Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 05-25-2017, 03:48 PM   #1
SW13ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Factory tire sealant saves the day!!

Driving along today and low tire pressure alarm comes on. Pull over and can hear a small leak and rear tire is quickly down to 15 psi. Found the hole and positioned the tire with the leak so it was the bottom where the sealant would settle. Factory sealant and pump sealed it up and to 35psi. Didn't drop a pound of pressure over the 20 mile drive to get to discount tire for a quick patch job.
SW13ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
COLPhil

Drives: 2005 Avalanche, 1999 Corvette
I prefer this to sealant for small holes:
http://www.dynaplug.com/
Been using them successfully for years, and your tire shop won't HATE you when they have to break down a rim/tire full of slime and then have to clean it. Added plus is the rubber in the plugs vulcanizes to the tire after a few heat/cool cycles to make a permanent repair and w/o breaking down the rim and risking damage. FWIW.
COLPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #3
SW13ZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Thanks for the link, I need to get some plugs. I'm a mountIn biker and use those plugs in emergencies and always run a latex sealant to seal holes. I actually refilled the factory sealant with same product I use for my mountain bike.
SW13ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 04:20 PM   #4
COLPhil

The original ones were plastic, but I recently bought one from them that is solid aluminum. Most I've ever had to use are two on a screw hole. Make yourself a little kit-the Dynaplug plus extra plugs, a small cross cut pliers to grab the head and pull or twist it out, and a small dead blow hammer. The hammer helps your not having to beat the hell out of the palm of your hand trying to drive the plug mandrel past the steel cord.
Old 05-25-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
Zepp

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLPhil View Post
Been using them successfully for years, and your tire shop won't HATE you when they have to break down a rim/tire full of slime and then have to clean it. Added plus is the rubber in the plugs vulcanizes to the tire after a few heat/cool cycles to make a permanent repair and w/o breaking down the rim and risking damage. FWIW.
Looks like an awesome product, I need to pick one of these up to add to my roadside repair kit. Thanks for sharing!
Old 05-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
kwav8r
Flyin NOE

Drives: 2018 ZL1 (A10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLPhil View Post
AWESOME! Thanks
kwav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:44 PM   #7
COLPhil

Suggest making a small kit-the Dynaplug tool and extra plugs, smaller crosscut pliers to pull out a nail or twist out a screw (if a screw, don't pull it out-you'll do more damage to the cord), and a small dead blow hammer. Inflate the tire back to normal PSI, remove nail/screw and insert plug. The hammer makes it easier to drive the plug mandrel through the cord without beating the hell out of the palm of your hand. Check for leaks with liquid soap and add another if necessary. Finally, cut off the "tail" with the pliers. Easy!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
Cornholio
I need Teepee!

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Dynaplug looks awesome I will definitely be getting one. I have already 1 tire patched luckily it was a slow leak. This would make me feel much better about not having a spare
Cornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:43 PM   #9
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
Alternativly I have used https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which you can grab for 30$(wearhouse deals) I have used over 20 times for friends cars and my own never had any one of them leak.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote