Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-21-2024, 08:50 AM   #15
ChibbMD

Drives: 2022 SS 1LE
Even with these Camaros I believe there are a lot of fish in the sea and plenty of opportunities to get a clean car with no questionable history. It's easy to get impatient when you're on the hunt. The only way I would mess with something like this (i.e. lemon, salvage/rebuilt title, or anything along those lines) would be if I genuinely couldn't afford the price of a clean one. If you're prepared to spend $40k+ just take a deep breath and move along.
ChibbMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:58 AM   #16
Slip3Kid

Drives: 2023 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSS View Post
Test drove it tonight but didn't have time to get into nuts and bolts with the sales drone. Car feels great and sticks to the road like it's glued to it. I tried to push it a little to see if I could notice anything weird with the motor, but Salesy McSalesman started getting a little twitchy in the passenger seat. All I really noticed was how bizarre it feels to move to a 10 speed auto from a 6 speed. I get that it probably helps with acceleration, but I'm used to fewer taller gears, lol. I need to go back and give it a good once over and play with the tech before I get too serious. looks like this car would be 48k new and they're asking 43. I think if I do make them an offer it'll be 30ish with a full warranty. If they'll take that its probably worth whatever trouble I have with it. Super tempted to buy the 6G and keep the 5th gen parked for a few months before selling it outright. That way if it turns out to still have issues I won't have lost my fun car.
One thing to keep in mind is you probably wont be able to mod this car at all for the life of the warranty. If you have any problems with it they will look for any reason to deny your warranty claims. I would also make damn sure any warranty you get is from GM and not some aftermarket crap.
In the long run you may get a smoking deal on a perfectly good car, good luck.

1/30 1100
3/23 2000
3/31 3000
4/04 3400 TPW 4/17
4/19 3800
4/20 4300
4/22 5000
4/24 6000
Slip3Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:16 AM   #17
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
Moved on from a cammed stage 2 with full bolt ons 5th gen SS to a 19' SS 1LE and absolutely no regrets, the driving feel and interior was well worth the jump. That being said, a lemon law car could be other issues beside the motor so I would well vet the car before buying it and definitely lowball as low as you can.

2019 SS 1LE - "CaSSandra" 2014 SS - "AleSSandra - Sold" 94 Z28 - Sold

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 09:56 AM   #18
TP2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Ask to see ALL the service paperwork on the car. Is it being sold by a GM dealer? If so, you'll probably have some luck asking for this. If it's a non-GM dealer selling, probably not. That paperwork will show the engine swap. If GM paid for it (almost certainly likely if it was actually done), there WILL be a substantial paperwork trail. Personally, I'd be careful with a lemon buyback, but not to the point of something that's been wrecked. Engines, ECU's, transmissions, BCMs, etc etc can be replaced and electrical issues can be found, but you'll NEVER return a car to factory condition that's been hit beyond a cracked bumper or dented front fender.
Could be a great deal for the right price IF you can verify the original problem and what they did to find and fix it through the entire process.
If they refused to provide ALL the service paperwork, I'd walk away at any price.
Magnetic Ride Control
Dual Mode Exhaust
2019+ version Split Spoke Silver Wheels
Navigation
Silver Rally Stripes
TP2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 10:24 AM   #19
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
I love the 5th gens but the 6th gen SS 1LE is imo the best all around Camaro made, maybe ever. There's no comparison really.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 05:30 PM   #20
TheEnthusiast

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 6MT
Quote:
Test drove it tonight but didn't have time to get into nuts and bolts with the sales drone. Car feels great and sticks to the road like it's glued to it. I tried to push it a little to see if I could notice anything weird with the motor, but Salesy McSalesman started getting a little twitchy in the passenger seat. All I really noticed was how bizarre it feels to move to a 10 speed auto from a 6 speed. I get that it probably helps with acceleration, but I'm used to fewer taller gears, lol. I need to go back and give it a good once over and play with the tech before I get too serious. looks like this car would be 48k new and they're asking 43. I think if I do make them an offer it'll be 30ish with a full warranty. If they'll take that its probably worth whatever trouble I have with it. Super tempted to buy the 6G and keep the 5th gen parked for a few months before selling it outright. That way if it turns out to still have issues I won't have lost my fun car.
$43k for a car turned in as a lemon and then "fixed"

No bro, no lemon. Keep looking, for that kind of money you can get something that wasn't returned as a lemon and is even nicer.
Old 05-21-2024, 05:56 PM   #21
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Tough decision, I loved my fifth GEN M6, but really love my six gen 10 due to old age, bad knees. Shop around don’t buy a lemon.
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 07:39 PM   #22
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
I had a 2010 2SS that was modded but traded it for a brand new 2016 2SS until it was repaired after a head on accident 6 months after I got it. Kept spending money on it until in 2019 I found a practically new 2017 ZL1 that had less than 500 miles. I traded the 2016 on the 2017 ZL1 and no regrets. Keep searching for a 6th gen is my advice. Good luck!
Old 05-21-2024, 10:12 PM   #23
Caerus

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1
The newer Gen6 is a better Camaro then the out going Gen5. The alpha chassis is superb and the newish technology is welcomed. I personally like the styling and interior better.

Don't ever buy a Lemon car. You are asking for potential problems from the get go; this is your warning. GM bought back my 2017 2SS as a Lemon with all sorts of problems and many unrelated. The car was just bad in every regard and there was no saving it. Some times just cut your losses and move on.

Focus on the newer Gen6 you can afford with low miles and avoid Lemon tagged cars. Just my experience, good luck.
Old 05-21-2024, 10:16 PM   #24
Texas1ss

Drives: 2016 Black 1SS, M6, NPP, Mag Ride
I bought a brand new 2015 1SS with an M6 off the lot at the end of 2015 for a huge discount because I didn't like the looks of the 2016 SS. Then the 2016 Camaro won Motor Trend's car of the year. I started checking into it more, and then over time the looks grew on me. I had huge buyer's remorse on the 2015 purchase.

Come October of 2016 I found the car I drive now, the same exact color and M6, only with Mag Ride and NPP. I dropped the hammer. Lot of love for the 2015, but the 6th Gen is just a way better car in every aspect. It was a shot to the wallet. I think I lost 11k on the trade, but well worth the money.

It drives, handles, and performs way better than the 2015. Shame they're getting canned again.

Edit: I'd be highly concerned about the engine, but if it was legitimately done, and it can be proven, for a hefty discount and with a solid warranty if it was me I'd go for it. But I'd get multiple extended warranties, like I did mine. I'm still good till 144k or July of '26 bumper to bumper, except for wear and tear parts and wiring.

Last edited by Texas1ss; 05-21-2024 at 10:27 PM.
Texas1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2024, 05:54 AM   #25
cdb95z28

Drives: 2022 1SS 1LE A10 BCD WCT+PDR
I came from a 2014 SS 1LE and finally took the plunge and ordered a '22 SS 1LE. Do it.
You'd be coming from just a regular SS, so the move would be massive.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:35 PM   #26
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
Just an FYI, I paid $41K new for my 2021 1LE. They are asking too much for a lemon. If your 5th gen is running fine overall, I’d wait. They made thousands of Camaros, the price will come down.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 03:57 PM   #27
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Hello! So I've been daily driving a Gen 5 2SS for the past 15 years and I love that car. BUT, it's definitely showing its age. Squeaky vents and windows, interior trim coming loose, radio old enough I can only connect my phone to talk (no music), occasional shimmy in the steering column that no one can find a cause for, etc... All that said, the motor is rock solid with scoop, CAI, headers, exhaust. All of those things are repairable or replaceable. But the local dealer has a '23 1SS 1LE with 2k miles on it. Wondering if anyone else here has driven both and has any words of wisdom about making the switch.

One caveat... 1st owner returned the car via CA's lemon laws due to a 'stalling engine'. Looks like they replaced the motor and are now reselling it in another state.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any feedback you can give!

MattSS
Knowing what I know now about the 6th gen, I would have preferred a 5th gen for mechanical reasons. Specifically the differential and rear end. The differential is pretty much bullet proof on the 5th gen, not so much on the 6th gens.

I guess the 5th gen Differential and rear end developed a nickname as "The Gravedigger" because GM couldn't intentionally get it to break when they tried. That's not to say its impossible, but, its known for being a BEAST in terms of durability and what it can handle.

From what I've read it might be similar if not same rear end as the 6th Gen ZL1's. And from what I heard those ZL1 rear ends can handle 1000hp and just keep asking for more.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 09:00 PM   #28
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I've had excellent luck with both a full-size extended cab Chevy 4X4 truck and a Nissan Sentra (half 2000 model welded to half a 2001) both with "salvage titles". Both vehicles just wouldn't die- LOL! But both had '0' value at the end of the day due to those histories but hey, I had more than my money's worth because I bought'em cheap.
I also had a 2010 Camaro V6RS manual bought new that I loved and fixed every short coming left in place by the factory. Including the 300+ HP V6 that got a Procharger to bring it up to the improved chassis level. Then I drove (on a lark) a 6th Gen Camaro. Head and shoulders better car. Had to have one.
Don't let that same accurate impression it had on you rush you into buying this 1LE.
In my home state, a used car dealer would (had to?) allow you to get in touch with the original owner. This car's history sounds "hinky" to say the least. The initial owner would fill you in on all the pertinent details. If you can't buy this car for a song- keep looking! Just my humble opinion.
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote