Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016 Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #69
grocerygetter
instigator
 
grocerygetter's Avatar
 
Drives: Black on black 2009 C6
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: 72034
Posts: 3,966
I think pete is right. I think the 6th gen is going to be truly something new. Don't forget that is a magazines rendering. Not GM. I plan on this 2010 I have now being my last Camaro purchase....well, new style. I still want a late 60s. I want to end up back in a vette or a V sedan in a year or two.
__________________
-John S.

2014 GMC CC Z71, 2009 C6 vette (672/639 at the wheel and less than 3300lbs)
2010 Camaro 2ss/rs---SOLD 4/15/14
-654whp with a few cosmetic things, Pfadt suspension, Vortech, CircleD, GPI ss3 vvt bump stick, gears, stuff in between,18" TSW N'rings for drag duty, 20" Forgestar F14s for street.

Thanks to:
Tony@ dv8motoring
rhino@ Gwatney Chevrolet/GPI Jacksonville AR
TCAudio in Benton AR
grocerygetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:31 PM   #70
HumanWiki
'16 2SS on order
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
Aww why the fuddy duddy attitude? Your basically saying we shouldn't imagine or speculate on anything until we have cold hard facts? Whats the fun in that?

I have to say...I like it very much, and it is quite close to what I would be hoping for with the 6th gen assuming they wanted to make at an evolution of the 5th gen. I like it from all sides and the raise in the hood still gives it a bit of a muscle car type appearance. I even love the rear end...its just GREAT!

Good power, on a lighter chassis, with this body.....I'm SOLD.

Chevy...are you listening???
Where's the fun in getting all worked up over what will/won't become the 6th gen?

The simple fact that you're already sold tells me that you and I won't have much of a common ground to really discuss why I think it's too early to be sold on it.

How can you be sold because it's lighter and has more power? None of that is fact, yet.
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #71
Dylan88
UCF Knights
 
Dylan88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2LT RS
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Tampa/Orlando
Posts: 388
__________________
Dylan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #72
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 11,816
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Chevy goes away from 5th gen styling all together for something new. Every different generation before has been a new style, so it wouldn't surprise me if Chevy goes that way with the 6th gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
Where's the fun in getting all worked up over what will/won't become the 6th gen?

The simple fact that you're already sold tells me that you and I won't have much of a common ground to really discuss why I think it's too early to be sold on it.

How can you be sold because it's lighter and has more power? None of that is fact, yet.
So your saying you've NEVER seen a concept car and thought to yourself "wow, I'd really be interested in that car if it came to production" ???

Sure you haven't.

That's all I'm doing here....playing the "what if" game. I'm assuming it will be lighter, and have similar power figures.

Most of the information points to Chevy going on the alpha platform for the next gen, and so it will be lighter for sure IF Camaro goes to Alpha. It may be lighter by 400 lbs, or it may only be 100 lbs lighter, but it will be. I'd guess the base Camaro coming in at around 3,400 lbs, and that is based on information from the Cadillac ATS. Can you really not see the car getting lighter??

Also, you can bet your behind that it will be just as fast but likely faster than the 5th gen. They could put a slightly less powerful V8 in this car if its much lighter and the car will still be faster and more agile than the 5th gen, but that's neither here nor there.

Look, I'm not going to get into it further with you. You think me (and frankly everyone else here) showing interest in this sketch is silly...then so be it. Well talk in a year or two when the real information starts popping up.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #73
HumanWiki
'16 2SS on order
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
It wouldn't surprise me at all if Chevy goes away from 5th gen styling all together for something new. Every different generation before has been a new style, so it wouldn't surprise me if Chevy goes that way with the 6th gen.



So your saying you've NEVER seen a concept car and thought to yourself "wow, I'd really be interested in that car if it came to production" ???

Sure you haven't.

That's all I'm doing here....playing the "what if" game. I'm assuming it will be lighter, and have similar power figures.

Most of the information points to Chevy going on the alpha platform for the next gen, and so it will be lighter for sure IF Camaro goes to Alpha. It may be lighter by 400 lbs, or it may only be 100 lbs lighter, but it will be. I'd guess the base Camaro coming in at around 3,400 lbs, and that is based on information from the Cadillac ATS. Can you really not see the car getting lighter??

Also, you can bet your behind that it will be just as fast but likely faster than the 5th gen. They could put a slightly less powerful V8 in this car if its much lighter and the car will still be faster and more agile than the 5th gen, but that's neither here nor there.

Look, I'm not going to get into it further with you. You think me (and frankly everyone else here) showing interest in this sketch is silly...then so be it. Well talk in a year or two when the real information starts popping up.
The ZL1 was also assumed and expected to slaughter the GT500 in pretty much every way.. We all know that isn't true..

Though, I should ask.. If you're so up on performance and such.. Why did you get a V6 5th Gen?
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #74
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 11,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanWiki View Post
The ZL1 was also assumed and expected to slaughter the GT500 in pretty much every way.. We all know that isn't true..

Though, I should ask.. If you're so up on performance and such.. Why did you get a V6 5th Gen?
lol...I can't believe you just went there.


So because I own a V6 I must not know a damn thing about performance?

Sorry guys...I'll leave the site now since I'm obviously just a poser here...ya know...with my little V6.

lol Please tell me that was a joke. I'm dropping this before the mods come in and delete my posts which I put some good time and thought into.

Now lets get back to the real topic at hand.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #75
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 468
The 6th generation Camaro being lighter is pretty much a done deal, its a big reason why its going on the alpha platform.

The Cadillac ATS (first alpha car) has a stated curb weight of less then 3,400 pounds at least with the 2.5L 197BHP I-4 engine. Also they already stated that the 6th generation Camaro is to use the ATS sedan wheel base, as the ATS coupe will have a shorter wheel base.

Though the 6th generation Camaro is likely to pack the 2.0L turbo engine that produces 272BHP @ 5,500rpms and 260ft-lbs @ 1,700rpms. The current Camaro with the 3.6L LFX engine produces 323BHP and weighs in at 3,750 pounds. 11.6 pounds per horsepower, and if the 6th generation Camaro with the 2.0T engine were to weigh in at 3,400 pounds. It would have a power to weight ratio of 12.5 pounds per horsepower, so not as good as the 5th generation with V-6 engine. However the other .9 pounds per horsepower can be made up in other areas, for example 8 speed automatic and 7 speed DSG gear box. Improved aerodynamics would also go a long way to helping to bridge the gap and also bumping the horsepower of the 2.0T engine. If it produced 290BHP it would have a similar power to weight ratio as the 5th generation LFX V-6 Camaro and add to that 8 and 7 speed transmission. You could produce a 6th generation Camaro that gets better fuel economy, is faster, and much more of a drivers car when compared to the 5th generation car.

Whats to not like, for one some people really like the sound of the LFX V6 engine (I am actually one of them). Some people do not like the sound of I-4 engines even I-4 turbo engines and some see I-4 engines purely as something pedestrian.

From videos of the ATS with the 2.0L turbo I actually like the way that engine sounds and wouldn't mind it. The notion of a Camaro faster then the current V-6 Camaro but can get say 35MPG on the highway I find to be an impressive engineering feat.

Even more so the next generation Camaro with a gen 5 SBC under the hood should also be impressive and I can't wait to see that either.
doc7000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #76
GhostRS
Veteran
 
GhostRS's Avatar
 
Drives: BLK 2010 2SS/RS
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Empire State
Posts: 441
Really like this concept and looking forward to seeing what Chevrolet makes up with for the 6th gen
GhostRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #77
HumanWiki
'16 2SS on order
 
HumanWiki's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 2,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
lol...I can't believe you just went there.


So because I own a V6 I must not know a damn thing about performance?

Sorry guys...I'll leave the site now since I'm obviously just a poser here...ya know...with my little V6.

lol Please tell me that was a joke. I'm dropping this before the mods come in and delete my posts which I put some good time and thought into.

Now lets get back to the real topic at hand.
__________________
2012 IOM Grand Sport 4LT Auto
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:29 PM   #78
TiE2000
 
TiE2000's Avatar
 
Drives: Cobalt SS/SC
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denver CO
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc7000 View Post
The 6th generation Camaro being lighter is pretty much a done deal, its a big reason why its going on the alpha platform.

The Cadillac ATS (first alpha car) has a stated curb weight of less then 3,400 pounds at least with the 2.5L 197BHP I-4 engine. Also they already stated that the 6th generation Camaro is to use the ATS sedan wheel base, as the ATS coupe will have a shorter wheel base.

Though the 6th generation Camaro is likely to pack the 2.0L turbo engine that produces 272BHP @ 5,500rpms and 260ft-lbs @ 1,700rpms. The current Camaro with the 3.6L LFX engine produces 323BHP and weighs in at 3,750 pounds. 11.6 pounds per horsepower, and if the 6th generation Camaro with the 2.0T engine were to weigh in at 3,400 pounds. It would have a power to weight ratio of 12.5 pounds per horsepower, so not as good as the 5th generation with V-6 engine. However the other .9 pounds per horsepower can be made up in other areas, for example 8 speed automatic and 7 speed DSG gear box. Improved aerodynamics would also go a long way to helping to bridge the gap and also bumping the horsepower of the 2.0T engine. If it produced 290BHP it would have a similar power to weight ratio as the 5th generation LFX V-6 Camaro and add to that 8 and 7 speed transmission. You could produce a 6th generation Camaro that gets better fuel economy, is faster, and much more of a drivers car when compared to the 5th generation car.

Whats to not like, for one some people really like the sound of the LFX V6 engine (I am actually one of them). Some people do not like the sound of I-4 engines even I-4 turbo engines and some see I-4 engines purely as something pedestrian.

From videos of the ATS with the 2.0L turbo I actually like the way that engine sounds and wouldn't mind it. The notion of a Camaro faster then the current V-6 Camaro but can get say 35MPG on the highway I find to be an impressive engineering feat.

Even more so the next generation Camaro with a gen 5 SBC under the hood should also be impressive and I can't wait to see that either.
As much as I like Chevy's 2.0T, I don't see Chevy dropping it into the Camaro... and to be honest I hope not...
I'm gonna call it now.

base - V6
Z28 - V6TT
SS - V8
ZL1 - V8 S/C

(Z28 & SS, can be swapped depending on which one you think is the higher trim)
TiE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #79
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 SS Camaro, 06 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 11,816
Not that some may care, but there is some info that ford may drop a 330+ HP/330+ TQ turbo 4 in its next gen base Mustang. That is impressive. Whether its true or not, who knows, but the engine does exist and used in the European market.

If Chevy bumps power to 300+ HP and TQ then I can see them using it in the base Camaro assuming the car is in the 3,400 lb range. Then it will perform very similar if not a bit better than today's V6. Otherwise if the power is lower, or the weight is higher then there will still be reason for a V6 which hopefully will have even more HP than today's 323HP LFX.

If the weight is low and the power of the turbo 4 is 300+ then I really see no reason for a V6 option (as much as I hate to say that because I want to see the V6 return). I do think a TTV6 is a real possibility for sure.
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:47 PM   #80
doc7000
 
Drives: 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lomita,CA
Posts: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiE2000 View Post
As much as I like Chevy's 2.0T, I don't see Chevy dropping it into the Camaro... and to be honest I hope not...
I'm gonna call it now.

base - V6
Z28 - V6TT
SS - V8
ZL1 - V8 S/C

(Z28 & SS, can be swapped depending on which one you think is the higher trim)
What would be the price points and power levels for the different trim levels?

When you say base V-6 do you mean LFX engine? so 321BHP (as in the alpha ATS).

V6 TT engine? which one as GM has been working on two different turbo V6 engines. One based on the 3.0L engine and another based on the 3.6L engine with the rumored power rating of the 3.6L engine being about 425BHP. In that case what would be the power level of the SS V-8 engine? based on some early data there is a 6.2L 475BHP Gen V engine.

Also its likely that future forced induction V8 engine will be twin turbocharged and not super charged. Seeing that the ATS V might pack a TT V-6 engine its also likely that the Alpha Camaro will pack the same engine.

I honestly would love to see a 5.0L V-8 engine dropped into a Z28 Camaro, would make things interesting. Add to that a 5.0L Hemi Cuda then we could have some real fun.....
doc7000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #81
tstanfa
 
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/IOM w/orange int.
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyanSS View Post
Yep, its called heritage. I do not see a major redesign coming for 2015. I think this is perfect... still kinda what we have now, but even cooler. They did it with the Mustang. In 2020 they can do a complete redesign.
I think a complete redesign is in the works as the Camaro is moving to a new platform in 2015. This will coincide with about the time frame that the re-designed Mustang comes out. Can't let the Blue Oval Boys get to far ahead of the Bowtie!
tstanfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM   #82
Cam#7

 
Cam#7's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: STL
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyYellowPlease View Post
So, how far away are we from seeing real pictures? The 5th gen had a concept made by the time the Transformers movie came out (2007). Three years before it's release in 2010.

If it's coming out in 2015, shouldnt they have a concept built already? I wonder when we'll get some real pictures.
The Gen5 concept was shown way early because it wasn't competing against a current production model Camaro.

We're not going to see true Camaro concepts until the next Mustang is close to production or the Gen5 sales go way down.
__________________
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #83
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9
 
PYROLYSIS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Summerv1LE SC
Posts: 5,150
This drawing is ok, but it's not better than the fifth gen and it looks too much like one. I lke the 2nd gen re-hashes better than this though I don't really want the 6th gen to like like a modern 2nd gen. I would like something completely new and different. They could go that direction and stiil make it look like a Camaro.
__________________
BRING BACK THE B4C POLICE CAMARO!
2002 V-6 5 speed rally red (current camaro) Also driven:1992 Z-28 305 auto Red w/ black stripes (anniversary), 2001 V-6 auto light pewter metallic,1991 RS V-6 auto Black
PYROLYSIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #84
Fornax
 
Fornax's Avatar
 
Drives: Inferno Orange Camaro 1SS/RS
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Walnutport, PA
Posts: 61
I'd buy it. Looks really cool.
Fornax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #85
BlackMamba88
 
BlackMamba88's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 Challenger 345 R/T
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 290
Short, Phat, Wide, & Lighter... That is exactly what I want it to look like, basically a face lift 5th Gen
That is so darn sweet, im so glad I held out. I will be selling my Beast Blue Challenger R/T to get that baby.

Hey Taylor, do you know the engine selection? Thanks a lot for making my day a tad better!
__________________
BlackMamba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Tags
2015 camaro, 2015 camaro forum, 2015 camaro forums, 2015 camaro news, 2015 camaro rumors, 2015 chevrolet camaro, 2015 chevy camaro, 2016 camaro, 2016 camaro forum, 2016 camaro forums, 2016 camaro news, 2016 camaro rumors, 2016 chevrolet camaro, 2016 chevy camaro, 2017 camaro, 2017 chevy camaro, 6 gen camaro, 6th gen camaro, 6th gen camaro forum, 6th gen camaro forums, 6th gen camaro info, 6th gen camaro news, 6th gen camaro rumors, 6th gen chevrolet camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro, 6th gen chevy camaro forum, 6th generation camaro, 6th generation camaro info, 6th generation camaro news, 6th generation camaro rumors, 6th generation chevy camaro, camaro 6th gen, camaro 6th generation

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.