Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #1
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Possible to overfill diff?

I took my car to my mechanic to drain and refill my rear diff. I bought the correct fluid and gave him the fluid. I forgot to mention the amount that needs to go in as I bought 2 quarts but I believe the capacity is 1.2 liters. When I went to pick my car up I asked if there was any remaining fluid as I track my car and wanted to not have to buy 2 quarts again when I drain it next year. They said they used almost all of the second bottle. They said they filled it up until a little bit came out of the fill plug.

Is that the correct procedure? I know typically it is but wasn’t sure if this car is like that. I wasn’t sure if that 1.2 liters would bring it all the way up to the fill plug or not. I’m aware some spillage will occur during the process but I didn’t think that much would occur to where the second bottle is basically empty.
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #2
Wuiquen

Drives: 2018 Hot Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post
I took my car to my mechanic to drain and refill my rear diff. I bought the correct fluid and gave him the fluid. I forgot to mention the amount that needs to go in as I bought 2 quarts but I believe the capacity is 1.2 liters. When I went to pick my car up I asked if there was any remaining fluid as I track my car and wanted to not have to buy 2 quarts again when I drain it next year. They said they used almost all of the second bottle. They said they filled it up until a little bit came out of the fill plug.

Is that the correct procedure? I know typically it is but wasn’t sure if this car is like that. I wasn’t sure if that 1.2 liters would bring it all the way up to the fill plug or not. I’m aware some spillage will occur during the process but I didn’t think that much would occur to where the second bottle is basically empty.
Yes. Fill it up until it start to drip from the fill plug. Last time mine took 1.5 qts

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2021, 05:03 PM   #3
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
About 1.5 quarts/L is what I use up as well on my SS 1LE. I think the rear diff fluid capacity is pretty similar between models, at least the limited-slip ones.

It's pretty hard to screw up, as mentioned.

They probably just kept the remaining new fluid or accidentally spilled a bit of it.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 05:32 PM   #4
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Nope. No way to overfill it. The extra just runs out of the fill hole when it gets high enough.

And if memory serves correctly, it takes 1.6 quarts. Just enough that you need more than 3 bottles to do 2 changes.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 06:38 PM   #5
m6-lt1

Drives: 2023 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Awesome, thanks everyone for the replies!
m6-lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #6
Jaxcam02

Drives: 2017 Silverado/2017 ZL1
They might have used some of it to flush out some of the old oil
Old 10-29-2021, 08:45 PM   #7
Nilly Welson

Drives: Camaro Super Sport, Six on the Stik
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6-lt1 View Post

Yep....on all cars.
Nilly Welson is offline   Reply With Quote