Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-27-2023, 06:39 PM   #1
matts_6.2

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS/RS
Overheating Issue, I think?

Hey guys, so I recently replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and the coolant. Very rarely and at an occurrence of every other week, my car will randomly "overheat" going up to about 260 degrees for coolant temperature cause the AC to shut off and Reduced Power Mode. I don't think the car is actually overheating because when I check under the hood there is no steam and I can touch the hoses for about 2-3 seconds before having to let off. The second reason I think it's an electrical issue is because the temperature would also jump to really hot and then back to normal temps and back and forth. This can occur while driving at highway speeds or sitting idle. I honestly have no clue what could be causing this. Looking forward to and appreciate and help or feedback.
matts_6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 04:22 AM   #2
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
Maybe one of your fans isn't working. Pop the hood and let the car warm up for about 5 minutes or so unless your in a extremely cold environment then a while longer and then turn on your ac and see if both your fans are on.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 05:38 AM   #3
bottletalk

Drives: 15 Camaro 2SS M6
why did you replace those parts? did u bleed the system after changing the coolant? do u have the right level of coolant in your overflow?
did you check your water pump? with the car off and cold remove ur rad cap. start the car and watch the coolant in the rad, when the engine heats up the thermostat will open and you should see the coolant change/flow at a noticeable speed.
does the pump pulley look good? no slop or play?
bottletalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 09:11 AM   #4
matts_6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
why did you replace those parts? did u bleed the system after changing the coolant? do u have the right level of coolant in your overflow?
did you check your water pump? with the car off and cold remove ur rad cap. start the car and watch the coolant in the rad, when the engine heats up the thermostat will open and you should see the coolant change/flow at a noticeable speed.
does the pump pulley look good? no slop or play?
I replaced those parts because of the current issue. It used to happen more frequently until I replaced them but now it seems that the issue is coming back. I did bleed the system by letting it run with the cap off while keeping it about 2k rpms. In the overflow, when the car is cool the coolant marks halfway on the overflow stick and its nearing the full mark when hot. I have seen the coolant flow when I first changed out the fluid. I will have to check the pulley later today.
Old 02-28-2023, 09:12 AM   #5
matts_6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
Maybe one of your fans isn't working. Pop the hood and let the car warm up for about 5 minutes or so unless your in a extremely cold environment then a while longer and then turn on your ac and see if both your fans are on.
Will do and update you. With the AC on, both fans spin.
Old 02-28-2023, 10:34 AM   #6
morepowerjoe

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro l99
On mine my high speed relay to the fan actually went out and kept my fans from coming on in high speed mode. You might want to check that out too.
DSS FX Forged Pistons, Eagle ESP L19 Forged Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, TSP PRC 260 CNC Ported Heads milled .030, Cometic .040 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnions , Molly Pushrods, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, Cold Air Inductions CAI, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, ZL1 Fuel Pump, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter, Fluid Dynamics Balancer

Build Thread https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=609817
morepowerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:21 PM   #7
matts_6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepowerjoe View Post
On mine my high speed relay to the fan actually went out and kept my fans from coming on in high speed mode. You might want to check that out too.
My fans seem to go into that high speed mode too. Super loud and pushes a lot of air. The only thing I can think of so far is the actual wire from the harness and the water pump. Although I am aware of the radiator, the fans, and the cap.
Old 02-28-2023, 01:34 PM   #8
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
Have you scanned for trouble codes? This could be a wiring issue also. If the ECM looses signal it might go to a max temp.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 06:18 PM   #9
matts_6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
Have you scanned for trouble codes? This could be a wiring issue also. If the ECM looses signal it might go to a max temp.
I have scanned for codes, nothing pops up. I'm heavily convinced that it is a wiring issue as well but can't think of anything other than the actual coolant temp connector.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:28 PM   #10
bottletalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_6.2 View Post
I have scanned for codes, nothing pops up. I'm heavily convinced that it is a wiring issue as well but can't think of anything other than the actual coolant temp connector.
use a multi meter and verify your wires from the sensor connector to the ECM connector. try running the car with the sensor disconnected, did it trigger a code? check ur temp display while disconnected....I think it fails at min temp on analog but no display on digital.
you still have the original sensor? run the car with ur new sensor connected until it gets to that high temp now turn off the car and quickly disconnect the sensor then take your multimeter set at ohms and measure the resistance in both polarities on the sensor and record ur findings. now duplicate that temp on a stove with a pot of water with the original sensor in it connected to your meter....do you get the same readings? if yes then your car is overheating. if no connect the original sensor electrically only(unless u have a signal generator)to ur car, leave the other in place in the block. try running the car and check if u get temp fluctuations like before(monitor ur rad cuz the fans will not turn on) if yes your analog input on the ecm is shot or u have a wiring issue, if no your car is overheating.

Last edited by bottletalk; 03-01-2023 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2023, 11:13 AM   #11
matts_6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottletalk View Post
use a multi meter and verify your wires from the sensor connector to the ECM connector. try running the car with the sensor disconnected, did it trigger a code? check ur temp display while disconnected....I think it fails at min temp on analog but no display on digital.
you still have the original sensor? run the car with ur new sensor connected until it gets to that high temp now turn off the car and quickly disconnect the sensor then take your multimeter set at ohms and measure the resistance in both polarities on the sensor and record ur findings. now duplicate that temp on a stove with a pot of water with the original sensor in it connected to your meter....do you get the same readings? if yes then your car is overheating. if no connect the original sensor electrically only(unless u have a signal generator)to ur car, leave the other in place in the block. try running the car and check if u get temp fluctuations like before(monitor ur rad cuz the fans will not turn on) if yes your analog input on the ecm is shot or u have a wiring issue, if no your car is overheating.
The only problem with this is that I can't just make it fluctuate like that, it seems to be completely random at times. The other week down here it went down to 30 degrees and it did it randomly. I think it may be the ECM signal or wiring somewhere from the ECM to the sensor.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:04 PM   #12
bottletalk

I'm guessing you traced the sensor wire back and looked for pinches or breaks. could even be a bad crimp/solder connection in the connector. if u disconnect the sensor and turn the car on does the gauge go high or low?
Old 04-13-2023, 09:09 PM   #13
Miami_SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matts_6.2 View Post
Hey guys, so I recently replaced the thermostat, coolant temp sensor, and the coolant. Very rarely and at an occurrence of every other week, my car will randomly "overheat" going up to about 260 degrees for coolant temperature cause the AC to shut off and Reduced Power Mode. I don't think the car is actually overheating because when I check under the hood there is no steam and I can touch the hoses for about 2-3 seconds before having to let off. The second reason I think it's an electrical issue is because the temperature would also jump to really hot and then back to normal temps and back and forth. This can occur while driving at highway speeds or sitting idle. I honestly have no clue what could be causing this. Looking forward to and appreciate and help or feedback.
I had the same symptoms and it turned out to be a cracked radiator and a blown head gasket which was replaced at the dealer this week ($5k in Miami). See my most recent post. I had the same symptoms and took it to the dealer 2x be4 a competent Tech (at the dealer) diagnosed the issue. I thought it was a thermostat or water pump be4 they did leak down test. The car acts like brand new now but I paid 4 it.
Miami_SS is offline   Reply With Quote