Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Broken valve spring = no engine damage...possible?

So the dealer told me that the valve spring in my LS3 broke on cylinder #8. He said that it was easy and quick to fix because the inner valve spring held the valve so that it wouldn't drop into the chamber. He said that there was no damage at all besides having to replace the valve spring.

I didn't know LS3 came with dual valve springs....or was he pulling me leg? What I'm most afraid of is that there was indeed damage but they just did a quick job on it and replaced the springs without replacing the piston or head. Also I'm afraid that the chamber was damaged to the point where it wouldn't hold pressure well.

So is it possible? If so...how likely?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
I'm going to call there is no way that IF a valve spring broke and you drove the car with a broken valve spring, that there is NO internal damage. I would get it in writing that the service manager says there is no damage, etc etc. Then take it to another shop and have them look at it. If they find damage then its the service manager's problem and his job on the line.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Get them to do a leak down test on all cylinders, and if you have more loss in that cylinder he is full of it.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #4
Nessal

That's what I thought too. He insisted on it and repeated it twice when I questioned him about it. Damn it now I'm all worried about the car. But why would he lie to me though? I still have the paperwork and it shows that it's a broken valve spring in cylinder #8 and the only parts on the list that they needed to fix it was the spring, seal kit, and gasket.

I'm tempted to bring it to a shop and have them pull the head to confirm...but I don't know how much they would charge for that. Is there any way to check besides pulling the head? I know in my other cars, I can pull the plugs and see right into the chamber. But it's kind of hard doing that on the LS3 since the plugs aren't on top of the engine.

But why would they have to lie about it though? I mean...the car only has 60 miles on it so it's still covered under warranty. If anything, they would WANT to replace the whole engine to make more money...
Old 07-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #5
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Get them to do a leak down test on all cylinders, and if you have more loss in that cylinder he is full of it.

If he is full of S... I would think that he would lie about the leak down test being good as well. Is there a cost effect way for me to do it myself? How about a compression test? My biggest worry is that the chamber walls are scored up so that it will leak. I would think that a scored chamber would be the most costly for me to replace.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
They should have an inspection camera that can look through the spark plug hole to see any damage.
Like this one
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...u=00981044000P
Old 07-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #7
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Tell him you want to see the print out of the leak down test. He can't fake that.
Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #8
coolman

I would say your fine if the car runs okay. If the valve did drop and smack the piston you would know for sure. It is possible to have happen what the dealer claims. I've had this very thing happen on some of my drag cars with dual and triple springs.
coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #9
Nessal

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolman View Post
I would say your fine if the car runs okay. If the valve did drop and smack the piston you would know for sure. It is possible to have happen what the dealer claims. I've had this very thing happen on some of my drag cars with dual and triple springs.

Is it possible to drive for another 20 miles that way and not have it hit?
Old 07-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
Cam 427

Drives: 2010 2SS
Dual valve springs? Doubt it. Go to the parts department and have them print a picture of the valve spring intallation and part numbers. I wouldn't drive it, the spring and retainer may come apart and cause alot more damage.
Cam 427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Even with double valve springs if you keep driving it pieces of that valve spring if it moves around could damage other components in the head...
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #12
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
If the valve hit the piston, it would no longer seal.... would have been impossible to put a new spring on it using compressed air to hold up the valve. Since they replaced the spring without removing the head, I'll bet the valve is fine.

I've replaced broken valve springs before with no other damage. Depends on where it breaks at, and if the keepers come off.... I've seen them where they break real high up and and don't drop down much, but leak enough to cause a misfire and valvetrain noise. Put the compressed air to it and it seals perfect to get a new spring on - then do a leak down and it's perfect... good to go.

I've never seen a valve that hit the piston and you didn't need to tear it down to fix. It will be quite obvious it's screwed up if it did hit. When you pressurize the cylinder to put the new spring on, if the valve is all the way up, sealing perfectly, you can spin it and there is no wobbling.... it's more than likely just fine.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #13
Nessal

Good to know. I was going to take it to a local shop and have them pull the head to check. Not sure how much they would charge. But in this case I'll probably put it off.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #14
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Good to know. I was going to take it to a local shop and have them pull the head to check. Not sure how much they would charge. But in this case I'll probably put it off.
Why are you not taking it to the dealer? Did I miss something? Was your warranty voided?
I mean you have a 5year 100,000 mile warranty, and you should not have to pay for anything, even if it has damaged the piston or cylinder.....