Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
RubyCamaro
SSlayer
 
RubyCamaro's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Springfield, TN
Posts: 12,645
Too soon for a 6th gen????

Am I the only one who thinks it would be a mistake for Chevy to come out with a 6th gen any time soon with the 5th Gen still so hot? I know it is exciting to think & talk about and of course they are thinking ahead and planning for the next generation no matter what the plans are for it's release. But it seems like everyone is thinking it is a done deal that the 5th gen is going to end and 6th gen production begin soon. Really? Yeah, I know they are going to do whatever they are going to do no matter what we all think but still............. I thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was a pretty sound business principal. It seems like a pretty big risk to me to bring out a huge body style change, no matter how hot it may end up being, when the current one is so popular, loved, iconic, and selling well???????????? Just sayin'
__________________
RubyCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 4,319
I wouldn't worry about it showing up too soon. 2 things. GM has not announced when the sixth gen is coming. The only official word from them has been a 2015 or 2016 model year. Also, how long past GMs estimate did it take for the fifth gen to come out? I would lean more towards a 2016 model year release. If GM doesn't yet know when it will be ready, we shouldn't start worrying. Plus the sixth gen will be awesome.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,770
Let's be honest. It's all contingent on the Mustang release timeframe.
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
family man

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: .
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Let's be honest. It's all contingent on the Mustang release timeframe.
That's what I was going to post.

I think GM is waiting to see what the reaction is to the new Mustang and see how it sells. If the new Mustang sells well and starts cutting into the Camaro sales, GM will get the 6th gen out sooner than later.
family man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #5
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 991
I know I will be in the extreme minority here, but as good as the 5th gen is, IMO the design is starting to look old to me. Yeah the car has only been in production since 09 as 2010 Model. But the concept came out in 06 so I have seen this design for 7 years already. I cant wait to see what the 6th gen looks like. With the new mustang going away from retro I am very curious to see what GM does.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user
 
snizzle's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 2SS MT 45th AE
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 1,770
I'm hoping for evolutionary. Smaller, lighter, sleeker, more agile but still aggressive.
__________________

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #7
fastfreddie

 
fastfreddie's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' 2SS/RS (His), 10' 1LT (Hers)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Normal, Illinois
Posts: 761
I agree, Ruby. Look how long Ford kept this generation of the Mustang....very long. I don't think the 5th Gen Camaro has come close to running it's course especially with all the additional versions that have been released. Like you, I hope the 5th Gen stays around for longer than the reported rumors.

One thing I know they have to be addressing is the cafe' standards coming up. They really need a smaller, lighter Camaro to meet the standards, IMO. This might play more into the 6th Gen release than we would like.

I'm wondering to if they aren't waiting to see how the new Mustang is accepted. Reports are that it will be completely different and not really have a retro styling. If the community doesn't like it or accept the change, that will give GM some insight on what direction to go with the 6th Gen Camaro.

This is just my theory and worth what you paid for it. It will definately be interesting to watch the next couple of years in car designs all because of the cafe standards. Either way, I'm still going to enjoy my 5th Gen.
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:23 AM   #8
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,138
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
GM is actually delivering what we've wanted for years with the 6thgen. They are going to make it lighter and smaller on Alpha, which is going to be a shared, less expensive platform. Zeta is a great platform, but Alpha will allow GM to save on production costs because the ATS is also on that platform. Alpha has been designed from the ground up for RWD and various engine packages, giving GM limitless flexibility for power.

Of course, the real concern is appearance, since the 5thgen is downright sexy. I have a lot of faith in the GM design team and expect them to evolve this car more than they change it. I would expect the Camaro to be very familiar with the 6thgen with appropriate upgrades and design changes.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
WheelmanSS
Logic is dead
 
WheelmanSS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,790
Send a message via AIM to WheelmanSS
The only place I see a 6th gen being pushed for is here on this site. There is pretty much no news from GM on specifics at this point. I don't know why this is becoming such a big deal. People run out of 5th gen stuff to talk about?
__________________
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
573 RWHP 498 RWTQ
- Vortech V3 Supercharger
- Kooks Stepped Headers, Magnaflow 16580
- Suspension by Pfadt, Hotchkis.

2007 Trailblazer SS- Sold
2001 Trans Am WS6 431 RWHP 408 RWTQ - Sold
1994 Camaro Z28 - Sold
WheelmanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #10
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
Am I the only one who thinks it would be a mistake for Chevy to come out with a 6th gen any time soon with the 5th Gen still so hot? I know it is exciting to think & talk about and of course they are thinking ahead and planning for the next generation no matter what the plans are for it's release. But it seems like everyone is thinking it is a done deal that the 5th gen is going to end and 6th gen production begin soon. Really? Yeah, I know they are going to do whatever they are going to do no matter what we all think but still............. I thought "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" was a pretty sound business principal. It seems like a pretty big risk to me to bring out a huge body style change, no matter how hot it may end up being, when the current one is so popular, loved, iconic, and selling well???????????? Just sayin'
I don't think it's a mistake to come out with a 6th Gen whenever they do it...sooner or later...It's fun to anticipate, guess, speculate, etc., but in the end whatever I think about it is totally insignificant...lol...

Market conditions, manufacturing, regulations, and all the rest are issues that are out of my realm of expertise...lol...For lack of a better term, I really don't care what happens...just gonna enjoy my fifth gen and call it a day....If I get all worked up and concerned about the 6th gen, it inevitably boils down to the fact that we're all mushrooms...(kept in the dark, and fed bs)...lol....no worries...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
I agree, Ruby. Look how long Ford kept this generation of the Mustang....very long. I don't think the 5th Gen Camaro has come close to running it's course especially with all the additional versions that have been released. Like you, I hope the 5th Gen stays around for longer than the reported rumors.

.
I agree this gen Mustang has been around for quite a while, but there have been 3 refreshes of the design and some major changes to the car over that time.

05-09 was the old v-6 and 4.6 3V.

2010 Brought out the face lift where all the sheet metal is new,
2011-2012 brought the new 5.0 and v-6 engines
2013 brought yet another face lift and redesign of the rearend.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
Ambitious09
 
Drives: 07 Cobalt LT/2008 Ram SXT
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Memphis
Posts: 92
It's still a sexy car and it's still selling. Don't see why they would jump the gun on a completely new model when we don't even know what the next Mustang looks like or how people accept it.
Ambitious09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #13
MMC

 
MMC's Avatar
 
Drives: CGM 2SS/RS, 1987 & 2014 Silverado
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spencerport, NY
Posts: 861
Time marches on, you can't rest on your laurels or the compettition will pass you by.
__________________
MMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #14
meissen
Founder - Michigan FBody
 
meissen's Avatar
 
Drives: 1994 Camaro LT1, 2014 Camaro 1LT
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Chesterfield Twp, MI
Posts: 2,502
The sales trend from the monthly sales figures threads shows the Camaro has been on a downward slope (GRADUAL... but still downward) for a little while now. Like others said, the design is old... it's been out since 2006. Plus we've all been wanting a lighter Camaro, the Alpha platform will deliver that.

For those that think the 6th gen is only being pushed on here, there's ************* which is a rip off site all about the 6th gen. Calling it a rip off site because they originally came out as "Camaro6" on facebook and then, presumably, either Camaro5 got on them about it or they realized Camaro6.com was already unavailable so they added the "g" in. Then when their forum came up they went around to other sites grabbing threads off there... Just like they have a 2016 6th Gen Wish List similar to what's posted here.

That said - honestly I think the community on here is quite sheltered to what the rest of the public wants. On here, the 5th gen is the best thing since sliced bread. Out in the public it's not always the same feelings. I love the 5th gen because it's the first car I've ever been able to follow from leaked clay models to production but let's face it - there's a lot of things to not like about the 5th gen ... from the high belt line, the weight, blind spots, no t-tops, tiny porthole windows, etc. Again, I love my 5th gen even though I'm thinking about selling it, but I'm really excited to see what the 6th gen will have to offer.

Lastly -- Don't get down about the 5th gen being old, the Camaro team still has a few tricks up their sleeves.



Edit: LMAO Really???? "*************" is censored? Trying to control your membership, much? Ironic I post about the community here being sheltered and then post only to find out "other" Camaro websites are censored from even being posted...
__________________
2014 Camaro 1LT M6 - "Cherry Bomb" - Cold Air Inductions CAI, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, MGW Short Throw Shifter
1994 Camaro LT1 A4 - "Red Alert" - v6-to-LT1 Swapped Cruiser; Cammed, Stalled, Enjoyed

meissen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #15
shaffe

 
Drives: 2012 Focus
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Burr Ridge
Posts: 991
Quote:
Originally Posted by meissen View Post
The sales trend from the monthly sales figures threads shows the Camaro has been on a downward slope (GRADUAL... but still downward) for a little while now. Like others said, the design is old... it's been out since 2006. Plus we've all been wanting a lighter Camaro, the Alpha platform will deliver that.

For those that think the 6th gen is only being pushed on here, there's ************* which is a rip off site all about the 6th gen. Calling it a rip off site because they originally came out as "Camaro6" on facebook and then, presumably, either Camaro5 got on them about it or they realized Camaro6.com was already unavailable so they added the "g" in. Then when their forum came up they went around to other sites grabbing threads off there... Just like they have a 2016 6th Gen Wish List similar to what's posted here.

That said - honestly I think the community on here is quite sheltered to what the rest of the public wants. On here, the 5th gen is the best thing since sliced bread. Out in the public it's not always the same feelings. I love the 5th gen because it's the first car I've ever been able to follow from leaked clay models to production but let's face it - there's a lot of things to not like about the 5th gen ... from the high belt line, the weight, blind spots, no t-tops, tiny porthole windows, etc. Again, I love my 5th gen even though I'm thinking about selling it, but I'm really excited to see what the 6th gen will have to offer.

Lastly -- Don't get down about the 5th gen being old, the Camaro team still has a few tricks up their sleeves.



Edit: LMAO Really???? "*************" is censored? Trying to control your membership, much? Ironic I post about the community here being sheltered and then post only to find out "other" Camaro websites are censored from even being posted...
This guy^ Knows what up.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
The only place I see a 6th gen being pushed for is here on this site. There is pretty much no news from GM on specifics at this point. I don't know why this is becoming such a big deal. People run out of 5th gen stuff to talk about?


You all are killing my stoke. I just got the damn thing and you guys are already wishing for the next thing. Hopefully it dies a slow painful death. Just tired of all the hype with no filler. I'm now getting into the LS3 and you guys are already talking about LT1 and LF3s. The last LT1 I saw was in the early 90s and then the LS family came along. You make me feel like I've got some LT1 from the 90s. This site is BS.
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:29 PM   #17
ToolFan66

 
ToolFan66's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2SS 6.2L W/RS package
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,093
Ha I will worry about the 6th gen when it gets here. Hell I didn't even know about the 5th gen till I think Aug-Oct of 2010. I was driving down the highway and a dealership to one side had this green glowing thing that looked beautiful in the sun and one day I just had to go by a dealership and see what it was about.. LOL!!!

I was shocked when I saw it was a new Camaro and it was into it's second year, well the rest is history and it's not leaving me anytime soon.

The only thing I hope for is that aftermarket prices drop a little after the 6th hits the streets!!
__________________

Last edited by ToolFan66; 02-11-2013 at 04:19 PM.
ToolFan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:41 PM   #18
Ken_
Tally Ho!
 
Ken_'s Avatar
 
Drives: 13 2SS/RS 6M, 05 Mitsubishi Evo 8
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: KU
Posts: 239
I hope the 6th gen is a 4-cylinder NA with FWD. Self-fulfilling prophecy for all of those who worry about what they don't want to happen happening. What next? We all dump our LS3s for the next big thing? Just goes to show that the bowl of desire is never filled.
__________________
2013 2SS/RS-package Black w/IOM interior 6M
Bone Stock
Ken_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
tortop45
 
Drives: 2ss
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: uk
Posts: 17
I hope they stop making the 5 gen camaro tomorow thats what will make a future classic,its all down to the wan,t factor.the 5 gen is a winner,i can,t see GMs next camaro being as good,ford should do what GM did take a 7 year break with the mustang to cum up with some fresh idears but they won,t.Would love a 4 wheel drive camaro thou,well we can all dream.......
tortop45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #20
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,663
GM has known for a long time what model year it will be released and has already considered the Mustang release. But the gen 6 release date has more to do with getting internal resourses available, priority #1 is the Vette. There is also the ATS and other cars that iwll chare the same engines and chasis. One thing on our side for a quick changeover from gen 5 ot gen 6 is Camaro is moving to a new plant so stopping production to changeover is not required.

If you want GM to keep the Camaro unchaged look to the Gen 4 Camaro and the DEATH of the Camaro. If GM doesn't keep it fresh it will die...again.
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #21
toehead93


 
Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: wpb fl
Posts: 2,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
I'm hoping for evolutionary. Smaller, lighter, sleeker, more agile but still aggressive.
No reason to hope...it will be all of that on the Alpha chasis!
__________________
Used Racing Brake 2 Peice Rotors for sale:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=344754

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #22
5th_GEN_SS
Junkie
 
5th_GEN_SS's Avatar
 
Drives: SIM 2SS/RS M6
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 1,613
No way! I have had my SS almost four years. I am ready for something new!!!
Not planning g on getting rid of mine but adding a 6th gen. It needs to come out asap I am itching for something after this C7 release.
__________________
"Letty" Murdered out 2013 Camaro 1LE. (Old car SIM 2010 2SS/RS)
5th_GEN_SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
Renegade
Banned
 
Drives: Camaro SS Edition
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 14,059
Send a message via AIM to Renegade Send a message via MSN to Renegade Send a message via Yahoo to Renegade Send a message via Skype™ to Renegade
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_GEN_SS View Post
No way! I have had my SS almost four years. I am ready for something new!!!
Not planning g on getting rid of mine but adding a 6th gen. It needs to come out asap I am itching for something after this C7 release.
Sounds like your ready to extend the family.
Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:50 AM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado
 
FenwickHockey65's Avatar
 
Drives: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE/2007 Ford F-150
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 31,447
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Not at all. Completely revamped Mustang is right around the corner. GM needs to be ready to counter that.

As for design, it's completely up in the air right now. Early rumors talked about a brand-new design, now people are saying it might be slightly evolutionary.
__________________
FenwickHockey65's GM Thread!

My Cars: 2003 GMC Envoy SLE, 2007 Ford F-150 XL (State-issued)
Extended Family: 2013 GMC Terrain SLE, 1998 GMC Sonoma SLS Extended Cab

FenwickHockey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.