Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
saxdad

Drives: SRT4
Saw One

I've been periodically driving to my local Chevy dealer hoping to check out a new Camaro. They finally got one(blue v6). My first impression was not that it looked identical to the previous generation but that it looks really sleek and slim compared to the last gengen. That was my biggest turnoff with the last generation. It just always seemed too cartoonish (maybe bumblebee stuck that thought in my head) and just too bloated and bulky looking. This new one just looks much better proportioned. About the only think I don't like is the narrow windows. It's not even from the perspective of visibility issues. I just think it almost looks like too much metal on the sides and not enough glass. I know many like the small slit look for the windows. That's probably the only thing that makes the car a little off to me. As far as the visibility goes, that doesn't bother me. I sat in a 2014 and didn't think visibility was that bad. I did used to daily drive a car with a wall of subs though, so driving with side mirrors only was necessary.

Today I'm going to check out the interior (they were closed last night when I saw it). I think my wife actually likes the newer camaros too, so that's a plus. I'd love to own one American "muscle car" before I get too old and before gas prices go into the stratosphere. I was close to owning a mustang gt back in 05 when the new design came out. I was employed by Citi at the time and was eligible for employee pricing from Ford. My hometown dealer just got one in and would not do the employee pricing saying they just got it and wouldn't sell for less than MSRP. That same day I went and bough a Neon SRT-4 at invoice and never looked back. That was a fun car and sounded awesome with a full 3" exhaust. I got rid of that for an Outback XT when we had our daughter. I eventually got a Caliber SRT4 which I drive now. I'm just tired of high powered front wheel drive cars. I told myself I would never own another high power fwd after owning a Lumina Z34 (not really that fast... Lol) and my Neon SRT-4, but here I am with another one. It's definitely time for RWD or AWD.

I am intrigued by the new Focus RS too, but I really want that American V8 sound once in my life. The GT350 is pretty sweet too, but it seems more built for the track than the Camaro. I'm thinking it might feel sluggish around town with its high redline and gearing compared to the Camaro.

I really am leaning toward a Camaro.
saxdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #2
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxdad View Post
I've been periodically driving to my local Chevy dealer hoping to check out a new Camaro. They finally got one(blue v6). My first impression was not that it looked identical to the previous generation but that it looks really sleek and slim compared to the last gengen. That was my biggest turnoff with the last generation. It just always seemed too cartoonish (maybe bumblebee stuck that thought in my head) and just too bloated and bulky looking. This new one just looks much better proportioned. About the only think I don't like is the narrow windows. It's not even from the perspective of visibility issues. I just think it almost looks like too much metal on the sides and not enough glass. I know many like the small slit look for the windows. That's probably the only thing that makes the car a little off to me. As far as the visibility goes, that doesn't bother me. I sat in a 2014 and didn't think visibility was that bad. I did used to daily drive a car with a wall of subs though, so driving with side mirrors only was necessary.

Today I'm going to check out the interior (they were closed last night when I saw it). I think my wife actually likes the newer camaros too, so that's a plus. I'd love to own one American "muscle car" before I get too old and before gas prices go into the stratosphere. I was close to owning a mustang gt back in 05 when the new design came out. I was employed by Citi at the time and was eligible for employee pricing from Ford. My hometown dealer just got one in and would not do the employee pricing saying they just got it and wouldn't sell for less than MSRP. That same day I went and bough a Neon SRT-4 at invoice and never looked back. That was a fun car and sounded awesome with a full 3" exhaust. I got rid of that for an Outback XT when we had our daughter. I eventually got a Caliber SRT4 which I drive now. I'm just tired of high powered front wheel drive cars. I told myself I would never own another high power fwd after owning a Lumina Z34 (not really that fast... Lol) and my Neon SRT-4, but here I am with another one. It's definitely time for RWD or AWD.

I am intrigued by the new Focus RS too, but I really want that American V8 sound once in my life. The GT350 is pretty sweet too, but it seems more built for the track than the Camaro. I'm thinking it might feel sluggish around town with its high redline and gearing compared to the Camaro.

I really am leaning toward a Camaro.
I agree with you about the narrow windows. Some people think it adds to the aggressive look of the Camaro (which it does), while some think it has a slab-sided appearance to it when viewing from the side.

Chevy could have widened the windows a few inches without sacrificing any aggressive look of the car, IMHO. Not a complaint, just an observation.
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:03 PM   #3
saxdad

I just got back from checking out the interior. After reading how small the rear seats are, I had concerns but didn't think much of it because it comes with the territory in this type of car. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed in the rear seat. I'm only about 5'10", or slightly under, and with the front seat comfortable, I would feel bad for even a child to sit behind me. I sat back there and there is zero head room. I would venture to guess someone even 5'5" might touch their head on the ceiling.

I get it's a camaro, but this is to the point of being pointless to even have a back seat. I told the sales guy the Camaro is becoming very much like the Corvette including zero back seat. I have 2 kids (8 and 4) and thought the back seat would at least be feasible for them. There is no way it would be. I wouldn't even do it for quick trips.

It's too bad I haven't even driven one yet, but I'm probably going to have to check this off my list already. If I wanted a vette engine with vette sized interior, I'd just buy a vette. With kids I want a daily driver they can reasonably ride in too. The Camaro is not that car for me. It looks like a Focus RS or Mustang will be in my future. The mustang rear seat is much more reasonable for a coupe.
Old 12-19-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
Zultain7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxdad View Post
I just got back from checking out the interior. After reading how small the rear seats are, I had concerns but didn't think much of it because it comes with the territory in this type of car. Unfortunately, I was extremely disappointed in the rear seat. I'm only about 5'10", or slightly under, and with the front seat comfortable, I would feel bad for even a child to sit behind me. I sat back there and there is zero head room. I would venture to guess someone even 5'5" might touch their head on the ceiling.

I get it's a camaro, but this is to the point of being pointless to even have a back seat. I told the sales guy the Camaro is becoming very much like the Corvette including zero back seat. I have 2 kids (8 and 4) and thought the back seat would at least be feasible for them. There is no way it would be. I wouldn't even do it for quick trips.

It's too bad I haven't even driven one yet, but I'm probably going to have to check this off my list already. If I wanted a vette engine with vette sized interior, I'd just buy a vette. With kids I want a daily driver they can reasonably ride in too. The Camaro is not that car for me. It looks like a Focus RS or Mustang will be in my future. The mustang rear seat is much more reasonable for a coupe.
If you're looking for room in the back, the mustang is not much better than the Camaro. I would look into the Challenger for that. My younger brother and I went to look at one for himself awhile back. He's 5'11 and I'm 6' and I was able to sit behind him and have room to spare.
3000 Status on 9/3
3300 Status on 10/8
3400 Status on 10/9
3800 Status on 10/19
Delivery 12/28
Zultain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 03:35 PM   #5
saxdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zultain7 View Post
If you're looking for room in the back, the mustang is not much better than the Camaro. I would look into the Challenger for that. My younger brother and I went to look at one for himself awhile back. He's 5'11 and I'm 6' and I was able to sit behind him and have room to spare.
I agree with you the challenger is the most reasonable for back seat room. It's just too heavy. Even the mustang felt big to me the way it drove (15 gt) I'm used to the small turbo 4s that feel more tossible and just feel much lighter (probably because they are ☺). I thought the alpha platform would alleviate a lot of the boat-like feeling. It probably has but at the expense of even less interior room than the previous generation. The previous gen camaro I drove actually didn't drive like as large of a car as it is. It sounds like the gt350 has improved the soft, floaty feeling of the gt. The mustang backseat didn't feel even close to as crammed as the new Camaro.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
I don't like the direction they're going.. Gen7 is going to be another Corvette.
If you have a back seat, make it usable.
Someone said it already, the gen6 back seat is basically an upholstered shelf.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
saxdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I don't like the direction they're going.. Gen7 is going to be another Corvette.
If you have a back seat, make it usable.
Someone said it already, the gen6 back seat is basically an upholstered shelf.
I wholeheartedly agree. It makes zero sense to have a backseat if it's not at least a little functional for the intended purpose (seating for anyone other than an amputee). I doubt a rear facing baby seat would even fit.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:06 AM   #8
saxdad

UPDATE - My local dealer got a 2SS in, so I though I'd go check it out to see how it compared to the V6 model I had previously looked at.

Bottom line - I think I was too quick to automatically scratch a '16 Camaro off my list. The first one I looked at was outside and it was cold so I didn't play around with seating too much. Spending some more time with this SS(parked in a warm showroom), I can say that with some better adjustment of the seats kids would be OK for cruising around or even shorter trips out of town. I'm about 5'10" and with my knees a little bent in the front seating position I could actually give myself decent leg room behind myself. Headroom on the other hand. LOL! So I guess what I'm trying to say is the back is doable and even decent for kids or small adults. My kids have a few years before they'd be too big - then I'll make them save for their own car.

Materials are better in the 2SS, but I was surprised the dash is hard plastic. There are soft touch materials in all the right spots but still some more hard plastic than I expected. For the price increases American cars are starting to demand the interior quality could get a little better yet. American brands have come a long way, but the price increases are slightly outpacing the overall quality and finish improvements that should be expected. The interiors are leaps and bounds better than what they used to be. I'm just saying there is room for even more improvement.

I'm actually back and forth on getting one more fun car before gas prices go crazy or invest in an electric car like the Volt or Bolt. I know, very odd cross shopping but I'm really considering where things could be economically in a couple years. My thinking at the moment is electric will only get better and have more options in a few years, so go for the American V8 at the peak of its technology now and get a better electric car down the road.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #9
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zultain7 View Post
This. At 5'9 I sat in the backseat of a 2015 Mustang and it sucked. I couldn't sit behind the driver because there was NO leg room. So I sat behind the smaller person in the passenger seat and even then was still crammed. I had to tilt my head so I wouldn't hit the ceiling. Imagine doing that for 5 hours on your way to Vegas.