Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-21-2017, 05:25 PM   #365
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
There is alot of discussion on the corvette forums about the A8 shudder and many believe that the Torque Converter (TC) is on the edge of design capacity and was built with inferior materials. So because of this, the active fuel management (AFM) causes undo stress on the transmission, TC and engine, by switching to and running in V4 mode, especially at low rpm's pulling a load on an incline. Many have installed AFM disablers that plug into the OBD port. This does not interfere with the programming, it just keeps the car in V8 all the time. I'm cautious to post links on the forum do to the moderators but if you google AFM disabler you can get them reasonably priced. I am waiting on how my flush works out hoping I can get a new TC first, but I will be getting one for my camaro for sure.

I don't think the fuel savings is substantial with AFM anyway. I would like to run in automatic V8 mode all the time. I will definitely compare MPG.

As far as I know, this does not leave any footprint on the ECM/TCM and can be unplugged when the car is not running.....hence, unknown should any warranty work be required.
Hate to burst their bubble, but the shudder has been reported on turbo 4s, the CTS-V, and ATS-V which I believe all do not have AFM. Now could AFM be a contributing factor, I'd definitely say yes. The driveline is under the most load then so would make sense. But as stated some time ago in this thread, the slip tables seem the be closer to root cause. The TC materials/QC definitely is on the right track too, since we have heard there are multiple revisions now.

As far as AFM not making a real difference, that depends on your driving habits. I have managed to take the a 25 mile average on the same strip of road (all highway). The difference was almost 6 mpgs (36.6mpg vs 30.4mpg). Most of the people claiming no improvement are driving stop and go, or urban areas which it definitely doesn't make a difference. On the highway at speed, the difference is significant. Is that worth it to some people? Probably not, but that's a matter of personal choice.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #366
Klayman

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post
Hate to burst their bubble, but the shudder has been reported on turbo 4s, the CTS-V, and ATS-V which I believe all do not have AFM. Now could AFM be a contributing factor, I'd definitely say yes. The driveline is under the most load then so would make sense. But as stated some time ago in this thread, the slip tables seem the be closer to root cause. The TC materials/QC definitely is on the right track too, since we have heard there are multiple revisions now.

As far as AFM not making a real difference, that depends on your driving habits. I have managed to take the a 25 mile average on the same strip of road (all highway). The difference was almost 6 mpgs (36.6mpg vs 30.4mpg). Most of the people claiming no improvement are driving stop and go, or urban areas which it definitely doesn't make a difference. On the highway at speed, the difference is significant. Is that worth it to some people? Probably not, but that's a matter of personal choice.
Absolutely...slip tables/TCM tune is also a discussion. GM must be aware because the 17 camaro TCM's have to be hacked to get to the tune which means removing it and sending it off...

On the highway speeds.....what RPM/MPH do you run with the 30mpg? If I can get that on my SS, that would be fine....Also....do you use an AFM disabler or just run it in manual?

Last edited by Klayman; 12-21-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Klayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:35 PM   #367
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klayman View Post
Absolutely...slip tables/TCM tune is also a discussion. GM must be aware because the 17 camaro TCM's have to be hacked to get to the tune which means removing it and sending it off...

On the highway speeds.....what RPM/MPH do you run with the 30mpg? If I can get that on my SS, that would be fine....
Cruise set on 64. Can't remember the RPM but it's under 2K for sure. That seems to be the sweet spot for gearing/aero. Climbing up to 75mph I see a solid 3-4mpg drop. And I can't drive 55!

Old 12-22-2017, 11:05 AM   #368
dray

Drives: 2017 2SS A8 NGM, 2012 Yamaha FZ8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
I'm curious why you guys are trying to find workarounds for an obvious TC defect LOL

Just get it fixed.
Glad you think it's funny. I went to the dealer and they didn't do anything about it. I'm busy, so I don't have time to spend a day there arguing with them and trying to recreate the issue for them.
dray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #369
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray View Post
Glad you think it's funny. I went to the dealer and they didn't do anything about it. I'm busy, so I don't have time to spend a day there arguing with them and trying to recreate the issue for them.
Cool, drive around the issue in your $40K car then

Dealer's had my car 3 weeks, and I'm very busy as well. It's their problem to fix and I'll be damned if I try to drive around it.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #370
CamaroFlyer

Drives: 2017 1LT V6
Another bad torque converter

Add one more car to the list, my 2017 V6 has the shuddering problem. I took it into the dealership about 2 weeks ago with 3600 miles on it. They test drove it and ordered a new torque converter. I haven't heard back from them yet.
CamaroFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:49 PM   #371
mike1964

Drives: 2017 1lt rs package
Same issue with Transmission Shudder

Hello, I just purchased a 2017 1lt v6 with a transmission shudder at rpms between 1,000 to 2,000. I noticed the issue within the first couple of weeks of ownership. I have 2,600 miles and will be taking it in at 5,000 miles. I want to be able to duplicate the problem for them but so far I cant seem to make it happen, its totally random. I have heard that they will do the three flush procedure, but will I need to show them the shudder or will they take my word for it? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Mike
mike1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:28 AM   #372
Wagnbat

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagnbat View Post
Mine started doing this just after 10k, just felt like a little bit of subtle warble/vibration... I'm at 12k now and it is clearly apparent that it is not normal and getting worse. Happens mostly in V4 when cruising at any highway/freeway speed in overdrive (7 or 8).

Just staying at one speed, over about 120 seconds will cause the vibration to start and then consistently grow until I change speed. Letting off the pedal or putting on the pedal ever so slightly is more than enough to get it to stop... For another minute or so, and then it's right back at it. Consistently changing gas-pedal depression on the highway prevents it from occurring.

I have an appointment for the middle of next week for Speedway Chevrolet to have at it.
Triple flush completed in 1 day, vibration/shudder is gone for now.
Wagnbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:33 AM   #373
SuperSound

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1964 View Post
Hello, I just purchased a 2017 1lt v6 with a transmission shudder at rpms between 1,000 to 2,000. I noticed the issue within the first couple of weeks of ownership. I have 2,600 miles and will be taking it in at 5,000 miles. I want to be able to duplicate the problem for them but so far I cant seem to make it happen, its totally random. I have heard that they will do the three flush procedure, but will I need to show them the shudder or will they take my word for it? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Mike
Either your dealer is very familiar with the shudder issue because they have worked several cases already, or they haven't in which case they will end up giving you the runaround. Best advice is to call them and see if they match the first case. If not, I would wait till you are able to reproduce it on demand so as to not waste your time.

My dealer was very familiar with the issue and had no trouble reproducing it, but I also waited until it was shuddering regularly.

Old 12-30-2017, 07:39 PM   #374
Wagnbat

Drives: 16 Mosaic Black 2SS
I have found that cruise control on a flat surface over 60mph recreated it quickly and often.
Wagnbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:58 PM   #375
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
The dealers aren't fixing the problems. They're kicking the can down the road. They're installing the same torque converters which will eventually have the same issue. Also, customer experiences have been varying from dealership to dealership with some jumping right on it while others play deaf, dumb, and blind to the issue and refuse to recognize the problem. Some of us have modded engines and/or exhausts to boot and dealer service centers get all bitchy about that even if you come in with a known issue. What you say is right, GM should just fix this shit without question but, the reality is that they can't even bring themselves to make this a recall issue. It's a service bulletin which has to be brought in and proven to be a problem. Half the time, unless it jumps up and bites their dick off, they can't find an issue. So, when you weigh out the fact that replacing the torque converter is only a temporary fix with the experiences of customers getting their car back only to be told the tech can't find a problem, it makes sense to find a permanent solution ourselves. You can play Billy Badass all day long but, that doesn't mean the dealership is going to replace your torque converter. They can deny you for any sort of stupid reason. I don't drive around the problem. I tuned the problem out in the software. And if I have any issue with the torque converter, I'll swap it out with an aftermarket one that I won't have to replace again in 8k miles and I'll get better performance to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
Cool, drive around the issue in your $40K car then

Dealer's had my car 3 weeks, and I'm very busy as well. It's their problem to fix and I'll be damned if I try to drive around it.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #376
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
AFM just exacerbates the problem, it doesn't cause it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSound View Post

2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:54 AM   #377
GMF

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Vote now in the "Ask AL" section to have this addressed.
http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=518611
GMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:12 PM   #378
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
I just sent a PM to everyone that posted on this thread asking them to vote. Spread the word.

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote