Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-08-2020, 05:42 PM   #1
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Cammed on a Daily Driver

I'm thinking of installing a cam in my dd, and would like to know for those of you that have installed a cam in your daily driver if you:
  • Regret you did it and why?
  • Glad you did it and would do it again!
Also:
  • How many miles have you driven with it?
  • Has it caused any issues?
  • Do you track you dd as well?
  • What cam did you go with?
Thanks for your feedback!
Old 07-08-2020, 07:54 PM   #2
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Not on my 1le but my other camaro, a 2002 z28 is cammed , stalled and true duals exhaust. It’s loud and lots of fun. It had to get the supporting mods like headers, extra tranny cooling , better pushrods, better timing chain.
It eventually broke the tranny, but that’s partially due to me drag racing the car, and the nitrous.

So was it worth it ? Yes, Speed is always worth it to me.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #3
cmitchell17

Drives: 17 2SS, 8L90, Cam, Heads, E85
I put what would be considered I guess a stage 1/2, 228/236 .635/.635 TSP cam with Johnson lifters, PAC dual springs, TSP ported heads. I am kind of regretting now that I went with too big of a cam.

After me messing with stuff on the tune (which is endlessly frustrating), I got the idle I think about as good as its going to be, anything under 1000rpms it starts getting rough. Its also a little more dirty than I thought it would be and at idle I can smell it a little (I have both stock cats and stock exhaust) but its not as bad as a full cat deleted stock cam car. I can't notice anything different as far as drivability at speed even when the TC is locked down to almost 1000 rpms.

I never took the chance to degree the cam when I installed as I would like to know the true duration and would also give me a better idea of my dynamic compression ratio, especially since when I got the heads ported I got them milled too. I probably wouldn't like how low my dynamic compression is if I were to calculate it out if I knew my proper intake opening. Therefore, I would have probably chose something smaller to keep DCR up

For some reason I think I see a lot of negatives about TSP, people seem to like cam motion and some others. I didn't have any problems with my TSP stuff but they did send me the wrong checker to check my lifter preload and basically just told me to put it together and run it with the regular length pushrods they sent me, which just seems like they kind of don't care. I wanted everything back together and didn't really have the space and tools to keep messing with it so I put everything back together and its been fine for about 10k miles. I've been told with the high lift/aggressive ramp (not really sure how "aggressive" it is) to not expect more than about 50k miles from the springs not sure about the lifters or cam itself.
cmitchell17 is offline   Reply With Quote