Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-06-2022, 11:36 AM   #1
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, 2004 Cobra
Smile Video: 174 MPH!!! Hendrick Motorsports Track Attack Fast Lap at Daytona International

174 MPH!!! Hendrick Motorsports Track Attack Fast Lap at Daytona International Speedway Road Course

Racing for ALS took the #324 Hendrick Motorsports Track Attack to the famous Daytona International Speedway Road Course and hit a new record top speed of 174 MPH! The event included night-time racing with fireworks. The car is a retired NASCAR chassis with a Camaro ZL1 body, powered by a Chevrolet 454 LSX engine with over 625 HP. Scott said, "Driving a fast car at high speeds at Daytona was a lifelong dream. Unfortunately, ALS kept my brother from being there with me." Racing for ALS has raised over $325,000 since 2018 to fund ALS research and help patients diagnosed with the disease. A big part of our mission is raising awareness. Please share, like, and subscribe.

For more information on the charity, hats, t-shirts, and donation info:
https://www.racingforals.com/

Car Information:
Hendrick Motorsports Track Attack SN TA-001
Camaro ZL1
NASCAR Chassis Formerly raced by Chase Elliot, William Byron, and Kasey Kahne. The chassis was purpose-built for Watkin's Glen and was last run there in 2018, was a backup car in 2019, and was acquired by Racing for ALS in 2020.
LSX 454 Engine 625 HP with a dry-sump oiling system
Goodyear Slicks

Aero – The aero package on the car is the largest that NASCAR ever used, meaning that our rear spoiler is a full 3.5 to 4" taller than the other Track Attack cars/standard packages! That is great for planting the rear when going up the climbing esses at VIR, but kills the top speed at Daytona. We would have been in the 180-190 mph range with less drag as we have the same horsepower as the Xfinity cars.

Safety – NASCAR level safety including a full cage, foam-filled crush panels protecting the cage, automatic fire suppression, no leak racing fuel cell, carbon fiber wrap-around seat (One of Dale Earnhardt Jr.'s former CF seat pans), 6-way harnesses, roof flaps to slow the car in a spin or to keep the car from taking flight.

Transmission – Race Tech (RTS) 6 speed Sequential
1st 2.720
2nd 1.933
3rd 1.560
4th 1.309
5th 1.096
6th .900
Final 3.45

More about Daytona and NASCAR:
Since opening in 1959, it has been the home of the Daytona 500, the most prestigious race in NASCAR, and its season-opening event. In addition to NASCAR, the track also hosts races of ARCA, AMA Superbike, IMSA, SCCA, and Motocross. The track features multiple layouts, including the primary 2.500 mi (4.023 km) high-speed tri-oval, a 3.560 mi (5.729 km) sports car course, a 2.950 mi (4.748 km) motorcycle course and a 1,320 ft (400 m) karting and motorcycle flat-track. The track's 180-acre (73 ha) infield includes the 29-acre (12 ha) Lake Lloyd, which has hosted powerboat racing.
The track was built in 1959 by NASCAR founder William "Bill" France Sr. to host racing held at the former Daytona Beach Road Course. His banked design permitted higher speeds and gave fans a better view of the cars. Lights were installed around the track in 1998. It is the third-largest single-lit outdoor sports facility. The speedway has been renovated four times, with the infield renovated in 2004 and the track repaved in 1978 and 2010. The track is 50 miles north of Orlando.
Old 02-06-2022, 05:28 PM   #2
pzoom

Drives: 2021 SS 1LE SHOCK
Just curious - would an off-the-showroom ZL1 or SS hit the same numbers or be close?

I realize this car in the video has a roll cage, safety stuff, etc. but just as a comparison.
pzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #3
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Great Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzoom View Post
Just curious - would an off-the-showroom ZL1 or SS hit the same numbers or be close?

I realize this car in the video has a roll cage, safety stuff, etc. but just as a comparison.

Great question. A fairly well modified ZL1 1LE was running a similar pace. The Track Attack is 3100 lbs without driver and is 530 RWHP with the highest down force package possible for the last gen NASCAR bodies. The rear spoiler is 4" higher than speedway cars. His MPH may have also been gear limited (he's bouncing off the rev limiter at 174). The car is really set up more for tracks like VIR, where it's done 1:55-1:56 with experienced drivers.

In reality, it is closer to a Busch car than a CUP car (850 HP).

This was also Scott L's first time at Daytona. He's a high skill level amateur with an SCCA TT Advanced Comp License.

I am only 1-2 seconds off his lap times at Carolina Motorsports Park in my stockish ZL1 with 1LE aero on 3R's.

The car is safer by a factor of 10x and has lower operating cost. It also gets 10x the attention of a street car.

I've been to Hendrick Motorsports a few times and their quality on every single aspect is phenomenal. Let me know if you want any other details. Thanks for watching.

Old 02-07-2022, 09:11 AM   #4
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
I'm just putting this out there: I used to bore/hone out the cylinders on the Nascar 454 engines years ago. Several several years ago. So I may be guilty of adding a few extra cubic inches here and there.

2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | Roto-Fab CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | LSA crankshaft conversion w/modified crank gear | LS1 thrust bearing | LS MSD Plug Wire Set | BTR Stage I Cam | ARP Rod Bolts | Delphi Lifter set | NGK LTR71X-11 spark plug set | DOD Delete | VVT Limiter | ECM, TCM & E85 | Retuned by: Justin L. | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq | Best 1/4 Time: 11.639
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Badmojo
aka BeastZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
I'm just putting this out there: I used to bore/hone out the cylinders on the Nascar 454 engines years ago. Several several years ago. So I may be guilty of adding a few extra cubic inches here and there.

Lol