Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
Yimetime

Drives: 11 BLK 2SS/RS
Where to find black quad tips?

I am looking at doing the 1LE diffuser swap on my 2011 SS along with quad tips. I have a black theme going and want black tips. Obviously I can find chrome tips easily, however I'd rather skip having to powder coat them. Does anyone know where I can find black quad tips? The ones that I found seem more applicable to trucks and SUV tips rather than our cars.

Thanks!
Old 04-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #2
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Buy some quad tips and paint them with high temp. acrylic?

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
Yimetime

Will that hold up, or are my better options going to be powder coating or ceramic coating?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #4
PROZ11

Drives: 2012 RS/2SS, 69 ProStreet Camaro
If prepped and painted correctly it would hold up fine. Engine or header paint could handle the heat. Obviously power coating or ceramic would be more durable.

But a quick Google search turned up a bunch of black dual tip options.. see link..

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...tips&FORM=AWIR

Old 04-05-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
hazy

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
It's probably not the greatest, but I had my motorcycle's exhaust PCd flat black, and after a while I had scraped the tips of the exhaust from leaning too much.

All I did to cover up the exposed metal was pick up a can of flat black BBQ grill paint. I hit it with a couple of coats, and it held up wonderfully...road debris, weather, etc...easy to touch up, too, if I took a turn at too great of a lean angle
hazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
No one will ever know.....

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleu...1169/203161184
Old 04-05-2016, 12:04 PM   #7
ytown87

Drives: C6 Corvette
exhaust tips don't get that hot. you could even use plasti dip. I use on mine and shoot flames out the back all the time and its held up just fine. If you want permanent just get some black high heat engine or brake paint
2008 C6 m6. Carbon creations front/rear carbon fiber wodebody fenders. Carbon fiber hood carbon fiber roof hoop carbon fiber zr1 extreme spoiler. NW 102mm tb. Ported intake manifold. Cometic .040 head gaskets. LG motorsports G6x3 cam. DSX flex fuel sensor. AEM methanol kit. Z06 brakes. Ebiach sway bars. ZR1 rep wheels and Nitto Invo tires. Monster stage 3 twin disc clutch. MGW short shifter. Corbeau race seats. Gforce race harnesses. SLP loudmouth 2 mufflers. Carbon fiber exhaust tips. RPM stage 4 transmission and Stage 3 rear diff. 3.73 gears. Vararam cai. Kooks 1 7/8 headers and x-pipe.
ytown87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:08 PM   #8
Yimetime

thanks for the input guys!, now I just need to mull over pulling the trigger on the diffuser and tips...most likely would just go chrome and paint them myself, i can't find any 3 inch inlet 4 inch outlet dual tips in black that would work
Old 04-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ytown87 View Post
exhaust tips don't get that hot. you could even use plasti dip. I use on mine and shoot flames out the back all the time and its held up just fine. If you want permanent just get some black high heat engine or brake paint
Know of a few people who used plasti dip with no problems; after 6-12 months, still look as good as the day they were 'dipped'
Old 04-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
MoeFaux

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
I used the matte version of this spray paint on my exhaust ($4 at Lowe's) I am really happy with the end result. Its a stock exhaust so I really didn't have anything to lose.
MoeFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yimetime View Post
thanks for the input guys!, now I just need to mull over pulling the trigger on the diffuser and tips...most likely would just go chrome and paint them myself, i can't find any 3 inch inlet 4 inch outlet dual tips in black that would work
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cs...1blk/overview/

no picture, but same as this one in black

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cse-14031/overview/
Old 04-05-2016, 01:50 PM   #12
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeFaux View Post
I used the matte version of this spray paint on my exhaust ($4 at Lowe's) I am really happy with the end result. Its a stock exhaust so I really didn't have anything to lose.
That looks good.

I don't know why, but it seems your exhaust tips are very far back. Like they don't even clear the diffuser. Is that the way they all are 2014+ with that style of diffuser?
Old 04-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #13
MoeFaux

Drives: 2015 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stacy View Post
That looks good.

I don't know why, but it seems your exhaust tips are very far back. Like they don't even clear the diffuser. Is that the way they all are 2014+ with that style of diffuser?
I picked up a free 2010 ls3 stock cat back and put it on my 2015 1ls. It was free so I figured I would try it first, and if I hated it I'll replace it with an axleback. So far I like it and I'll probably run it for a while until I get the itch to change something.
MoeFaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:05 PM   #14
solizaaron18

Drives: Camaro SS 2014
I think you should do power coat. Mine came out amazing!!
Attached Images

solizaaron18 is offline   Reply With Quote