Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #1
Fred25

Drives: 2SS Garnett,black enblems,AR Wheel
Big Diecisions Input Reqyested

My wife informed me the HC will not be traded in as I planned for the ZL1. This means the 2SS I have would have to go. That means way more $ to go for the ZL1 value becomes more important. There are no reviews which really tell us where the ZL1 will fit into the super car toy business. When folks get a new car they are always wonderful especially after they spent a ton of money. The 2SS is a perfect car for dailey driving, fun driving, and reasonable costs per mile. Even the HC gets reasonable gas mileage on the HWY not very good around town. Now it costs $2100 for gas tax on top of the $65K. The ZL1 gets 12/20 mpg. My old ZR1 did way better than that. I drive a lot for fun and purpose. The reasoning if you can buy one who cares about gas is true for those who still work. For retired persons that is not as simple. The big question is the true value of the ZL1. I am 6'7" and don't have many choices for fun cars. Corvettes have been down sized or a Z06 would replace the HC and Camaro. 10spd is the only way to go after having had a PDK tranny. So even though theres no real track record does anyone have over 2K miles on their ZL1 who drives a lot have any input on plusses and minuses yet of their choice. This would have been easy if the costs were not rising and millage falling making the ZL1 more of a weekend special.
Fred25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:10 PM   #2
ron scubadiver

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
What's an HC? Honda Civic?
ron scubadiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #3
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Here kitty kitty kitty.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:17 PM   #4
Artos

Drives: A10 LT4
You lost me at 'the wife informed me'...

I knew The GG tax was gonna stick in my craw regardless if it was $200 or $2000...the whole concept of this double taxation is insulting, but what are you gonna do?? Not a deal killer & gotta pay to play. I may drive my ZL1 guessing 3000 per year & you stick me with this sort of jack?? I drive a 6.0 3/4 ton Chevy for a company truck & put 300-500 miles per day. To me, this is how s GG should assessed or abolished. But I digress.

IMO & for me personally, the daily mileage was the least of my concerns & only tied into the GG tax. The fact it's a decision based issue for you to buy or not makes me scratch my head for what the car is. Even if it had 16/24, I can tell you mine would only be 12 in town as that is what my Hemi Durango, our Tahoe or F150 will do if I was to drive it like Grandma. What's the point...cars that have gitty-up are alive when you can get up to speed limit with spirited safe enthusiasm. All 3 of my V8's get 12-13 in town if I'm driving.

I'm 6'1" & couldn't do the Z06...if you get the ZL1 only advice is to avoid the sun roof.

Honestly Not trying to be a jack-wagon on this post friend, just my personal thoughts & some fun/blunt banter.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:40 PM   #5
Stoner

Drives: 2017 ZL1 HBM, M6
First, at 6'7" I'm suspried you even fit in any Camaro. I do have the sun roof in my ZL1. I'm only 5'10" and have about 2" of head room. My sales guy told me you lose 2" by having the sunroof.

I would think you would have more room in the HC. But if you can fit in the ZL1 buy it! You will not be disappointed. If you keep you foot out of it, the gas mileage is reasonable
Stoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 09:46 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It seems to me (I assume "HC" stands for Hellcat)...that you have a crazy-high hp car...and a cruiser/toy car in the SS.

You also mention fuel economy a few times. And your wife apparently making decisions regarding this matter...

Given all of that, I want to suggest you keep the SS, and Hellcat...enjoy the hell out of the both of them and if you get bored...get to modifying things. Or head to the track.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
datboi448

Drives: 2013 2LT RS, 2017 ZL1
If I was in your position, my choice would be to keep the HC and the SS and go look for a used zl1 and then turn it into a project drag car, but that is just me.
datboi448 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #8
Evolvedx27

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Wtf
Evolvedx27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM   #9
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Sell the Hellcat, keep the SS. Buy the ZL1.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #10
clanky
Hyper Blue 2016 Camaro 2S

Drives: 16 Hyper Blue2SS NPP MagRide 6M NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Sell the Hellcat, keep the SS. Buy the ZL1.
Truth in your words.
clanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:34 PM   #11
SoCal Racer

Drives: C4,C6 Z06,Silverado,'17 Red Hot ZL1
First, I am not really sure how fuel economy is even a factor with any of the cars that you are discussing. Unless one of your options is a 4/6 cylinder, you should pretty much forget about fuel economy all together. Times have changed and 15-25mpg is not even close to good anymore. You can buy a non-hybrid Civic that is getting 40mpg...and hybrids that are doing 50+mpg. So just forget about fuel economy. Cars with high HP are about miles of fun, not miles per gallon(mpg). You mentioned those who are retired or not working, I am not sure why someone would have two of any of these vehicles if you are on a fixed budget. You could just pick your favorite one then use the rest of money for gas, insurance, maintenance, etc. Each of these cars are vehicles usually spent with excess money, not if your short. My parents are retired and even though my dad has an old Corvette, their new car is a Traverse, not a ZL1.

Second if your wife is in the conversation of what you can have or not have, just feel lucky that she is letting you have anything at all...lol. If you have an HC and an SS right now, be very happy. For my wife and I, we are fortunate to both have good jobs and after all the bills get taken care of and the kids are taken care of, my wife does not provide any "input" on what I buy. I pretty much can buy what I would like to as long as everything else gets taken care of. For me, I already have several vehicles. I was going to add either a HC or a ZL1. I chose a ZL1 over the HC because I do like to track my vehicles. Having driven the HC and a standard 2016 SS at the track, the Camaro just feels better on a road course (personal preference maybe). So I am kind of sold on the Camaro chassis. If the ZL1 is a little down on power to the HC that is okay...as soon as that warranty expires,...it won't be anymore. I have plenty of mods that I am preparing the car for and will give the ZL1 all the power it can handle down the road. That is the funny thing about power conversations, about numbers, like we are restricted from boosting those stock HP numbers on any vehicle. HC, ZL1, GT350/500...does not mater. They are all capable of great HP if you are willing to pay for it. I can see all of them hitting 1000+ HP if you put the money and work in. So it just comes down to what car each person likes and of course how to get the added power to the ground of course

Note on the headroom, I guess everyone is different, but I found that the Z06 gave me more headroom than the latest Camaro with a helmet on. The sunroof made a difference on the Camaro, but not as much as I have heard...maybe 1/2 an inch to an inch at most for me with a helmet on...so, yes I opted for a sunroof on my daily driven ZL1 Good Luck on your choices.
SoCal Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #12
17CamaroZL1
Life's Short, Live Fast!

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
For anyone that is concerned with fuel mileage, I found a video last night, that shows a 2017 ZL1 that has gotten 26.8 mpg and is averaging 19.3 combined. Proof that it can get good fuel mileage if you want it to.....and can resist flooring it every chance you get. LOL.
Life's Short, Live Fast! https://youtu.be/rTUv2p4T7OA 10.94 at 128 mph, 11.13 at 127mph 870 DA, https://youtu.be/e_X_LcpFp50 11.19 at 127mph 1100 DA, https://youtu.be/OXQiCQdQuH4 11.40 at 125mph 1800 DA
https://youtu.be/uWba1qs8M6Q 11.52 at 123mph 3500 DA
TZQPHG '17 ZL1 HBM|A10|Nav|PDR|CFW Hood|ZL1 Mats

12/26/2016 Ordered!
2/8/2017 Built!!
3/2/2017 Brought Home!!!
17CamaroZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:19 PM   #13
Fred25

Drives: 2SS Garnett,black enblems,AR Wheel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
It seems to me (I assume "HC" stands for Hellcat)...that you have a crazy-high hp car...and a cruiser/toy car in the SS.

You also mention fuel economy a few times. And your wife apparently making decisions regarding this matter...

Given all of that, I want to suggest you keep the SS, and Hellcat...enjoy the hell out of the both of them and if you get bored...get to modifying things. Or head to the track.
interesting advice. That was the decision.I had a chance to sit in a 1LE and the rearo seat is a deal killer. Pinched my legs and put. The stock 2SS seat is great. That saves a lot of money but I still get to drive the 2SS everyday. Not a bad deal either. I haven't been able to ever use a sun roof. Now the Honda Civic comment...you so funny....LOL
Fred25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:24 PM   #14
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Honda civics get great gas mileage. I would just tell your wife she will drive that.