Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #15
Foster26

Drives: 2SS/RS IOM 6SP CGRS #9761
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzd01 View Post
This is hilarious! I think the wife would be a little concerned if I brought this to the house. Although, I could actually live in this thing... hmmm.
Foster26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #16
Foster26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
The inside is soft but what causes the scratches is dust. Dust does and will get under the cover. A little updraft or difference in pressure and the natural dust in the air or the dust on the ground will be blown under and in the cover, just like how dust still gets on furniture that's been covered and put in storage.

As for the little ones, a cover won't prevent most of the damage they will do and can possibly do more harm then good if they rub on a place where some dust got into.
Man, I really like this cover but you're opening my eyes to some potential disappointment. I appreciate the info. Another question for you: Do you dust off your car? Can you scratch the paint by doing this? I've heard people say you should always spray the car off and then shamois it. What do you do?
Old 11-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #17
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
Do you dust off your car? Can you scratch the paint by doing this? I've heard people say you should always spray the car off and then shamois it. What do you do?
Rinse it off. There is no way I'll just dust the car as any kind of rubbing the dust can scratch it.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
I've heard that there is a duster that actually lifts off the dust. I've never been brave enough to try it. I'm with Draco. Rinse and dry with a microfiber or chamois. And wash and store your towels and Chamois inside not in the garage... I know it sounds extreme but even in the plastic bins they get dust and you will swirl your paint...

try at your own risk.....

http://www.californiacardusters.com/...carduster.html
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:08 PM   #19
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I've heard that there is a duster that actually lifts off the dust.

i've heard nothing but good things about this, but rinsing then wiping seems optimum to me.

one thing i dont like about the car cover(apart from the potential scratching) is the advertisement('Camaro' printed on the side). if im covering my car im doing it for two reasons:
a) protect from elements b) hide whats underneath
its one thing for people to know you have a Camaro when you're driving it, another for them to know when you're nowhere near(most likely covering it for long term reasons)

ofcourse, one could just not cover it and let the whole world know, but the above mainly applies to anyone wanting to get the car cover. jmo

thanks to all for your info

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #20
Foster26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Rinse it off. There is no way I'll just dust the car as any kind of rubbing the dust can scratch it.
Ok, thanks Draco. Where in W NC are you? My company has a plant in Asheville. It is absolutely beautiful there!
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #21
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foster26 View Post
Ok, thanks Draco. Where in W NC are you? My company has a plant in Asheville. It is absolutely beautiful there!
Marion. It's a small lil city about 45 mins drive east of Asheville.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:41 PM   #22
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I've heard that there is a duster that actually lifts off the dust. I've never been brave enough to try it. I'm with Draco. Rinse and dry with a microfiber or chamois. And wash and store your towels and Chamois inside not in the garage... I know it sounds extreme but even in the plastic bins they get dust and you will swirl your paint...

Microfiber can scratch too, especially if it's low quality.

Car dusters are a great way to take off dust without scratching, just don't expect it to take off dirt.

I've used a car cover on my camaro since day one, and I daily drove it for a year of that time being kept outside. I still use my cover in the garage and I drive the car once every 1-2 weeks.

Using a car duster and detail sprays to clean the car between washes and then covering the car will be fine. Just remember to wash the cover occasionally as it will get dirty over time. Never cover the car if the car is dirty. Regular waxing will help protect from scratches also.

Car covers help greatly in keeping dust, rain, bird droppings, UV rays, ect off your car. Yes special care is required as you can scratch your car if you use a cheap cover or you trap dirt between the car and cover, but the benifits are worth it if done right.

More scratches and swirl marks are the result of improper washing and polishing than the use of a cover.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:20 AM   #23
Phil Oliver

Drives: 2010 SIM Camaro 1LT
I am going to get a car cover for the winter. She'll be parked outside for four months and I want her protected from the snow.