Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
Front plates

Live in WA state which requires a front plate. Previous owner never flew one and have noticed many others don't either. I'm not a scofflaw but am having trouble hanging an ugly ass plate on my bump. Have collector plate on an old Jeep that doesn't require front plate so I'm torn on how and if the men in blue will enforce probable cause for a pullover. Anyone have first hand experience... specifically in WA?
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #2
zr1chris

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Some areas are worse than others. I'd risk it until the first ticket.
So glad i live in Florida where we dont get a plate for the front.
zr1chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #3
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Drives: 2011 2LTRS Convertible
As a policy, I try to never give them a reason to pull me over. Especially a built in reason meaning no matter what, they can stop and hassle you if they feel like it.

So I mount it.

And why does Autozone carry 20 different license plate "protective" covers. They are ALL illegal in WA. Smoke weed, but not your plates (as in smoked plate covers, but clear or smoked doesn't matter - illegal).
Old 02-17-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
ajohnson

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
all I did on my LT was mount it with two zip ties on the upper corners to the lower grill and it works great. If your worried about rubbing your paint, just put an adhesive patch behind it to protect the paint.
ajohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:25 PM   #5
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
I also zip-tied mine to the lower grill. I put some foam tape on the back of the plate to keep it from scratching the grill.
Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 PM   #6
2011ss/rs

Drives: 11 ss/rs RJT w/Black Cherry stripes
Send a message via AIM to 2011ss/rs
Here is what I did.

https://youtu.be/2vyLlEdljdc
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 PM   #7
XxScottxXN
Huge Chevy Fan

Drives: 14' 2SS/RS 1LE built 4/22/14
Montana is required and I ran without for almost a year....then... got stopped and a warning. So instead of pushing my luck..I put it on. I also have personalized plates and figured what the hell. I paid extra for plates..might as well let people read them!!!
2014 2SS/RS Red Rock Metallic, Recaro seats, sunroof, NPP, Nitto Motivo 275/40/20 front 315/35/20 back, Cold air inductions intake, elite catch can, Stainless Works 1 7/8" long tube headers w/hiflow cats, 20% tint, Intake rod mod by Gwatney Performance, Bo White ported & polished throttle body, powerbond 25% UDP, Howards Cam 226/236 duration- 525/525 lift 110 ....with a WHOLE bunch of fun added!!
XxScottxXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #8
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
El Duderino, kind of my point... it gives them probable cause. If you have a beer or two at dinner that could get you hamstrung. Not sure it's worth giving the fuzz an excuse but I'm gonna live dangerously and take my chances.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 12:18 AM   #9
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I was stationed in various states, most of which required 2 plates; for all those years I never had a front plate and never got stopped. I now live in a state where, due to an exception in the law, I don't need to have a front plate. Ironically, on trip through California a couple years ago, I was pulled over by CHP for not having one. After a polite conversation with the officer, I was on my way with an apology instead of a ticket.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:23 AM   #10
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

If you read the LETTER of the law, it says you only have to display both, if you were ISSUED two plates. If (by some unexplained mixup in Olympia or maybe at the dealership for instance and you have no idea how that could have happened) there was only one plate in the envelope, then technically YOU did not break any laws. It would be next to impossible for the State to prove you received two plates. Especially if you are like me and NEVER let the dealer install them.

Worst case senerioou, you would probably be required to purchase two replacement plates.

http://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.200

JMHO, I'm not a lawyer, but I do play one on TV.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #11
Mr. Stacy
El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I was stationed in various states, most of which required 2 plates; for all those years I never had a front plate and never got stopped. I now live in a state where, due to an exception in the law, I don't need to have a front plate. Ironically, on trip through California a couple years ago, I was pulled over by CHP for not having one. After a polite conversation with the officer, I was on my way with an apology instead of a ticket.
That's nice. I hate how big and ugly the front plate is.

I have to run "the gauntlet" every morning. First 10 miles on the freeway part of my commute is a "speed emphathisis" zone and has been for many years. Two or three cops there every, single morning with their eyes pealed. Finally got tagged about a month ago. I wonder how long till they noticed I didn't have a front plate, or if they would even care? Hmmmmmm...
Old 02-18-2016, 06:24 AM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
If/when I move to a state that will require a front license plate this is what I'm going to use:

http://jacfab.com/products/camaro-pr...-bracket/#2010

No drilling so no blemishes/damage to the front bumper.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:15 AM   #13
JamesMyBoy

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
JacFab is the way to go.
I moved from AZ to NE in 2014, and within a couple weeks of getting the Nebraska plates (I initially only put on the back one), I got pulled over and was served a warning ticket. Some states really push the issue, others not so much.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #14
Skillet
Account Suspended

Drives: car
I've run no front plate on various vehicles including my Camaro for the last 6 years and have never gotten pulled over by a cop for it.

HOWEVER, what you need to be aware of is when you park in a downtown or any municipal area where these meter maid vultures (hate them with a passion) hang around. You will come back to your car to find a ticket for no front plate.
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote