Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #169
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,335
I still maintain the base Camaro...or whichever one has the Turbo 4 will weigh in at the 3,3xx range or a tad less.

As for the Z/28, whats really mind blowing is that I guarantee, with all the same extreme weight and performance measures taken on the Alpha chasis, the car would only weigh around the same weight of the base Camaro....so in the 3,300 to 3,400lb range.

Imagine the LS7 in THAT Camaro. Suddenly you have a Camaro performing near the same heights as the mighty Z06.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #170
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,133
I still think this is the swan song for the LS7. Glad that it is in the 5th Gen Z/28, but new CAFE standards are taking affect about the time the 6th Gen comes out. If I were an exec at GM I would not want to use my banked credits to support this platform into 2016 and beyond. I think we will probably see something just as awesome in the future. The Z06 has been around for a while, and they will probably (at least I hope) build a special powerplant for that badge in the C7. Eventually we may see a similar engine in a 6th Gen Z/28. I'm sure it will be just as awesome as the LS7. After all, GM seems to be out to make us performance enthusist happy. The LT1 sounds sweet and the Caddy's are getting a new VSport line with the LF3. I'm loving everything that's going on.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #171
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I still think this is the swan song for the LS7. Glad that it is in the 5th Gen Z/28, but new CAFE standards are taking affect about the time the 6th Gen comes out. If I were an exec at GM I would not want to use my banked credits to support this platform into 2016 and beyond. I think we will probably see something just as awesome in the future. The Z06 has been around for a while, and they will probably (at least I hope) build a special powerplant for that badge in the C7. Eventually we may see a similar engine in a 6th Gen Z/28. I'm sure it will be just as awesome as the LS7. After all, GM seems to be out to make us performance enthusist happy. The LT1 sounds sweet and the Caddy's are getting a new VSport line with the LF3. I'm loving everything that's going on.
....Then again, if the I-4, TT-V6 and the AFM LT-1 will be out in the 6thGen...that may give some extra life to the LS7 as far as CAFE...dunno how all that works....Seems like only two years worth of the LS7 in a Z/28 would be sort of awkward...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #172
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
....Then again, if the I-4, TT-V6 and the AFM LT-1 will be out in the 6thGen...that may give some extra life to the LS7 as far as CAFE...dunno how all that works....Seems like only two years worth of the LS7 in a Z/28 would be sort of awkward...
It just might. I can't help but think that maintaining a line of engines that are hand built in a special plant will look pretty bad to the bean counters. It will all depend on who wins the arguement at GM.
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:32 PM   #173
fielderLS3


 
fielderLS3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2016 Mazda6, 2011 Mustang 5.0
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Portage, Wisconsin
Posts: 3,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
It just might. I can't help but think that maintaining a line of engines that are hand built in a special plant will look pretty bad to the bean counters. It will all depend on who wins the arguement at GM.
I think the LS7 is going into the Camaro partly because GM needs somewhere to put their production capacity of it for the last year or two now that C6 Corvette production, and with it the ZO6, has ended. Ultimately, the LS7 is going to go the way of the LS3. The new LT engine family will quickly replace all the LSs, so the LS7 will not be in the 6th gen Camaro. Give the next Vette a year or two, and there will probably be a higher performance version of the LTs coming for the next ZO6, or at least the ZO6 replacement if they change it to something else. Whether or not that engine will end up in the 6th gen Camaro as a low volume, special version is anyone's guess.
__________________
"Proven V-8 power with better efficiency than a turbo V-6"

"The car is the closest thing we will ever create to something that is alive."eds.
fielderLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:37 PM   #174
TRGunner
 
TRGunner's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
This frightens me to the point the hairs stood up on my neck. I see a lot of blather about needing to comply with CAFE and the other car companies are also feeling pressure to do the same.

Remember when the car company CEOs would go to washington and FIGHT against these onerous regulations?

Those were the days.

We STILL need to fight for our sanity against ridiculous regulations. America's businesses need to stay globally competetive.
We all need to get along and respect everyones opinions.
I still encourage us all to speak up America to our representatives for all matters including this one.
TRGunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #175
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
I still think this is the swan song for the LS7. ...
Oh I completely agree with that. Couple years in the Camaro and that will be it.

I was just thinking what it would be like to have it in a 3,300 lbl Camaro on the Alpha chassis.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #176
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Oh I completely agree with that. Couple years in the Camaro and that will be it.

I was just thinking what it would be like to have it in a 3,300 lbl Camaro on the Alpha chassis.
FUN!
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #177
carlos@redline-motorsport
 
Drives: 98 Z28
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL
Posts: 79
Stuffing a live axle in the back would cut weight and improve 1/4 mile performance.
carlos@redline-motorsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #178
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended
 
Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 3,046
I could use a 15% weight reduction lol
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #179
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
I could use a 15% weight reduction lol
Just have your CEO mandate it by your 2016 model year...If the pressure's on, you can do it!...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:50 PM   #180
SlingShot


 
SlingShot's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Seminole, Fl.
Posts: 7,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Oh I completely agree with that. Couple years in the Camaro and that will be it.

I was just thinking what it would be like to have it in a 3,300 lbl Camaro on the Alpha chassis.
It would be something like this ...

__________________
SlingShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #181
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,944
....Perhaps the 6th Gen Camaro may actually turn out to be a lighter weight car than the new Mustangs....
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #182
MikeT
 
Drives: 2008 Malibu V6
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: California
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
....Perhaps the 6th Gen Camaro may actually turn out to be a lighter weight car than the new Mustangs....
I'd say that's a pretty safe bet. The fact that Ford has completely shut up about weight loss in the Mustang has led some to speculate that the new car has probably GAINED weight. An Alpha Camaro should have no trouble undercutting the new Mustang in terms of weight.
MikeT is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.