappointed..
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #67
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaylorCamaro View Post
I'm HIGHLY anticipating the 6th gen, if it turns out to be a turd I'm going to be very disappointed..
I don't see that happening (at least in performance....styling has yet to be seen!)

Cadillac ATS is turning 5.5 0 - 60 times stock. CTS (which is a few hundred lbs heavier and larger is doing 6.1 with the less powerful turbo 4...which is basically equal to a 2010 Camaro automatic). 5.9 with V6.

I'm expecting low to mid 5 second 0 - 60 times for a V6 equipped Camaro. The V8 version will be a monster for sure. With less weight, and GM's increasing know how in making the Camaro handle great with the IRS suspension...it HAS to be a better driver's car than the 5th gen.

Yes, I know you're aware of all that, but I still like saying it.

Honestly, if it has looks to kill like the 5th gen....I'm a little worried that I'm going to want to blow a bunch of money again in a year or two on a different car. lol.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #68
Michael2000

Drives: .
Quote:
Mechanically the 6th gen is going to be a better car, but after seeing the "refresh" I'm more than a little worried about the looks. The back of the 2014 refresh looks boring and cheap; it doesn't look exotic, powerful, muscular or exciting in any way, shape or form.
What the h*ll happened with that 2014 back end? It seems like they started out doing 1st gen taillights, and then just gave up, and made them flat. They couldn't get any more boring. I recommend getting the RS if you get a 2014. At least then, they look more interesting at night with the LEDs.

Michael
Michael2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #69
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
I don't see that happening (at least in performance....styling has yet to be seen!)
Yeah I was more referring to the looks of the 6th gen. I know performance wise it will only be better and better. BUT who knows what the 6th gen will look like.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:02 PM   #70
danl

Drives: 2013 JSB Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINALLYSATISFIED View Post
Depends on the area.

totally agree!
I drive to LA today from Redlands, ( 70 miles one way, 140 round trip )
and saw a total of:

3- 5th gen Camaros,
100- mus-tangs, ( hahaha...UGLY )
0 - challengers, and
1 - vette
danl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation