Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 10-07-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
dplakosh

Drives: none...yet
Post Should I make the trade?

I have someone willing to trade me a 68 RS coupe for my 02 Mustang GT convertible with 85k miles. The Camaro has had almost all of the sheet metal replaced. Front clip is all new. doors, quarters, trunk lid, trunk pan, floor pans have all been replaced. Car comes with a numbers matching 327 engine and powerglide transmission. Neither the engine or transmission are installed in the car currently. The interior has been completely removed from the car as well. The car has been converted to have front and rear disc brakes. No glass is currently installed in the car. The owner has boxes of many parts laying on pallets in his garage.

dplakosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
If you have another car to drive in the meantime, I would.
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
dplakosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SLVRBULIT View Post
If you have another car to drive in the meantime, I would.
Haha I have 3 other cars that I can drive. I have just been having trouble figuring out what that camaro would be worth in the condition it is in. These cars seem to sell all over the place from what I have seen online.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
If I were you, I would do it if you have the time, and money to finish it. Its one of those cars that will always catch attention, and will always be highly desirable.

With that being said, I don't think it is worth that much in its current condition, if your looking to make a profit, I'd avoid it.
Look up the going rate for a mustang in similar condition as yours, and decide if its worth it to you, definitely consider the time and money it will take to get this camaro looking and running good again. Depending on what all it needs, and what you can't do by yourself, this could turn into a money pit fast.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:25 AM   #5
dplakosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mst504 View Post
If I were you, I would do it if you have the time, and money to finish it. Its one of those cars that will always catch attention, and will always be highly desirable.

With that being said, I don't think it is worth that much in its current condition, if your looking to make a profit, I'd avoid it.
Look up the going rate for a mustang in similar condition as yours, and decide if its worth it to you, definitely consider the time and money it will take to get this camaro looking and running good again. Depending on what all it needs, and what you can't do by yourself, this could turn into a money pit fast.
I guess this falls under what much is considered to be. I know my car is worth between 7-8k the way it sits. I have been trying to see what people are paying for camaros on eBay to get a ballpark value on the car. They are all over the place though. I don't want to give him my car if this is only worth 5k.

I'm by no means trying to find a car that I can flip for a profit. I know I can do most of the work. I just want something that is a good project. I won't say that I'll be keeping the car forever, but I do plan to hold onto it for a while.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
If you have never gone through the process of restoring a car, you're in for quite a shock. Looking at this car, if you do everything yourself, you are easily going into this car for another 25-30k. At that point, you are better off selling your Mustang and taking the money and putting it towards a 1st gen that is already restored.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
LStick

Drives: 2021 Shadow Gray 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHorse13 View Post
If you have never gone through the process of restoring a car, you're in for quite a shock. Looking at this car, if you do everything yourself, you are easily going into this car for another 25-30k. At that point, you are better off selling your Mustang and taking the money and putting it towards a 1st gen that is already restored.
If its a back yard resto- even worse, I've seen cars with panels put on that arean't lined up correctly, where the car would never be able to be put back together again stock.
LStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #8
dplakosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LStick View Post
If its a back yard resto- even worse, I've seen cars with panels put on that arean't lined up correctly, where the car would never be able to be put back together again stock.
Thanks for throwing some figures to me. That answered some of the other questions I was having. I didn't know what j was really getting in money wise to restore the car. An older guy I know said that he thought about 20k total.

I've never restored a car but I'm also but under the impression that this is going to be super easy by any means. The shock will be in what I'm spending money on I guess if I do it.

One of my worries was on the paneling because i dont know how to identify if the quarters are on correct just by looking at it. I wouldn't consider the guy working on this to be a back yard mechanic. He has quite a large garage, bigger than a lot of dealerships have, with a paintbooth and stuff. But still you never know until things won't line up
Old 10-09-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
The body work and paint on that car alone is going to ramp you up north of 10k. This assumes that there are no hidden surprises. You are not getting away with only 20k into this project.

Many people believe that restoring a car works the way it does on (insert fake car show on cable TV here). I'm telling you, it's nothing like that, especially when doing it alone and for the first time.

You can also look at this poor guy who dropped 84k into his restoration. It may give you some clarity into what you're considering.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=369050
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #10
itsadryheat79

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE (2)79Z28 72RS 67SS 69Z
Send a message via Yahoo to itsadryheat79
Since this is you first restoration you should take a step back and be realistic.
I have seen so many craigslist deals that were projects someone ultimately gave up on.

This project looks like it might fit that .... life happened, broken dream theme.

Some big questions:
1) Do you have enough space to store the car and the time to work on it?
2) Does your magnificent other support you?
3) Do you have the $funds to support a one or two year $20K+ project?
4) Is this a priority or just seems like a good deal?

My suggestion is to get a nice running project and keep it running while you make it yours and or restore it. It’s much easier to get back into the wrench mode after driving it and deciding on your next upgrade or mod. When the car is done (it never really will be till you sell it) you will have many memories of the journey and appreciate the hard work you put it.

The journey is the obsession, you have to be realistic, each step will get you closer, each mod you will second guess, the more you do yourself the more you will "drive" it.

I see so many cars that are restored for huge $ that are nice but too nice to drive and often the owners are afraid of it and end up selling it.

In my experience any 1st gen is a great car to get into but if it just sits in the garage then it will go nowhere but to someone else's garage.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 10-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #11
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i would get a value of the mustang off Kelley, NADA, etc to get exactly what your car is worth. Second, i would get some camaro friends who know alot about those cars to look at it with you to get an estimation on cost to restore it. that car is so far from running that by the time you put 20K into it, you could probably get one like it off Ebay or Craigs for same amount or less. like you said i see some going for 7000 grand, and others for 35K. alot depends on options, if its orginal big block 396, 427 engines, etc, if loaded with air, PW, tilt, RS, etc. there are alot of factors and also remember, as the population ages, i am not sure the young teens and 20 and 30 yr old kids today would appreciate a car that us 40 and 50 yr old guys would appreciate as we can associate with those cars in our youth. so, demand for these in 20 yrs, who knows? good luck.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #12
Q'smuscle
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Camaro VR 2SS/RS & Impala
I want a 60's Camaro too but preferably a 69 ! But I definitely wouldn't touch it because you don't know if the engine or transmission is any good ! Would hate to put all that money into the car to only find out once you think you're done the engine or transmission is trash!
Q'smuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 PM   #13
1FASTZ

Drives: 1969 Z/28
If you have the skill, time, and money to complete the body, paint, and mechanical work yourself, it might be worthwhile. Otherwise you'll be dumping lots of cash into a 1st Gen that doesn't bring the dollars that a Z or SS would. If it was a z/28 or big block SS, you would get a better return on your investment. Just something to factor in.
1FASTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM   #14
dplakosh

Thanks for the advice. If I do end up getting into this project I will be doing the work so I'm not worried about having to pay someone. I have done a lot of mechanical and body work. Just never a restoration.

I considered the idea of selling my car and then putting some money toward a completed one but I worry about what a previous person may have done restoring the car. From the work that I have been doing on my house I have seen some stupid things people have done to cut corners.