Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
dlions20

Drives: cobalt
Common Sense Question On release?

Hello , I'm particularly new here so please forgive me for my ignorance.

I'm openly honest with the fact I have never been in the situation of waiting for a new model year to come out and the process behind it.

With that said , using common sense and common sense only, I cant find any logical reason of releasing the camaro in the late fall/winter.

I get that the range of when new model year cars comes out varies but this isn't any car.

I feel like this car more than any other is the ideal summer car , and just don't see why Gm thinks so many people are going to wait for the snow to buy a brand new camaro.

Someone please enlighten me on this logic? ( I should also point out that this is what ive read in terms of a release date so if it should be expected sooner , then obviously this is wrong all together).

Thanks
dlions20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
In my opinion. production would be easier to start when demand is low. Gets everybody in the groove of things, any major problems won't delay things as much as a summer release. Just thoughts off the top of my head. None are probably right.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:12 PM   #3
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlions20 View Post
Hello , I'm particularly new here so please forgive me for my ignorance.

I'm openly honest with the fact I have never been in the situation of waiting for a new model year to come out and the process behind it.

With that said , using common sense and common sense only, I cant find any logical reason of releasing the camaro in the late fall/winter.

I get that the range of when new model year cars comes out varies but this isn't any car.

I feel like this car more than any other is the ideal summer car , and just don't see why Gm thinks so many people are going to wait for the snow to buy a brand new camaro.

Someone please enlighten me on this logic? ( I should also point out that this is what ive read in terms of a release date so if it should be expected sooner , then obviously this is wrong all together).

Thanks
That part in bold is quite the assumption on your part. What if they understand, like you & everyone else, that demand for such cars is at its lowest in the winter?

For cars like the Camaro there is usually overwhelming initial demand. Backlogs of several months are not uncommon.

On top of that, production takes a few weeks to a couple months to get into full swing. More quality control checks, workers don't yet know the most efficient way to build the car, etc.

Combining those three things together, it makes most sense to me to release the Camaro in the winter when demand is at a minimum. That way the southern states & people who absolutely need to be the first on the block to have one get theirs first. By the time the people in the northern areas are ready for a car, the production has fully ramped up. It spreads out the demand to more closely match production capacity.

Even then, there will still probably be a sizeable backlog. Which is another reason to do it in the winter rather than the summer. A few month wait from late winter puts it at an early summer delivery -unfortunate, but not too bad. A few month wait from early summer results in an early fall delivery -just in time to think about putting it away for the winter.

Of course it could simply be that due to a number of factors beyond their control, fall of 2015 is the earliest possible date that GM could start building 6th gen Camaros.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Also, there are some large markets that don't really need to wait for summer to drive the car.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:04 AM   #5
Clearly_Canadian

Drives: 2017 2SS Camaro
Don't forget "winter" does not exists in a lot of places in North America alone. Even in Vancouver, BC canada. We didn't even see any snow last year.
Clearly_Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 01:45 AM   #6
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Also, the Camaro sells very well in California, Texas and Florida... Which never have winters lol.

2012 Camaro SS IOM "TigreSS"
Borla "S" Catback
C.A.I. Intake
VMax Ported TB
JRE Tune
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Annnnnd by the time Spring hits, production will have been fully ramped up and they will be ready to get a Camaro into every needy enthusiasts driveway.

Instead of looking at this as being LATE, look at is as being EARLY.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:06 AM   #8
Thor142

Drives: 2014 2LS (traded in) 2015 1SS 1LE
Plus I drive my Camaro in the winter. I was actually surprised how well it handled in light snow. It gets undercoated anyway and salt washes off.
Thor142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #9
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
I bought my Convertible in late November in NC. I was driving that thing at 5 a.m. in 38 degree weather with the top down most of the winter!

Weather is definitely not a factor for me....
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #10
cwl011

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
For me if I want the car for next March my dealer said to expect a 8-12 week grace period before the car will be delivered. I would have to order it in December or January. So i am glad they are releasing it in November and I am guessing the guy who started this post is above the Mason Dixon and has a winter.
cwl011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Mud Z06

Drives: Car
Makes it easier to avoid the release craziness. Hibernate over the winter (depending on where you live) then get your order in during the Spring/Summer. Maybe by then there might be a few on the lots to check out.
Mud Z06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:30 AM   #12
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by brAnd7onX View Post
Also, the Camaro sells very well in California, Texas and Florida... Which never have winters lol.
You names the three largest car culture areas... Everything sells well there.