Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 12-17-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
I keep forgetting about OnStar...

So, tonight my car broke down. It's a continuation of a previous post where a cylinder started missing and I was able to wiggle the wire to get it to fire again.

I was going to be taking it into the shop next week, and figured I could manage as is until then.

I had to do a dentist appointment today, but that is up towards my hometown, about an hour and a half drive away. I thought about cancelling but figured I'd be ok.

I'm on my way home, in the dark, on a solitary road in the Skagit Valley area when the car starts to miss. I'm looking for a place to pull over when the car just died. Coasted to a stop and was fortunate to find a spot to pull off, though I still had part of the rear end hanging just over the white line because there wasn't a lot of room.

I start making calls on my cell phone, including to the nearby dealer at which the service department had just closed. I think it was just a salesman there. He suggested using OnStar, but was unable to look up towing spots in the Yellow Pages. Since I don't pay for the full version of OnStar, wasn't sure if the roadside stuff would cover it.

Anyways, I pushed the button, and they were able to get a tow truck there at no cost so it could be taken to the nearby dealer.

Now I have to wait till Monday to talk to the service department there and find out how long I'll be missing the car...
Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #2
SM0KE
IN THE CIRCLE

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
You drive an hour and a half each way to go to dentist?
Sorry about your car.
Hopefully its an easy fix.

SM0KE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
How many miles you got on your car now? Will this be a warranty fix?
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 AM   #4
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by SM0KE View Post
You drive an hour and a half each way to go to dentist?
Sorry about your car.
Hopefully its an easy fix.
Yep

Seriously, though...he's been my dentist for 25+ years. It's right near where my mom lives so it's also an excuse to go visit her. They're open on Saturdays so it's really not a problem at all.

As far as the fix, it's probably more than just the spark plug wire. I'm pretty certain none of the plugs were firing. The good thing is it's under warranty. Though I wouldn't mind it back quickly...we'll see what happens. I hope to also have them look at my heated seat that isn't working as well...so that may take time too.

At least I have my Impala, though I need to pay the registration on it. Haven't driven it at all recently, and the only time I've driven it has been when my car was in the shop for body repairs.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:19 AM   #5
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BADLS3 View Post
How many miles you got on your car now? Will this be a warranty fix?
Just turned it over 40,000 last weekend. Yeah, it's a warranty fix.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
Crud :(

You are supposed to get a loaner.
Well, dealership was closed when the car got towed in. I had to leave keys in drop box.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:57 PM   #7
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Sucks. Hope all goes well.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:46 PM   #8
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Update:

Well, it turns out there was corrosion in the fuse box, and the problem was actually with fuel being injected into the cylinder. Since the fuse box is right where I was reaching in to wiggle the spark plug wire, I guess that makes sense. I must have bumped that and re-established the connection until it went completely bad.

The good news is my extended warranty fully covers this (not a powertrain issue).

The bad news is that the part isn't available right now, and they are doing a SPAD (Spelling?) so that I'm a priority when the part does become available. Though he made it sound like it could be a few days, I'll play it by ear.

The warranty also covers a rental in this case for 3 days, but I have my car for now. Since I'm unsure of the time-frame, I'm just going to use the rental to get myself from Seattle to the dealer where it's being serviced (about 70 miles away), so I don't need to make multiple trips in other cars.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
bajamoon

Drives: 2014 Subaru WRX
Glad they found the problem and it's covered.
bajamoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Iroczlover
The Krazzy bytch

Drives: Which car I have 9 vehicles?
Send a message via MSN to Iroczlover Send a message via Yahoo to Iroczlover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
Update:

Well, it turns out there was corrosion in the fuse box, and the problem was actually with fuel being injected into the cylinder. Since the fuse box is right where I was reaching in to wiggle the spark plug wire, I guess that makes sense. I must have bumped that and re-established the connection until it went completely bad.

The good news is my extended warranty fully covers this (not a powertrain issue).

The bad news is that the part isn't available right now, and they are doing a SPAD (Spelling?) so that I'm a priority when the part does become available. Though he made it sound like it could be a few days, I'll play it by ear.

The warranty also covers a rental in this case for 3 days, but I have my car for now. Since I'm unsure of the time-frame, I'm just going to use the rental to get myself from Seattle to the dealer where it's being serviced (about 70 miles away), so I don't need to make multiple trips in other cars.
yea the Sped is great. basically they put you on a list for parts as those parts come out those who are on that list get them first.

I am not a man I have boobies.
Cars are like women, If you treat her rough shes going to complain & you will hear about it. If you treat her right she will purrrrrrrrrrrrr
Current cars owned , 72 Skylark vert,86 fiero GT Sold , 87 Iroc-z (sold), 90 Vette Vert SOLD , 95 Z28, 99 Silverado K1500 Totaled, 2010 CGM Camaro 2ss/rs (had to sell & I hate it ) ,2012 Cruze LT repoed.

Current current list lol 2006 Silverado 2500hd.
Iroczlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #11
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
DON"T FORGET TO STOP YOUR ONSTAR IF YOU HAVE YOUR CAR IN WINTER STORAGE
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 09:55 PM   #12
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Glad it's an easy fix.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
heRS
Raised by Wolves

Drives: IBM 2010 2LT RS M6
All that water on your side of the hump, Dennis... Glad it's still under warrantee.

heRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #14
RED DEMON SS
OFF THE CHAIN

Drives: PSHHH UWISH
Steve where is your car at? Blade Chevy or Jerry Smith?
Also next time your in my neck of the woods holler and we can meet up sometime!