Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Phastek Performance

Old 07-23-2023, 08:44 PM   #1
bbjohnny

Drives: 2023 Camaro
wind screen repair

One of the "fingers" broke on my wind screen. Anyone know of replacement parts? If not does anyone have a damaged one that is for sale for parts? Thank you!
Attached Images

bbjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:50 AM   #2
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
I don't believe parts are available. You might have luck by finding another broken one and salvaging the piece you need...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 05:34 PM   #3
The Chief (tm)

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS "Convertibobble"
What if you were to carefully drill out the silver-colored pin that the circular ends of the "fingers" rotate around, then put a well-fitting threaded screw through that hole, with washers big enough for the ends to not pull through. So you've "mostly" re-attached the broken-off finger to the frame, just with a screw, not the original pin.

Somehow get the finger aligned so that it leaves the slightest gap between its end ("fingertip"?) and the frame, *just* big enough to slip the seat belt into, then tighten the heck out of the bolt and the screw.

So now the finger won't be able to rotate out anymore, but that's not *really* a big deal, because you can just carefully thread the seat belt into the small gap between the fingertip and the frame each time you install or remove.

Basically, the screw and the still-functional "hoop" on on the frame, that the silver pin goes through, will be sharing the part of load that the now-broken part of the finger used to carry.
'94 ST1100 146K
The Chief (tm) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 06:14 PM   #4
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
What if you were to carefully drill out the silver-colored pin that the circular ends of the "fingers" rotate around, then put a well-fitting threaded screw through that hole, with washers big enough for the ends to not pull through. So you've "mostly" re-attached the broken-off finger to the frame, just with a screw, not the original pin.

Somehow get the finger aligned so that it leaves the slightest gap between its end ("fingertip"?) and the frame, *just* big enough to slip the seat belt into, then tighten the heck out of the bolt and the screw.

So now the finger won't be able to rotate out anymore, but that's not *really* a big deal, because you can just carefully thread the seat belt into the small gap between the fingertip and the frame each time you install or remove.

Basically, the screw and the still-functional "hoop" on on the frame, that the silver pin goes through, will be sharing the part of load that the now-broken part of the finger used to carry.
And also temporarily crazy glue the two broken pieces together, then drill it on the correct angle so you can put a pin in to secure the two broken pieces kind of like pinning a broken leg
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 07:57 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Working with the parts on hand and crafting a repair is probably the only true option anyhow. I recall trying to get one of those screws out to remove one of the "arms" and they are in there -solid-.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:06 AM   #6
The Chief (tm)

I had another idea that could work, sort of a cue-ball off of Calgary's idea, where you drill directly (perpendicularly) into the face of the broken surface, then screw an "eyelet" screw into the hole, such that the "eye" opening is in-line with where the original pin went. Then you do another bolt straight through the holes, with washers as needed, as in my first idea.

If the screw/pin is really tough to remove as Ember warns, then drilling it out is probably the only way. But it's not like you're going to break the piece any "more", and also, this part takes *some* load, but not an insane amount, so even if the solution -- whatever that is -- is somewhat MacGuyver'ed, it should probably work.
'94 ST1100 146K
Old 07-25-2023, 07:08 AM   #7
The Chief (tm)

I had another idea that could work, sort of a cue-ball off of Calgary's idea, where you drill directly (perpendicularly) into the face of the broken surface, then screw an "eyelet" screw into the hole, such that the "eye" opening is in-line with where the original pin went. Then you do another bolt straight through the holes, with washers as needed, as in my first idea.

If the screw/pin is really tough to remove as Ember warns, then drilling it out is probably the only way. But it's not like you're going to break the piece any "more", and also, this part takes *some* load, but not an insane amount, so even if the solution -- whatever that is -- is somewhat MacGuyver'ed, it should probably work.
'94 ST1100 146K
Old 07-25-2023, 07:12 AM   #8
The Chief (tm)

Or find a friend with a 3D printer!
'94 ST1100 146K
Old 07-25-2023, 10:37 AM   #9
bbjohnny

Drives: 2023 Camaro
Thank you for the ideas. The arms actually rotate out and fit into a hole/slot in or by the rear seat. So when in use they are rotated out and to fit in the bag they are rotated in. Anyone have a screen that they are not using that they would sell?
bbjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 11:30 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
At least one on ebay right now.
Another repair option might be a pop rivet. not sure if you can get the tool in there.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/40438755543...Bk9SR6yui96xYg
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 12:57 PM   #11
The Chief (tm)

BBJ,

I know what you mean about "rotating out" to slip the fingers into that little slot.

What I meant was that if the only "apparent" solution is to do a fix that, unfortunately, prevents the finger from moving, then I don't think that it will render the screen useless, *especially* if you have the other, functional finger "rotated out" and into the slot like you normally would. And with the finger frozen very near the "closed" position, it will be less likely to be broken off again, since it will really almost never move.

Because truth be told, but I've never actually even *done* it that way -- because I didn't even realize this until you said it!

Nope, since I purchased the screen, I've simply left the fingers in the "closed" position, and slip the seat belt into and through the little gap. So the fingers never really move, the belt is between the back of the frame and the front of the finger, the backsides of the fingers are resting against the upper front face of the seat, and this arrangement holds the horizontal part of the screen in place just fine.

(Yes, I suppose there's a little indentation now at each side of the upper face of the seat -- I only remove the screen about once every two or three weeks.)

And I can tell you from experience, with this set-up, the screen will not go anywhere at least up to 114 MPH with the windows down.
'94 ST1100 146K
Old 07-25-2023, 01:07 PM   #12
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chief (tm) View Post
BBJ,

I know what you mean about "rotating out" to slip the fingers into that little slot.

What I meant was that if the only "apparent" solution is to do a fix that, unfortunately, prevents the finger from moving, then I don't think that it will render the screen useless, *especially* if you have the other, functional finger "rotated out" and into the slot like you normally would. And with the finger frozen very near the "closed" position, it will be less likely to be broken off again, since it will really almost never move.

Because truth be told, but I've never actually even *done* it that way -- because I didn't even realize this until you said it!

Nope, since I purchased the screen, I've simply left the fingers in the "closed" position, and slip the seat belt into and through the little gap. So the fingers never really move, the belt is between the back of the frame and the front of the finger, the backsides of the fingers are resting against the upper front face of the seat, and this arrangement holds the horizontal part of the screen in place just fine.

(Yes, I suppose there's a little indentation now at each side of the upper face of the seat -- I only remove the screen about once every two or three weeks.)

And I can tell you from experience, with this set-up, the screen will not go anywhere at least up to 114 MPH with the windows down.
So, you don't have the pieces at the back edge of the horizontal portion inserted into the slots "next to" the seat backs of the rear seat? It's basically just floating there?
Old 07-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #13
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
3m panel adhesive might work. They glue panels on cars with it. no good for oil but might work good on that
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 02:30 PM   #14
The Chief (tm)

Ember,

Not exactly floating, because the seat belt is threaded through the "closed" finger.

Can't take a pic right now but if you were looking, from the driver's seat, back at the horizontal part of the screen, in order from front to back you'd see:

-- horizontal mesh surface
-- rear edge of horizontal screen frame
-- seat belt coming up from below
-- closed finger with seat belt going over it
-- seat
-- and seat belt disappearing into the slot

So I've never even opened the "fingers" all the way. Didn't even know that slot was there! ("How'm I doin'...) :-0
'94 ST1100 146K