Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #43
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 5,235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Question....

The 1LE suspension is rather stiff (not harsh...just stiff)...what if the new Mustang offered a cushy ride on the regular GT model and that won a lot of people over who were only looking for a V8...or looks?
Good question. I'm not sure how to work that out.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #44
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Yeah, these mechanical High-Pressure Fuel Pumps are a PITA. Too big and they flow too much fuel at idle and low RPMs. Too small and they don't flow enough at the high RPMs. It would be nice if they had two, one that had a valve that didn't open to the fuel rails until the RPMs were above 4000, otherwise it just recirculates the fuel. I think that would solve the problem for high HP demands.
Have you guys thought of using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator? We've been using them for years in FI imports.

You mentioned wanting to be able to inject more fuel into the system aka the same way nitrous is done. We used to use sub-injectors that were RPM-reliant in FI cars in the 90s. These were nothing more than one or two fuel injectors that were tapped into the intake track and would only come on once a certain set RPM was hit. We got away from that when rising rate fuel regulators became more reliable in the early 2000s in conjunction with high-flow fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:26 PM   #45
GretchenGotGrowl


 
GretchenGotGrowl's Avatar
 
Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Little Rock, AR
Posts: 7,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
Have you guys thought of using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator? We've been using them for years in FI imports.

You mentioned wanting to be able to inject more fuel into the system aka the same way nitrous is done. We used to use sub-injectors that were RPM-reliant in FI cars in the 90s. These were nothing more than one or two fuel injectors that were tapped into the intake track and would only come on once a certain set RPM was hit. We got away from that when rising rate fuel regulators became more reliable in the early 2000s in conjunction with high-flow fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
Very similar to what we are doing. When all else fails, go old school.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
__________________
New Ride -- 2015 Z06 2LZ (stock) -- Journal
Old Ride -- 2012 Camaro 2LT/RS (647 RWHP & 726 RWTQ) -- Build Thread
GretchenGotGrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:30 PM   #46
Sikoriko

 
Sikoriko's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
Have you guys thought of using a rising rate fuel pressure regulator? We've been using them for years in FI imports.

You mentioned wanting to be able to inject more fuel into the system aka the same way nitrous is done. We used to use sub-injectors that were RPM-reliant in FI cars in the 90s. These were nothing more than one or two fuel injectors that were tapped into the intake track and would only come on once a certain set RPM was hit. We got away from that when rising rate fuel regulators became more reliable in the early 2000s in conjunction with high-flow fuel pumps.

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck.
Wouldn't you have to direct the fuel flow almost into the back side of the intake valve? The closer the better?
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:49 PM   #47
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sikoriko View Post
Wouldn't you have to direct the fuel flow almost into the back side of the intake valve? The closer the better?
Not necessarily so. We were plumbing in before the throttle body. Here's a PDF of the GReddy Rebic IV we were using back in the day on my RX-7.

http://www.greddy.com/upload/file/Rebic_IV.pdf

The PDF tells you how it works and shows components that would be in a sub-injector kit.

The way things are now, the need for a sub-injector system have pretty much gone away with better injector, fuel pump and fuel management technology, BUT there's still a niche for this sort of system. Apparently, some people are still using them.

A rising rate fuel pressure regulator is the way to go if one is experiencing lean-out in the higher RPM band. Tuning it on a dyno is essential.
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #48
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
Very similar to what we are doing. When all else fails, go old school.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
That holds true for so many things, even now.
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM   #49
1973Camaro
 
Drives: 1973 camaro
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Harrodsburg Kentucky
Posts: 12
In regards to AFM, we have an 08 Impala w/3.9 v6 AFM. You set the DIC for instant fuel mileage & watch it change back & forth between 3 & 6 cyl mode. It changes back to 6 with the slightest of throttle pressure increase whether accelerating or a slight increase in grade. I don't see how you could experience a lack of performance at any time, just hit the throttle. Also the switch back & forth is almost imperceptable. The only way I can feel it is if I lean my head against the window glass. I would think a v8/v4 would be even smoother.
1973Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:02 AM   #50
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Camaro View Post
In regards to AFM, we have an 08 Impala w/3.9 v6 AFM. You set the DIC for instant fuel mileage & watch it change back & forth between 3 & 6 cyl mode. It changes back to 6 with the slightest of throttle pressure increase whether accelerating or a slight increase in grade. I don't see how you could experience a lack of performance at any time, just hit the throttle. Also the switch back & forth is almost imperceptable. The only way I can feel it is if I lean my head against the window glass. I would think a v8/v4 would be even smoother.
...Good stuff....Yeah, I've never driven a car with AFM....(Doesn't seem to be very popular on these forums with the Camaros)....perhaps its not really a "performance" killer in the big scheme of things...

...But...my gosh...when I shopped for my '11, the L99s with AFM were rated at "1" mpg hwy mileage greater than the manual trans cars..."ONE!"...I could see AFM being the greatest thing since a pocket in a shirt if the mileage gains were vastly greater than those without AFM...

Just seems like a ton of technology and what-not for very little gain in mpg...on top of what is perceived as driving a "performance" car on four cylinders...dunno...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:07 PM   #51
Mikes SS

 
Mikes SS's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,030
I was thinking, and this may sound dumb but the AFM on the L99 is controlled by oil pressure and load ratings into the ECM and blah blah blah but what if you could use a "line lock" system to keep it in 4cyl mode on the highway? I would think these cars could get 30-35mpg highway in 4cyl mode and that could help the CAFE and possibly keep from paying the dreadful gas guzzler tax..I mean really in 4cyl mode, it is a 3.1L 215hp motor I would assume that should be enough to keep the car going 75mph on the highway?
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #52
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by baby02 View Post
AFM on the 2014 stringray with have the option of turning on or off by the owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I was thinking, and this may sound dumb but the AFM on the L99 is controlled by oil pressure and load ratings into the ECM and blah blah blah but what if you could use a "line lock" system to keep it in 4cyl mode on the highway? I would think these cars could get 30-35mpg highway in 4cyl mode and that could help the CAFE and possibly keep from paying the dreadful gas guzzler tax..I mean really in 4cyl mode, it is a 3.1L 215hp motor I would assume that should be enough to keep the car going 75mph on the highway?
Might be getting close to what you mention, if it's true about the 2014 Stingray having that option...No idea how it's actually done, or what mileage gains there would be, but sounds like a good idea...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:45 PM   #53
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
I was thinking, and this may sound dumb but the AFM on the L99 is controlled by oil pressure and load ratings into the ECM and blah blah blah but what if you could use a "line lock" system to keep it in 4cyl mode on the highway? I would think these cars could get 30-35mpg highway in 4cyl mode and that could help the CAFE and possibly keep from paying the dreadful gas guzzler tax..I mean really in 4cyl mode, it is a 3.1L 215hp motor I would assume that should be enough to keep the car going 75mph on the highway?
May as well just join the group that hopes for an I-4 turbo Camaro. Not knocking it because I also drive a I-4 turbo car- the EVO VIII, and that thing is a rocket on rails, and I do firmly believe that an I-4 turbo-powered Camaro will be actually more fun that most think. Everybody keeps thinking of an engine from the 3rd Gen Camaro called the Iron Duke (2.4 liter?) and that's what this newer gen I-4 turbo Camaro would end up being like.

Anyway, what good is a V8 if it is locked in 4cyl mode most of its life?
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #54
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 11,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
Anyway, what good is a V8 if it is locked in 4cyl mode most of its life?
Not much would be good, other than having the option of being in either one...

...Like it or not, it seems AFM is here to stay...and if it is, and can be capable of significantly better mileage, it might help keep around the availablility of V-8's that don't have AFM...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #55
Wizard1183

 
Wizard1183's Avatar
 
Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lafayette,LA
Posts: 1,493
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_ View Post
May as well just join the group that hopes for an I-4 turbo Camaro. Not knocking it because I also drive a I-4 turbo car- the EVO VIII, and that thing is a rocket on rails, and I do firmly believe that an I-4 turbo-powered Camaro will be actually more fun that most think. Everybody keeps thinking of an engine from the 3rd Gen Camaro called the Iron Duke (2.4 liter?) and that's what this newer gen I-4 turbo Camaro would end up being like.

Anyway, what good is a V8 if it is locked in 4cyl mode most of its life?
Yu mean its bad to have your cake and eat it too? I'd love to be able to get 35mpg on my 2010 by it using 4 cyl and when I want to play with the power, I have it. I mean why burn fuel on a trip when you dont have to?
__________________


Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #56
steveo9043

 
steveo9043's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 45th AE 2SS Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 1,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...Good stuff....Yeah, I've never driven a car with AFM....(Doesn't seem to be very popular on these forums with the Camaros)....perhaps its not really a "performance" killer in the big scheme of things...

...But...my gosh...when I shopped for my '11, the L99s with AFM were rated at "1" mpg hwy mileage greater than the manual trans cars..."ONE!"...I could see AFM being the greatest thing since a pocket in a shirt if the mileage gains were vastly greater than those without AFM...

Just seems like a ton of technology and what-not for very little gain in mpg...on top of what is perceived as driving a "performance" car on four cylinders...dunno...
I know back in the day, manual trans cars would get better mileage with the same motor. So maybe an Automatic LS3 would get 2-3 mpg less then a manual LS3 so the increase of 1 mpg over the ls3 manual may be 3-4mpg ls3 auto vs l99 auto... Make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Might be getting close to what you mention, if it's true about the 2014 Stingray having that option...No idea how it's actually done, or what mileage gains there would be, but sounds like a good idea...
Now I understood the LT1 dod/afm on/off was turning on/off the ability for it to go into 4 cylinder mode.

example:
dod off (always V8)
dod on (just like L99 cars, the ability to go into 4 cylinder mode)
steveo9043 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.