Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 05-20-2024, 07:43 AM   #1
jd2021

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Transmission Cooler Questions

Hello All,
Hope you guys are doing well today and had a good weekend!

This might sound like a dumb question, but I've just been thinking about it and am curious about it.

So I have an SS1LE with the A10, and since I do plan to add more power to it eventually, I plan to change out the stock transmission cooler to the ZL1 A10 transmission cooler. I'm wondering if there would be any type of cooling benefit to add the SS transmission cooler in-line somewhere else for the transmission cooling system, say from the transmission to the e-diff, or from the e-diff return to the transmission? Any thoughts on this?
jd2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 09:22 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2021 View Post
Hello All,
Hope you guys are doing well today and had a good weekend!

This might sound like a dumb question, but I've just been thinking about it and am curious about it.

So I have an SS1LE with the A10, and since I do plan to add more power to it eventually, I plan to change out the stock transmission cooler to the ZL1 A10 transmission cooler. I'm wondering if there would be any type of cooling benefit to add the SS transmission cooler in-line somewhere else for the transmission cooling system, say from the transmission to the e-diff, or from the e-diff return to the transmission? Any thoughts on this?
I've thought about where a cooler with a fan might fit, but there's not a lot of room. If you're creative, you might be able to stack another cooler above the tranny cooler, but GM engineered that whole area for airflow already, so physically changing it much could disturb a lot of their design. Have you thought about finding a larger cooler instead of running a ZL1? Maybe that, AND divorcing the tranny cooler from the radiator side tank.

It seems like there's building evidence that controlling engine oil cooling has a strong impact on the entire cooling system. As you might already know, all of the powertrain cooling, except the supercharger (in ZL1s - duh), pass through the radiator in some fashion. As a consequence - there is a huge load on the engine radiator, with one tank having the engine oil cooler and the other side containing the tranny/differential.

Evidence is showing supplementing/replacing/divorcing the engine oil cooler from the primary radiator circuit improves track performance for ALL. One method replaced the supercharger aux. cooler with an engine oil cooler and significant coolant and engine oil temperature improvements were found. Another found considerable improvements in eliminating the aux. radiator (right cheek) with a dedicated engine oil cooler. I believe BOTH eventually divorced engine oil from the OEM engine oil cooler, but BOTH methods showed demonstrably improved TOTAL powertrain cooling, including tranny.

Not to take away from your idea at all. BUT - because you're wanted to track the car, perhaps the engine oil cooler circuit is best addressed. I will freely admit I haven't tracked my car, and may never, but I HAVE noticed that I can heat the oil up under certain driving circumstances I wouldn't think would matter (and it's repeatable, so I know it's a thing). The single thing I worry about, is foul weather driving, and driving with engine/tranny oil too cold. I wonder if GM designed the cooling as it is for COLD weather, too. I'm sure hardly anyone will beat on the car in the freezing weather, but I wondering if that's part of the design architecture that we got from them.

Let us know what you come up with!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 11:21 AM   #3
jd2021

Drives: 2023 Camaro SS1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I've thought about where a cooler with a fan might fit, but there's not a lot of room. If you're creative, you might be able to stack another cooler above the tranny cooler, but GM engineered that whole area for airflow already, so physically changing it much could disturb a lot of their design. Have you thought about finding a larger cooler instead of running a ZL1? Maybe that, AND divorcing the tranny cooler from the radiator side tank.

It seems like there's building evidence that controlling engine oil cooling has a strong impact on the entire cooling system. As you might already know, all of the powertrain cooling, except the supercharger (in ZL1s - duh), pass through the radiator in some fashion. As a consequence - there is a huge load on the engine radiator, with one tank having the engine oil cooler and the other side containing the tranny/differential.

Evidence is showing supplementing/replacing/divorcing the engine oil cooler from the primary radiator circuit improves track performance for ALL. One method replaced the supercharger aux. cooler with an engine oil cooler and significant coolant and engine oil temperature improvements were found. Another found considerable improvements in eliminating the aux. radiator (right cheek) with a dedicated engine oil cooler. I believe BOTH eventually divorced engine oil from the OEM engine oil cooler, but BOTH methods showed demonstrably improved TOTAL powertrain cooling, including tranny.

Not to take away from your idea at all. BUT - because you're wanted to track the car, perhaps the engine oil cooler circuit is best addressed. I will freely admit I haven't tracked my car, and may never, but I HAVE noticed that I can heat the oil up under certain driving circumstances I wouldn't think would matter (and it's repeatable, so I know it's a thing). The single thing I worry about, is foul weather driving, and driving with engine/tranny oil too cold. I wonder if GM designed the cooling as it is for COLD weather, too. I'm sure hardly anyone will beat on the car in the freezing weather, but I wondering if that's part of the design architecture that we got from them.

Let us know what you come up with!
Yeah, this is all brainstorming for when I decide to address the cooling, so thanks for the thoughts! As we all know, being car guys, we love to daydream about the, "what if's" of our cars. I've tracked the car a couple times, and the temperatures definitely get up there, but since my car is stock for now, I haven't seen any reduction in power since my lap times stay pretty consistent (consistently bad ). I plan to address cooling though before adding more power so this will probably happen sooner rather than later, maybe sometime this year but I will definitely data log this when it happens.

My thought about adding the ZL1 cooler was that it's pretty OEM already and it's an easy swap, so that's why I was looking at that avenue. I plan to address the oil cooling as well by adding the C&R coolers up front, as those seem like they've been proven to actually work.
jd2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2024, 12:49 PM   #4
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2021 View Post
Yeah, this is all brainstorming for when I decide to address the cooling, so thanks for the thoughts! As we all know, being car guys, we love to daydream about the, "what if's" of our cars. I've tracked the car a couple times, and the temperatures definitely get up there, but since my car is stock for now, I haven't seen any reduction in power since my lap times stay pretty consistent (consistently bad ). I plan to address cooling though before adding more power so this will probably happen sooner rather than later, maybe sometime this year but I will definitely data log this when it happens.

My thought about adding the ZL1 cooler was that it's pretty OEM already and it's an easy swap, so that's why I was looking at that avenue. I plan to address the oil cooling as well by adding the C&R coolers up front, as those seem like they've been proven to actually work.
I like how you think. I consider how the OEM upgrades, like you, too. Pretty much any additional capacity is likely going to improve cooling, as you probably already thought about, so I think I'm reasoning along the same logic as you. Just make sure the line diameters aren't different between the two, too.

I know there's a point of diminishing returns, too, as far as core design goes. Sometimes too thick starts restricting flow to the cores behind it and I've often wondered if my thicker HE helps or hurts, but it's face isn't any bigger than stock, so I'm crossing my fingers at least that's okay. Who knows?... LOL.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote