Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
xstriker

Drives: 2010 V8 Camaro
Car Won't Start / Stuck in Park

So, here's what happened: I was on my way home from getting some dinner and I heard a loud clunk coming from my car. For a second, I was afraid that I had hit something. I looked in the rear view mirror and there was nothing in the road, so I just kept driving normally.

When I got home, I pulled into my garage as normal and I noticed something weird with my gear selector: I could just slide it up toward park without having to push the backside of the knob in. When I got the car in park, I took my foot off the break and realized something - that my car wasn't REALLY in park. My car started to edge farther into my garage.

At this point, I was freaking out. So, I put the e-brake on and looked around my car to make sure nothing had popped out of the underside of my car - mainly because I didn't know WHAT to do. Once I did that, I got back in the car and turned off the ignition.

Now, I've got another problem: the car won't start at all. When I open the door, the door "dings" about four times and then stops. When I try to turn the ignition, everything just "goes off" and the only light that pops up on my instrument panel is the check engine light. However, when I just turn the car on, everything works - including the radio and vents. There are no flashing security lights either to make me think that the security system has locked me out.

Any help would be appreciated! It seems I have one serious problem that has now led to another problem!
xstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
spacedriver

Drives: 2011 ss silver black strips 6 speed
Sounds like its not shifting into park so your still in drive that's why car won't start I would get it towed to dealer .
spacedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
xstriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedriver View Post
Sounds like its not shifting into park so your still in drive that's why car won't start I would get it towed to dealer .
Well, when I take off the e-brake, I can push the car in both directions. It's like the car is stuck in neutral.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Or drive. You can still push an auto in drive. I'm guessing it is just the shifter linkage. Could be a tranny issue though.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #5
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstriker View Post
So, here's what happened: I was on my way home from getting some dinner and I heard a loud clunk coming from my car. For a second, I was afraid that I had hit something. I looked in the rear view mirror and there was nothing in the road, so I just kept driving normally.

When I got home, I pulled into my garage as normal and I noticed something weird with my gear selector: I could just slide it up toward park without having to push the backside of the knob in. When I got the car in park, I took my foot off the break and realized something - that my car wasn't REALLY in park. My car started to edge farther into my garage.

At this point, I was freaking out. So, I put the e-brake on and looked around my car to make sure nothing had popped out of the underside of my car - mainly because I didn't know WHAT to do. Once I did that, I got back in the car and turned off the ignition.

Now, I've got another problem: the car won't start at all. When I open the door, the door "dings" about four times and then stops. When I try to turn the ignition, everything just "goes off" and the only light that pops up on my instrument panel is the check engine light. However, when I just turn the car on, everything works - including the radio and vents. There are no flashing security lights either to make me think that the security system has locked me out.

Any help would be appreciated! It seems I have one serious problem that has now led to another problem!
xstriker,

Very sorry to hear about the concerns with your vehicle not starting. Did you need assistance with getting your vehicle towed into a dealer? What options have you considered?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-28-2013, 10:10 PM   #6
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhe64 View Post
Or drive. You can still push an auto in drive. I'm guessing it is just the shifter linkage. Could be a tranny issue though.
That what it sounds like. Shifter linkage broke and the car is stuck in Drive which is why it won't start. Have it towed to a dealer if it's under warranty. Should be an easy fix.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #7
xstriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
xstriker,

Very sorry to hear about the concerns with your vehicle not starting. Did you need assistance with getting your vehicle towed into a dealer? What options have you considered?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I actually contacted my local dealer and they set me up with GM Roadside Assistance to have my car towed from my house to their shop. I'm haven't heard anything back yet, but I didn't think I would since it only got there Friday morning.

I'm curious about this shifter linkage though. Is that covered under the powertrain warranty?
Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #8
xstriker

Quote:
I actually contacted my local dealer and they set me up with GM Roadside Assistance to have my car towed from my house to their shop. I'm haven't heard anything back yet, but I didn't think I would since it only got there Friday morning.

I'm curious about this shifter linkage though. Is that covered under the powertrain warranty?
Just heard from my dealer. Apparently it's fixed and my car is "ready to go."

It was the linkage and they said my total is $198. Guess that answers my question about it being covered by the warranty.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
The linkage I believe is considered a wear and tear item since the cable will stretch. Kind of like a fan belt is hooked to the engine but is not covered under the drivetrain warranty.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Hello xstriker,

I just got in and saw your reply. I'm glad that you spoke to the dealership. As mentioned, the shifter linkage is not covered by your powertrain warranty. What's the latest on the diagnosis?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 07-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
45thCamaro

Drives: 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary RS
This just happened on my 04 cavalier. I thought I hit something, or my exhaust had fallen off, I had been trying to fix my exhaust earlier that day. I stopped the car, and tried to shift into park to get out and take a look. I noticed when I shifter, my car was still moving and the shifter felt as if it had no resistance on it. Free moving if you will.

Called AAA had my car towed to my house, looked up o YouTube and found a video of how to manually put your car in park from inside the engine bay. Started the car, put the e brake on, and shifted to drive. Too kit to a local guy and he had to order the part from Chevy. 295 to have it fixed.
45thCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
xstriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hello xstriker,

I just got in and saw your reply. I'm glad that you spoke to the dealership. As mentioned, the shifter linkage is not covered by your powertrain warranty. What's the latest on the diagnosis?

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
My dealer fixed it for me. I picked my car up yesterday.

It cost $180 for them to fix the linkage.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #13
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
My dealer fixed it for me. I picked my car up yesterday.

It cost $180 for them to fix the linkage.
If I may, why was it not covered under bumper to bumper? Or are wear and tear items exempt from bumper to bumper?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:45 AM   #14
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
If I may, why was it not covered under bumper to bumper? Or are wear and tear items exempt from bumper to bumper?
Thats what I was thinking,it should be covered under Bumper to Bumper.

Maybe the dealers double dipping.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote