Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
zeekle

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
New SS1 vs used SS2

New poster here. I am looking to get out of my current car (a 370Z) and move over to a gen6 camaro. I really want a V8 manual but looking at pricing and what I am comfortable paying for a car right now I am looking around 35k

All of my cars in my life (till I started getting Z cars) have been used so I am comfortable with possibly buying someone else's problem.

Given my budget it looks like I might be able get into a 1ss new or try to find a used 2ss. I have not yet found a 2ss in the area for sale.

I also have the option of waiting till the 2018s come out and trying to get price down on a 17 but I don't know that I will be able to get down that low on a manual which seem kinda rare around here. (Nashville)

thoughts?
zeekle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:25 PM   #2
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
i personally choose the 1ss because i hate the leather seats and the way sunroof opens up... so it's really up to you.. what's a must have in a car for you?.. i would choose a brand new 1SS over used 2SS .. as these cars are known to take a beating.. a lot of people say they "baby" their car .. but we all know what that really means.. lol ..
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
OP, I would expand your search and look for a used SS. If you look hard they can ba had around $30K. Buying lightly used is ALWAYS the smarter choice.

Another idea is to wait for another 20% off Chevy sale. We may even see this on M6 ZL1s. Give it time.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #4
cooden

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS & '15 Durango R/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekle View Post
New poster here. I am looking to get out of my current car (a 370Z) and move over to a gen6 camaro. I really want a V8 manual but looking at pricing and what I am comfortable paying for a car right now I am looking around 35k

All of my cars in my life (till I started getting Z cars) have been used so I am comfortable with possibly buying someone else's problem.

Given my budget it looks like I might be able get into a 1ss new or try to find a used 2ss. I have not yet found a 2ss in the area for sale.

I also have the option of waiting till the 2018s come out and trying to get price down on a 17 but I don't know that I will be able to get down that low on a manual which seem kinda rare around here. (Nashville)

thoughts?
I would strongly recommend getting on autotrader.com and going out 300-500 miles and look for a '16 SS manual that's brand new. The dealers will negotiate with you to get rid of the '16's on their lot.

For reference, I bought my '16 2SS BRAND NEW for $29,444--the dealer had an online price to move it. The deals are out there, just look a little farther.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
Richard0nee

Drives: 2016 SS M6, NPP
If I had to choose, 1SS but it would just need to have black rims, M6 & NPP. The leather knee pads you can add on later.

Don't really want/need anything from the 2SS except the leather seats and HUD.
Richard0nee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
zeekle

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooden View Post
I would strongly recommend getting on autotrader.com and going out 300-500 miles and look for a '16 SS manual that's brand new. The dealers will negotiate with you to get rid of the '16's on their lot.

For reference, I bought my '16 2SS BRAND NEW for $29,444--the dealer had an online price to move it. The deals are out there, just look a little farther.
Never really went out of town for a car purchase.. do you typically do the negotiations over the phone?

I would love to get a new one if I had the option.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:33 PM   #7
zeekle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP, I would expand your search and look for a used SS. If you look hard they can ba had around $30K. Buying lightly used is ALWAYS the smarter choice.

Another idea is to wait for another 20% off Chevy sale. We may even see this on M6 ZL1s. Give it time.
I am not in rush (although I might detect a little car fever coming on) Do you expect to see that coming around the spring/summer?

Not used to sales on cars being something I can get. Nissan never does anything for the Z cars even when they have a blowout on everything else
Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM   #8
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Keep in mind that you are not the only one experiencing car fever. With a mild winter and temperatures jumping into the 50s semi-regularly, late February and March is when people are going to start looking to buy their Spring toys with their tax refunds. Supply and demand economics. This doesn't mean that you won't be able to find a deal. Dealers are wanting to get rid of their stock before their tax bill is due. There will be deals. But, with the influx of buyers looking for deals, they will reduce the amount of vehicles available. If you can find what you want exactly and at a great deal, jump on it.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:15 PM   #9
DownWithNPP

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
As the others have said the deals are out there. However here are my 2 cents. I came from an every option M3 to a 17 1SS and haven't looked back. Aside from the Bose being better the rest is kind of fluff in my eyes. Besides you can't beat that new car smell and the peace of mind that you can only get from a brand new car. Good luck with the search!
DownWithNPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Quote:
Never really went out of town for a car purchase.. do you typically do the negotiations over the phone?

I would love to get a new one if I had the option.
Yes you do. And I have done this twice. Look locally and drive a similar vehicle if you can find one so you know what you are getting. Assuming they have one locally and they aren't willing to deal as you mentioned, drive it - and then tell them flat out you are going out of town to get one at your price. I can almost guarantee they'll move. It happens all the time.

That said, assuming they won't deal, open up your search. Easy to search inventory online. You can even work trade over the phone/email if need be. I did it when I traded for the 50th I have now. I live in VA and did the entire deal except signing the papers via phone/email.

The key is to drive and look at what you want locally. Even if they don't have the combo you want - so for example, if you want a blue M6 2SS with NPP, but they only have a red auto with NPP, and blue manual 1SS, look at/drive them both and so you understand what you'll be getting. Also, when you find what you want out of town, they will send you a million pictures if you request them. Let's you make sure it's what you want before you drive/fly.

I highly recommend opening your search area. Good luck!
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #11
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
I lucked out and found the exact car i was looking for on autotrader with 5K miles for 33K OTD (incl. almost 2K in NC tax- OEM sticker was 45K) 2SS summit white with gray seats/carpets and door panels, 6mt ,NPP and Nav. I would have liked MRC but it wasnt a deal breaker as i had previously test driven cars both with and without.
This particular car was just listed that day and i went straight to check it out... Turns out the service manager at a nearby dealership flips cars every 5K miles and the car was literally perfect. The original window sticker was in the trunk and nicely laminated.
i went over the car thoroughly with the service manager/previous owner (he even put it on the lift for me to inspect underneath) not one rock chip anywhere ( i was shocked) and the lifetime fuel mileage was 23.5 so i know he wasnt dogging it around. Just back and forth to work for 4 months. diff oil changed at 1500miles.... How could i argue with someone else taking a 14K depreciation hit off the sticker price and me winding up with a very gently used car that is really just a weekend toy and for occasional track days where it will now be way easier for me to flog it without guilt (hey its used :-)

Deals are out there....

Last edited by Racerman27410; 02-03-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 03:57 PM   #12
zeekle

sounds like I need to get my rear end in some cars and decide what is important to me.

My dad was a car salesman till I moved out of the house so I am sensitive to wasting folks time looking at cars I might not buy but that is about the only way I am going to figure out if I will be happy with the 1SS.

If I "need" a 2SS I got some things to further consider.

Just for the record there are three 2016s within 500 miles of me on autotrader and all of them are selling for about 1k under MSRP (not counting the 3 vert ones that are way out of my price range). I would have to get 10k off of any of them (ones a nice red though) to get in my budget.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
toro1966

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Convertible 50th
Quote:
sounds like I need to get my rear end in some cars and decide what is important to me.

My dad was a car salesman till I moved out of the house so I am sensitive to wasting folks time looking at cars I might not buy but that is about the only way I am going to figure out if I will be happy with the 1SS.

If I "need" a 2SS I got some things to further consider.

Just for the record there are three 2016s within 500 miles of me on autotrader and all of them are selling for about 1k under MSRP (not counting the 3 vert ones that are way out of my price range). I would have to get 10k off of any of them (ones a nice red though) to get in my budget.
I don't like wasting people's time either, but in reality, look at the cars you want and drive them. Try and make the deal with them, but don't settle and make sure they know you will go elsewhere. of course you have to actually be ready to do that and once you get in one of these things, you don't want to leave without it
toro1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:41 AM   #14
Marine Corps

Drives: 2016 2SS Garnet Red Camaro
I have a 2016 Camaro 2SS with a sunroof. One does not have to order a sunroof. It's an option. Some don't like how it looks when open. I checked ALL the boxes and paid more than many. I took delivery December 2015 when huge discounts were not available. However, I got to drive my new Camaro months before others who were waiting for a better price. I did get a discount off MSRP and $20k for my trade. I would suggest buying new or certified used at a minimum. Good luck.
Added Procharger supercharger.
Marine Corps is offline   Reply With Quote