Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 10-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #1
dcplus14

Drives: '12 Camaro 2SS/RS/Hurst
CEL - Evap Emissions - P0442

Hey everyone, I am just creating this to document my experience and hopefully help out anyone else who comes across this.

Took the car in this morning to diagnose a Check Engine Light issue, my car only has 13k on it, 2012 SS manual.

Car was diagnosed as follows, I am copy/pasting from service report:

"SCANNED VEHICLE WITH TECH II, DTC P0442 STORED. PERFORMED EVAP SYSTEM TEST. SYSTEM LEAKING VACUUM. PERFORMED EVAP SYSTEM SMOKE TEST. LEAK FROM EVAP VENT SOLENOID. REPLACED EVAP VENT SOLENOID. CLEARED DTC AND RETESTED SYSTEM, LEAK CORRECTED. L0616 2.8 TECH 2978

FP NUMBER = 22865590; DESCRIPTION = VALVE 3.130"

Hope this helps anyone, seems like a smoke test was needed to discover the issue. I was semi concerned I would get some flack from the dealer about the catch can installed. Lucky enough nothing of the sort, I would never have figured this one out on my own if I was out of warranty.

Good luck...thanks for reading.
[AAC DRL LED's, AAC LED's for trunk, cabin, license plate, CAI Intake, RX Catch Can, Skip shift eliminator, Pedders Sub-Frame Inserts, Pedders Radius Rod Inserts, Pedders Rack & Pinion Bushing, 1LE front and rear sway bars]

Last edited by dcplus14; 10-03-2012 at 01:20 PM.
dcplus14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Bounty600

Drives: 1989 Firebird GTA, 2012 Camaro SS
Was everything covered under warranty? I seem to be having the same problem with my black ss haha
Bounty600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounty600 View Post
Was everything covered under warranty? I seem to be having the same problem with my black ss haha
We apologize for the frustrations. Have you been to the dealership to see if they can diagnose your vehicle and cover it? It sounds like you may be under the parameters of the Bumper-to-Bumper warranty. Please let us know the outcome.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 11-29-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
Bounty600

Drives: 1989 Firebird GTA, 2012 Camaro SS
I have, the past two times theyve said it was the gas cap and they've reset the CPU. I don't think it is though because it's come on during periods in which I haven't touched the gas cap for days ... If it were the same problem as above, would it be covered ?
Bounty600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #5
Camaro588

Drives: 2012 camaro LS
mine is in right now for the same issues, same exact reasons stated above mine is a 2012 V6, I posted this up 2 weeks ago.....funny that I was checking to see if anyone else had this same issue. mine has the same exact milage

Last edited by Camaro588; 11-30-2012 at 07:05 AM. Reason: addition
Camaro588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 AM   #6
Camaro588

Quote:
I have, the past two times theyve said it was the gas cap and they've reset the CPU. I don't think it is though because it's come on during periods in which I haven't touched the gas cap for days ... If it were the same problem as above, would it be covered ?
they said the same thing did smoke test 2nd time and found leak in evap system near gas tank
Old 11-30-2012, 07:11 AM   #7
Camaro588

Quote:
sorry, but yes it was covered. Forgot to mention that. I dropped it off this morning, we will see how long it will take them to replace vent. Hopefully that wont run into issues again, and I will have to bring it back for the fourth time!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
whats funny is the evap vent solenoid is supposed to leak until you turn it on in a seperate test,if you do a smoke test without turning the vent solenoid on you will get smoke from it and sometimes it looks like its coming from the gas tank,gm evap leaks have a habit of being bad fuel tank pressure sensors but who knows
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #9
Camaro588

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
whats funny is the evap vent solenoid is supposed to leak until you turn it on in a seperate test,if you do a smoke test without turning the vent solenoid on you will get smoke from it and sometimes it looks like its coming from the gas tank,gm evap leaks have a habit of being bad fuel tank pressure sensors but who knows
good to know,I will point that out if i get the same CEL again. Drove it now for 2 days no light yet. Funny thing is I noticed the car was idling around 500 rpm before fix, now its up too a grand. Also I noticed better throttle response, I've been told that it has nothing to do with performance; Something has def. changed though, dont know could just be my but dyno. Anyone else notice a change that had the leaking vent replaced, or is it just me.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:44 PM   #10
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
yea should not change performance or runablity,wonder if they did any flash to pcm while it was there,sometimes they will and not tell you since its a covered service,anyways hopefully no more check engine light
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:41 PM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro588 View Post
sorry, but yes it was covered. Forgot to mention that. I dropped it off this morning, we will see how long it will take them to replace vent. Hopefully that wont run into issues again, and I will have to bring it back for the fourth time!
Camaro588,

It is great to hear everything was covered under warranty! Let us know any questions you may have!

Brandon
Old 02-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
larmelev

Drives: 2012 Victory red ls
my cel is on now for the second time with p0442 code. It only seems to happen if I let the fuel level get down really low. Last time I took it in they told me it was a loose gas cap and could not find a leak.
larmelev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Originally Posted by larmelev View Post
my cel is on now for the second time with p0442 code. It only seems to happen if I let the fuel level get down really low. Last time I took it in they told me it was a loose gas cap and could not find a leak.

We apologize for the frustrations! let us know what the dealership was able to do for you this time around.

Brandon
Old 03-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
larmelev

Drives: 2012 Victory red ls
I had the exact same problem, low fuel level set code P0442. The second time I took the car in I left the fuel level low and they found the leak. They replaced the Evaporative Emission Canister Vent Solenoid Valve Part #22865590 and turned off the light. Hopefully that solved the problem.
larmelev is offline   Reply With Quote