Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro forum, news, rumors, discussions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #1
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,178
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Lightbulb 6thgen an Opportunity for GMPP: A Vision for GM Performance Parts

Consider this an open letter to our friends at GM.

I've been discussing with some fellow enthusiasts a vision of GM Performance Parts that I think has been lost in the shuffle. General Motors is a large conglomerate containing so many brands and labels that it seems near unmanageable. It is truly remarkable that we have such quality and diverse choices coming from such a large manufacturer. Some would say we are blessed.

With the 5thgen winding down and a secret 6thgen coming to the market in the not-too-distant future, GM needs to think about branding itself as fun, exciting, and performance-oriented. These are all crucial to advertising vehicles that take Average Joe from point A to point B, and it makes sense that GMPP should roll out products that reflect these qualities in GM vehicles.

Before I state what I want from GMPP, let's talk about GM's marketing and what GM is manufacturing right now. GM is at war for the hearts, minds, and wallets of unaffiliated drivers. Some people will pretty much always drive a Chevy. Others will pretty much always drive a Dodge. It's good to get those guys, but let's look at where we've lost a lot of market share over the years, and our products belong in their garages. I say "we" and "our" because I feel a connection to GM's brands based on the quality of engineering behind them. I could write an unbiased, journalistic review of a Camaro versus a Challenger or Mustang any day, and my moderator status here reflects my opinion of the Camaro's superiority. That opinion wasn't a product of my dad driving a Silverado or my mom driving a Malibu. My dad's driving a Forester, and my mom drives a Caliber, and neither of them is a symbol of automotive brand loyalty. They both are typical car buyers, but they haven't been sold on GM yet. They don't understand the engineering, and it's going to take a lot of work to explain how GM products are fundamentally better built than everything else out there. How can we prove it?

Let's start with the soul of GM. When I talk about soul, I mean the spirited personality of what makes GM. Toyota has no soul. There is nothing special about Toyota, and yet we fight them viciously for sales. We do this because they have streamlined their manufacturing to only attack markets with massive sales. They backed out of sport markets because they have lost their soul—their desire to compete. Even with their addition to NASCAR, they produced a vehicle for the purpose of racing that isn't fair to what they actually produce as a brand. GM has a soul, and that soul is in its performance vehicles. I'm talking about Z71 trucks, Corvettes, V-badged Cadillacs, turbo EcoTecs, and of course the Camaro. That's why you're reading this thread.

The 6th generation Camaro is a continuation of the greatest American pony car. It is a GT car that smokes competition in and out of its price range. The Camaro is a terrifying threat to high-end niche manufacturers due to its incredible design and quality of manufacture, and let's not forget the power. It is fast. There is so much to love about the soul of GM, but the marketing isn't marketing the soul the right way. Perhaps the answer is a grassroots campaign guided not by marketing professionals but parts counter guys.

The GM parts guy at our local Chevrolet dealer is a good friend to car enthusiasts. This is the guy with a '69 Chevelle in his garage, restored to perfect working order after countless hours of labor and too many paychecks spent at work doing fun, not work. I know this guy. The specific guy I described works where I got my first Camaro, and he's an impressively knowledgeable guy. I respect his experience, and I definitely respect his car. Unfortunately for the both of us, using GM parts for his '69 Chevelle is not an option due to significantly better aftermarket options.

There's a reason for that. GMPP offers crappy accessories. There—I said it. Don't tell me I'm wrong. You've got studies and market research proving that most customers want to accessorize their car, but you're offering them floor mats. That's thinking like you're in the '70s, and we're way past that. We need to be competitive with serious brands, and more importantly our competition. There are two mainstream car companies that are definitely doing it the right way, and GM needs to get on this bandwagon to keep up.

First, I'd like to talk about Scion. I've already said Toyota had no soul, but their weird tuner brand has a uniqueness that is unprecedented. They offer no trim levels, and a significant number of options are in the form of accessories. It's a weird approach to selling cars, but it requires them to offer innovative solutions and extremely custom vehicles that their clients love. It is very important to build the emotional bond between the buyer and the product. That's the key to Apple's success as a company, and you even teach your salespeople to include this in the sales process. Emotion is irrational, and yet it drives us to make live-changing decisions. Make it so that your prospective buyers become customers based on the same variety of options.

Second, let's talk about Ford Racing. This is the real target. The Mustang is directly competing with the Camaro, as you know. Mustang buyers have options at the dealership that Chevy buyers do not have. Don't get me wrong. You're on the right track by offering the 1LE track pack. Keep up that trend. Currently, we've got some work to do to get competitive, and that track pack is a good start. I want you to look at all the options GMPP offers and honestly tell me that they're the same as Ford Racing. Salespeople should be able to sell at every dealer, not just SLP dealers, quality, GM-approved parts that improve the performance of the vehicle and allow customers, and Camaro5 forum members, to stop asking if the headers, exhaust, intake, and other simple modifications will void their powertrain warranty.

There's that emotion thing again. By selling a car with soul, you create joy and excitement. Unfortunately, you're also creating fear. Fear is a bad thing. Don't sell fear. Do everything you can to stop GM from selling fear. How does this happen? You sell a muscle car—a car with a reputation for demolishing opponents at the track—but you make buyers worry about whether they'll get in trouble for modifying it to do what you made it to do, race. Give us the parts we need to race safely, and charge us for them! It's a brilliant proposition: make money off of customers by selling them parts that give them unique identity and a sense of safety when doing what you told them to do. You didn't really expect SS, 1LE, and ZL1 owners to buff and polish their cars every weekend, did you? Don't be naive. Give them some track toys. Give us stage kits. Do you remember the Cobalt SS Supercharged? That car was done right. You offered sanctioned upgrade kits labeled by stage, and then you said the supercharged model wasn't good enough, so you gave them a track-dominating, LNF-powered SS Turbocharged. That thing is a monster for a compact, and no one could compete in that price range. That was a great product, too, but focus on the aftermarket goodies. The Supercharged model had all the upgrades.

Now that I've told you how great GM has been in recent years, I hope you feel a little better about the criticism. I'm going to give you some serious suggestions, and I hope GM finds some way to incorporate these into the future of GM Performance Parts. This is important. This is a lot of money waiting to go into GM after the sale. As I've already said, you have the market research to prove that this will work. People want to accessorize their cars, but you're not giving them what they want. Stop offering chrome exhaust tips on Malibus. Offer these options instead:
  • Tuning—this is perhaps more important than anything else. Let people get a GM-sanctioned tune for headers and other parts. Give them a warranty-approved tune so they stop trying to hack your computers or hide their tune from you.
  • Graphics—think Ford Racing. There are a lot of Mustang options. Keep offering Camaro enthusiasts options. We love making our cars look different. Do not allow dealers to order some of these graphics. Custom cars take too long to sell, and it's bad for GM's image. Offer these at the parts counter. Keep offering the stripe packages we already have.
  • Wheel and tire packages—not all aftermarket wheels are the same in quality. Start sanctioning aftermarket brands and making relationships with quality manufacturers. You did something similar with Pedders suspension components, if I remember correctly.
  • Forced induction—where is my supercharger? Market a GM-sanctioned TVS 2300 kit. Make it the headliner of a pamphlet at every dealer. Make every dealer order 1 supercharger and put it in a glass case so people can stare at it while they get maintenance done. Do something. This will sell. I promise you.
  • Mag ride kit—find some way to get this installed in cars that don't have it. It can be expensive. We know that the technology is good, and we know that it costs money.
  • Suspension options for almost every car—give us sway bars, coilovers, lowering springs, and strut tower braces for everything from Sparks to Corvettes. Young buyers need to feel that emotional bond with their car, and the Camaro isn't the first car for most people. Give young buyers in Sonics some cool options. Working on their cars makes them feel attached to their cars. This is how you create lifelong GM enthusiasts.
  • Ridiculous off-road options—while this doesn't apply to the Camaro, make aftermarket options that are easy to attain through licensing at every dealership and allow people to keep their warranty coverage.

GM spends a lot of time and money making the world's best cars. Now, you need to sell them, and you can do it with the help of enthusiasts. Create enthusiasts by giving regular car buyers options that bring them into car culture so that they, too, can understand the passionate bond between man and machine.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Bhobbs


 
Bhobbs's Avatar
 
Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28, 1970 Chevelle
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 2,544
I agree. You should be able to drive into a Chevy dealership and have them throw on at least basic performance mods. Cam, headers, exhaust, coil overs, wheels and tires and even stuff like ported heads, high output fuel pumps.
Bhobbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,255
Well thought out, well said..."but" I think we would be better served if all you mentioned were available off of an option list that you choose when you order the car from the factory...Factory installed options, instead of dealer, or dealer installed options would really be awesome...

It would be awesome to be able to pick, choose, mix/match options to one's own preference...Doesn't seem to be feasible for manufacturing these days, unfortunately...Just sayin, if they won't do it on the assembly line, probably won't be available through a dealer, either...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:09 PM   #4
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,178
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Well thought out, well said..."but" I think we would be better served if all you mentioned were available off of an option list that you choose when you order the car from the factory...Factory installed options, instead of dealer, or dealer installed options would really be awesome...

It would be awesome to be able to pick, choose, mix/match options to one's own preference...Doesn't seem to be feasible for manufacturing these days, unfortunately...Just sayin, if they won't do it on the assembly line, probably won't be available through a dealer, either...
I would like to see these marketed as dealer-installed accessories for 3 good reasons: financing, manufacturing, and the law. Not everyone can finance these additions. For those buyers, many of whom get the itch to do this after having the car for a little bit, being able to upgrade later lets the car feel new and fresh again. It is common for car enthusiasts to start with a great vehicle and want to modify it later. Who is better to help than the people who made the car? Your parts dealer could be the first place you go to modify your car since you can trust GM quality. This is a great opportunity for GMPP.

The other reason is manufacturing. It is very expensive to make cars, and more options make it even more expensive. Adding options increases the base price, and that is something GM cannot afford to do. The car is already so technologically superior to the Mustang that there's significantly less profit in it. Adding more options will cause people who don't want them to potentially buy something else. It doesn't make sense to drive up the cost for an optional supercharger. That brings me to the third reason, the law. Modifying the car would require new emissions testing, and all of that testing could hurt GM's CAFE standing. That's a problem for a manufacturer looking to improve its average fuel economy. As aftermarket options, this doesn't matter. Customers don't have to pay a gas guzzler tax, and people can buy reliable parts at the parts counter. This is definitely the right way to do it.

I think it is imperative to know that I normally wouldn't want to rebut you so bluntly, but I want to make clear to anyone at GM who may be reading this that I've thought this through. This is the right way to do it. They just need to make it happen.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:00 PM   #5
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I would like to see these marketed as dealer-installed accessories for 3 good reasons: financing, manufacturing, and the law. Not everyone can finance these additions. For those buyers, many of whom get the itch to do this after having the car for a little bit, being able to upgrade later lets the car feel new and fresh again. It is common for car enthusiasts to start with a great vehicle and want to modify it later. Who is better to help than the people who made the car? Your parts dealer could be the first place you go to modify your car since you can trust GM quality. This is a great opportunity for GMPP.

The other reason is manufacturing. It is very expensive to make cars, and more options make it even more expensive. Adding options increases the base price, and that is something GM cannot afford to do. The car is already so technologically superior to the Mustang that there's significantly less profit in it. Adding more options will cause people who don't want them to potentially buy something else. It doesn't make sense to drive up the cost for an optional supercharger. That brings me to the third reason, the law. Modifying the car would require new emissions testing, and all of that testing could hurt GM's CAFE standing. That's a problem for a manufacturer looking to improve its average fuel economy. As aftermarket options, this doesn't matter. Customers don't have to pay a gas guzzler tax, and people can buy reliable parts at the parts counter. This is definitely the right way to do it.

I think it is imperative to know that I normally wouldn't want to rebut you so bluntly, but I want to make clear to anyone at GM who may be reading this that I've thought this through. This is the right way to do it. They just need to make it happen.
Makes sense...Just to add, I would think GM would see the demand for aftermarket performance parts and get in on the action...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #6
revychevy
 
revychevy's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 2SS RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: St Louis mo.
Posts: 261
Well said.
__________________
2SS RS bone stock for now...
revychevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,178
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Makes sense...Just to add, I would think GM would see the demand for aftermarket performance parts and get in on the action...
That's exactly what I think should happen. There's so much demand for certain parts that GM should offer competitive options within their own manufacturing standards. It would give customers a good reason to come back, and that is where they get the chance to sell service. Dealers will love it, too, because they want customers to be loyal to their service department. It helps them sell service customers new cars. Giving customers a reason to come back reinforces brand loyalty and ensures that previous customers are customers in the future.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:27 AM   #8
TSSUNAMI
It was ninety nine cents!
 
TSSUNAMI's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Jeep Wrangler
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 1,720
Blur:

I couldn't have said this better myself.

While I LOVE the aftermarket community and I am thankful for all of them who have worked so hard for us to be able to provide products for us to make our cars our own: What about the folks who just don't want to mess with their warranties. I know several people who are just MISSING OUT on all the fun of putting a personal touch on their vehicles.


GREAT POST>

GM If you're listening (I'll bet my precious 1SS that you are)

Listen to this guy.
__________________
TSSUNAMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:18 AM   #9
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775
 
FINALLYSATISFIED's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1#206 (Sold) 6th Gen!?
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,382
I 100% agree with everything you said...

I'd be interested in some sort of exclusive program similar to Ford's Super Snake package. Warrantied without having to worry about voiding. Expansion and more thought in the GMPP Division.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 ZL1
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Consider this an open letter to our friends at GM.

I've been discussing with some fellow enthusiasts a vision of GM Performance Parts that I think has been lost in the shuffle. General Motors is a large conglomerate containing so many brands and labels that it seems near unmanageable. It is truly remarkable that we have such quality and diverse choices coming from such a large manufacturer. Some would say we are blessed.

With the 5thgen winding down and a secret 6thgen coming to the market in the not-too-distant future, GM needs to think about branding itself as fun, exciting, and performance-oriented. These are all crucial to advertising vehicles that take Average Joe from point A to point B, and it makes sense that GMPP should roll out products that reflect these qualities in GM vehicles.

Before I state what I want from GMPP, let's talk about GM's marketing and what GM is manufacturing right now. GM is at war for the hearts, minds, and wallets of unaffiliated drivers. Some people will pretty much always drive a Chevy. Others will pretty much always drive a Dodge. It's good to get those guys, but let's look at where we've lost a lot of market share over the years, and our products belong in their garages. I say "we" and "our" because I feel a connection to GM's brands based on the quality of engineering behind them. I could write an unbiased, journalistic review of a Camaro versus a Challenger or Mustang any day, and my moderator status here reflects my opinion of the Camaro's superiority. That opinion wasn't a product of my dad driving a Silverado or my mom driving a Malibu. My dad's driving a Forester, and my mom drives a Caliber, and neither of them is a symbol of automotive brand loyalty. They both are typical car buyers, but they haven't been sold on GM yet. They don't understand the engineering, and it's going to take a lot of work to explain how GM products are fundamentally better built than everything else out there. How can we prove it?

Let's start with the soul of GM. When I talk about soul, I mean the spirited personality of what makes GM. Toyota has no soul. There is nothing special about Toyota, and yet we fight them viciously for sales. We do this because they have streamlined their manufacturing to only attack markets with massive sales. They backed out of sport markets because they have lost their soul—their desire to compete. Even with their addition to NASCAR, they produced a vehicle for the purpose of racing that isn't fair to what they actually produce as a brand. GM has a soul, and that soul is in its performance vehicles. I'm talking about Z71 trucks, Corvettes, V-badged Cadillacs, turbo EcoTecs, and of course the Camaro. That's why you're reading this thread.

The 6th generation Camaro is a continuation of the greatest American pony car. It is a GT car that smokes competition in and out of its price range. The Camaro is a terrifying threat to high-end niche manufacturers due to its incredible design and quality of manufacture, and let's not forget the power. It is fast. There is so much to love about the soul of GM, but the marketing isn't marketing the soul the right way. Perhaps the answer is a grassroots campaign guided not by marketing professionals but parts counter guys.

The GM parts guy at our local Chevrolet dealer is a good friend to car enthusiasts. This is the guy with a '69 Chevelle in his garage, restored to perfect working order after countless hours of labor and too many paychecks spent at work doing fun, not work. I know this guy. The specific guy I described works where I got my first Camaro, and he's an impressively knowledgeable guy. I respect his experience, and I definitely respect his car. Unfortunately for the both of us, using GM parts for his '69 Chevelle is not an option due to significantly better aftermarket options.

There's a reason for that. GMPP offers crappy accessories. There—I said it. Don't tell me I'm wrong. You've got studies and market research proving that most customers want to accessorize their car, but you're offering them floor mats. That's thinking like you're in the '70s, and we're way past that. We need to be competitive with serious brands, and more importantly our competition. There are two mainstream car companies that are definitely doing it the right way, and GM needs to get on this bandwagon to keep up.

First, I'd like to talk about Scion. I've already said Toyota had no soul, but their weird tuner brand has a uniqueness that is unprecedented. They offer no trim levels, and a significant number of options are in the form of accessories. It's a weird approach to selling cars, but it requires them to offer innovative solutions and extremely custom vehicles that their clients love. It is very important to build the emotional bond between the buyer and the product. That's the key to Apple's success as a company, and you even teach your salespeople to include this in the sales process. Emotion is irrational, and yet it drives us to make live-changing decisions. Make it so that your prospective buyers become customers based on the same variety of options.

Second, let's talk about Ford Racing. This is the real target. The Mustang is directly competing with the Camaro, as you know. Mustang buyers have options at the dealership that Chevy buyers do not have. Don't get me wrong. You're on the right track by offering the 1LE track pack. Keep up that trend. Currently, we've got some work to do to get competitive, and that track pack is a good start. I want you to look at all the options GMPP offers and honestly tell me that they're the same as Ford Racing. Salespeople should be able to sell at every dealer, not just SLP dealers, quality, GM-approved parts that improve the performance of the vehicle and allow customers, and Camaro5 forum members, to stop asking if the headers, exhaust, intake, and other simple modifications will void their powertrain warranty.

There's that emotion thing again. By selling a car with soul, you create joy and excitement. Unfortunately, you're also creating fear. Fear is a bad thing. Don't sell fear. Do everything you can to stop GM from selling fear. How does this happen? You sell a muscle car—a car with a reputation for demolishing opponents at the track—but you make buyers worry about whether they'll get in trouble for modifying it to do what you made it to do, race. Give us the parts we need to race safely, and charge us for them! It's a brilliant proposition: make money off of customers by selling them parts that give them unique identity and a sense of safety when doing what you told them to do. You didn't really expect SS, 1LE, and ZL1 owners to buff and polish their cars every weekend, did you? Don't be naive. Give them some track toys. Give us stage kits. Do you remember the Cobalt SS Supercharged? That car was done right. You offered sanctioned upgrade kits labeled by stage, and then you said the supercharged model wasn't good enough, so you gave them a track-dominating, LNF-powered SS Turbocharged. That thing is a monster for a compact, and no one could compete in that price range. That was a great product, too, but focus on the aftermarket goodies. The Supercharged model had all the upgrades.

Now that I've told you how great GM has been in recent years, I hope you feel a little better about the criticism. I'm going to give you some serious suggestions, and I hope GM finds some way to incorporate these into the future of GM Performance Parts. This is important. This is a lot of money waiting to go into GM after the sale. As I've already said, you have the market research to prove that this will work. People want to accessorize their cars, but you're not giving them what they want. Stop offering chrome exhaust tips on Malibus. Offer these options instead:
  • Tuning—this is perhaps more important than anything else. Let people get a GM-sanctioned tune for headers and other parts. Give them a warranty-approved tune so they stop trying to hack your computers or hide their tune from you.
  • Graphics—think Ford Racing. There are a lot of Mustang options. Keep offering Camaro enthusiasts options. We love making our cars look different. Do not allow dealers to order some of these graphics. Custom cars take too long to sell, and it's bad for GM's image. Offer these at the parts counter. Keep offering the stripe packages we already have.
  • Wheel and tire packages—not all aftermarket wheels are the same in quality. Start sanctioning aftermarket brands and making relationships with quality manufacturers. You did something similar with Pedders suspension components, if I remember correctly.
  • Forced induction—where is my supercharger? Market a GM-sanctioned TVS 2300 kit. Make it the headliner of a pamphlet at every dealer. Make every dealer order 1 supercharger and put it in a glass case so people can stare at it while they get maintenance done. Do something. This will sell. I promise you.
  • Mag ride kit—find some way to get this installed in cars that don't have it. It can be expensive. We know that the technology is good, and we know that it costs money.
  • Suspension options for almost every car—give us sway bars, coilovers, lowering springs, and strut tower braces for everything from Sparks to Corvettes. Young buyers need to feel that emotional bond with their car, and the Camaro isn't the first car for most people. Give young buyers in Sonics some cool options. Working on their cars makes them feel attached to their cars. This is how you create lifelong GM enthusiasts.
  • Ridiculous off-road options—while this doesn't apply to the Camaro, make aftermarket options that are easy to attain through licensing at every dealership and allow people to keep their warranty coverage.

GM spends a lot of time and money making the world's best cars. Now, you need to sell them, and you can do it with the help of enthusiasts. Create enthusiasts by giving regular car buyers options that bring them into car culture so that they, too, can understand the passionate bond between man and machine.
I agree 100% with 60% of what you said!
__________________
2012 CAMARO-ZL1
Sincere Thanks to City Chevrolet, Charlotte, NC http://www.citychevrolet.com/blog/ca...et-camaro-zl1/
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:17 AM   #11
Indy Bumble Bee
 
Indy Bumble Bee's Avatar
 
Drives: Beest
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Indy
Posts: 665
Well said... if you look at ford they offer a variety of accessory upgrades like recaro seats, a v6 performance package....yes v6 people want performance too. We just don't have that option. There is a huge market for GM.
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
dcoates18481
WWW.TEXASMILE.NET
 
dcoates18481's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 CAMARO RALLY YELLOW SS/RS/M6
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Aransas Pass Texas area
Posts: 577
Agreed 100%

Emphasis on the fear of losing warranty coverage for bolt on gear like headers and tunes!
This should be a GM supported function.
__________________
I LIKE TO GO FAST!

Lethal Racing Night Fury Cam Kit, Melling oil pump, C5R Timing Chain, Dyno Tuned by Shawn@Lethal Racing, Vararam Tuned intake, Vararam Power Wedge, LSR Tri Ax Short throw Shifter, VMAX Ported T/B, TSP 2" L/T Headers, TSP Cat delete, Borla axle back exhaust, Innovate A/F monitor, 471.7 HP/438.8 TQ
dcoates18481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #13
thebigbankhank
 
Drives: 2000 XCSB Silverado 2012 CBR 1000RR
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 8
The slogan I have at my shop is "Don't just own it, Make it your own!" I think you hit the nail on the head with this one.


Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
thebigbankhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:31 PM   #14
Silverlsinva


 
Silverlsinva's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Manassas, Va
Posts: 3,099
What a great post i feel the same way and i hope the Gm people are paying attention. Might be too late for the 6th gen Camaro for this to happen but maybe they can start on next cars comming out.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #15
VR Code R6P
 
Drives: 2011 Race Red GT500 w/ SVT Perf Pkg
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: eastern CO
Posts: 575
Better yet, just offer the car with a large variation of power, transmission, suspension, and other goodies FROM THE FACTORY, and vary the price and warranty to match.

Then no one has to go through the hassle of the mod installation, wasted take-off parts, and MY biggest fear, making changes that are improperly or poorly done. It should just be simpler. You want more power...boom, different axle ratio... boom, etc. etc.

Chevrolet knows how to make it run!

Like Nike. Just Do It.
VR Code R6P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #16
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,178
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Code R6P View Post
Better yet, just offer the car with a large variation of power, transmission, suspension, and other goodies FROM THE FACTORY, and vary the price and warranty to match.

Then no one has to go through the hassle of the mod installation, wasted take-off parts, and MY biggest fear, making changes that are improperly or poorly done. It should just be simpler. You want more power...boom, different axle ratio... boom, etc. etc.

Chevrolet knows how to make it run!

Like Nike. Just Do It.
I know GM would probably love to do this, but each modification from the factory requires emissions and other testing, requiring lots of expense and potentially hurting GM's standing with CAFE and other federal regulations. By offering them as aftermarket, we can consider these options just like we consider any other options, except GMPP would come from our trusted Chevrolet parts dealer.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #17
68vert
 
68vert's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SIM SS/RS, 1968 RS convertible
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 725
I spent $$$ on CAI, LT headers, HF cats, axle back, 3.73 gears, trailing arms, springs, new shifter...etc. I would love to have purchased these through GM. 100% support this.
__________________
2010 SIM SS/RS see garage for mods
68vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #18
Firefighter


 
Firefighter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa by way of Miami...
Posts: 2,356
The latest GMPP catalog has some interesting parts in it... they just need to make it so they won't void your warranty if installed by the dealer. Supposedly the suspension parts are G2G for the warranty but don't break a seal on the engine or change the tune.

I was all ready to add the Cam and Headers from GMPP until they said it would void my warranty. I'll most likely do the brake upgrade on the 1LE and give the car a 1 year shake down and crack the motor. Out of the shoot she will get a CAI. and a ported TB and maybe one or two other "safe" mods. I'll be acehing to do some LT's and the cam and headers though. There is a good chance I will go to aftermarket parts when that happens.

They should offer intakes, headers mid length and Long tubes, cams and heads, all with sanctioned tunes.

I would love to add $5K-$10K in performance goodies to my 1LE order that I will make in a couple of weeks.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:43 AM   #19
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: '10 ABM LT/RS, 06 Chevy Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 9,184
Blur....I agree with you so much and am very glad you posted this!

It just makes so much sense, and you are right about offering this stuff as DEALER installed options instead of from the factory, as offering this stuff from the factory would add to much cost to the bottom line.

Off the top of my head, the main reason I see GM not going along is because of increased warranty services....more cost on them, so I could see something like this happening:

For basic mods like air intakes, headers, exhaust, gears and what not offer those up and a tune just like The Blur has stated. For those extensive mods like Forced Induction, or cams I can see GM asking for another X amount of dollars to keep your warranty which would offset any additional costs.

Oh, and yes don't forget us V6 guys, we want intakes, exhaust, headers or highflow cats as well!
__________________
IPF Tune, Custom Magnaflow Exhaust, Vararam intake, MACE Ported Manifold, RX Ported TB, "Black Ice" manifold insulator, Elite Catch Can, ZL1 repro wheels, ZL1 Springs, DRL Harness, Front GM GFX, Heritage grill, Street Scene lower grill, NLP Spoiler, ZL1 rockers and much more!
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
90503


 
Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Torrance
Posts: 10,255
All this would be nice and all...but I'm having a little trouble seeing how dealer parts and installs could be warrantied....Most of them seem like deal-killers now for warranty, not to mention what the effect would be on emissions tests for registration in the future...dunno...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
The_Blur
Moderator, USN
 
The_Blur's Avatar
 
Drives: 6.2L of AWESOME! 2011 L99 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NAS Pensacola
Posts: 14,178
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Blur....I agree with you so much and am very glad you posted this!

It just makes so much sense, and you are right about offering this stuff as DEALER installed options instead of from the factory, as offering this stuff from the factory would add to much cost to the bottom line.

Off the top of my head, the main reason I see GM not going along is because of increased warranty services....more cost on them, so I could see something like this happening:

For basic mods like air intakes, headers, exhaust, gears and what not offer those up and a tune just like The Blur has stated. For those extensive mods like Forced Induction, or cams I can see GM asking for another X amount of dollars to keep your warranty which would offset any additional costs.

Oh, and yes don't forget us V6 guys, we want intakes, exhaust, headers or highflow cats as well!
I'm glad you brought this up. This is a great opportunity for GM Financing and the dealership finance department. GM could offer aftermarket warranty options specifically for those who go this route. You could opt for a warranty on your forced induction package at a nominal fee and even qualify for financing at the dealership.
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
gm performance parts, gmpp, warranty

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.