Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 10-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #1
77Z28

Drives: 2016 2SS A8, NPP, Mag ride
OnStar Smart Driver while at dealership

Today I am going to pick up my car from the dealer after they have had it for over a week replacing the exhaust, replacing a wiring harness and fixing a couple other minor issues. I checked the OnStar smart driver this morning and since the dealership had my car there have been 14 hard accelerations. One of them was this morning when they would have moved it out of the garage so I assume they revved it up because the distance traveled is 0 miles. I think part of the problem is that I do not know what it takes for OnStar to consider it a hard acceleration. I assume it is less than WOT but I do not know. Anyone know what it takes to be considered a hard acceleration?

This car is very easy to get to 80mph but they should not be driving my car that fast in a 60mph area even if it was for less than 1/2 mile.

I would love to hear other opinions.
Attached Images

77Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 09:31 PM   #2
Donner

Drives: 2017 50th SS convertible
Hello,

I have the family driver stuff engaged with On Star too so I went out and tested it for myself. Being that I am breaking in the engine (still less than 1000 miles as of today) I haven't exceeded the 4 grand rpm and have only rolled on it briskly in the appropriate gears (not even exceeding 3 grand). It gave me hard acceleration warnings for even mild romps. You can try it yourself but the warnings trigger far before coinciding with what I would consider abuse.

Kindest,

Donner
Donner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 10:10 PM   #3
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
I have Onstar Smartdriver and its extremely sensitive to even moderate throttle and braking. The first week I had the car I drove it super easy but when I checked my Smart Driver it said I had all kinds of hard starts and stops. I was so surprised I pretty much tossed out even using it for anything as its far too sensitive. Now that its got some miles on it I drive it a little more like its supposed to be driven and my Smart Driver score is rarely above the 50s.

It looks like your dealer kept the score at 91 so I'd say aside from that one run to 80MPH(which may not even have been full throttle) that they were pretty careful with the car. You can actually see a GPS MAP on the Onstar Website that will give you GPS plots on a map for each event. This was you can see where they were when it went 80 MPH. Maybe you too kit to 80 on the drive to the dealer and didn't recall?

Anyhow, in short. What Smart Driver considers hard starts/stops is ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't be upset at all if I were you.
Megahurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:08 AM   #4
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
I just checked mine for the first time, and wow...
The score looks pretty bad for my driving style.
I give it a gas every once in a while, but nothing serious that could be a potential hazard to other vehicles.

I consider myself to be a safe driver.
I do admit that sometimes drove about 10mph over the posted limit when the road is empty, but I don't tailgate or drive aggressively.
Only hard braking I remember is this once when a driver pulled out from a blind corner and I had the right of the way.

This score makes me look really bad
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2016, 09:37 AM   #5
77Z28

Drives: 2016 2SS A8, NPP, Mag ride
I picked up my car yesterday and now that I had a chance to look at the smart driver with me driving I agree with everyone and it is way too sensitive. On a drive last night to take my daughters to their dance class it showed 12 hard accelerations and I know there was only 1 time when I got into it a little and that is when I was getting onto the interstate.
There were two days where the dealership did test drives and hit over 80mph according to the smart driver. I assume it was on the state route which is next to the dealer that has a speed limit of 60. There was hard acceleration on it. I can tell from the day and the time that is was not me driving. What is weird is it did not record my drive home from the dealership which is around 50 miles.
When I picked up my car I did talk to the service manager about it and took a printed copy of one of the days. I told him I was not really concerned about the hard accelerations because I know it is easy for this car to accelerate but I did not think they needed to be driving my car 80 mph on a test drive where the highest speed limit in the area is 60 mph. Who know how fast they were actually going. He agreed with me and said he would take care of it so it would not happen again. I did discover that they turned my alarm off for going 80 mph. It must have scared them the first time it went off. I had set it as a reminder to slow down when I bought the car for the break in period and just never turned it off after the car was broke in.
77Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
DougCBJ

Drives: 2016 Blue 2SS
what dealer
DougCBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
67Builder
White knuckled & smiling

Drives: '17 ZL1 AKA Perfection!
Those smart driver numbers aren't based on a Camaro, they're just a number someone decided was hard acceleration. So flooring a Cruz and barely blipping the throttle on a Camaro will net you the same acceleration time/speed. I wouldn't be too worried about it honestly. If you noticed rubber bits on your paint behind your rear tires though...
67Builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Here is my Smart Drvier score for the month. Apparently I fail.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2016, 10:15 AM   #9
stella16
1959 Chevy Apache 4X4

Drives: 2017 ZL1
is this an app? or part of your onstar plan? Is it included in what came with the car? or something that you added?

thanks
stella16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:31 AM   #10
osubuckeye

Drives: 2016 2LT Gamet Red Tintcoat
This hard acceleration thing is a joke. Today I left the house and went to two places and then back home. Called up my Smart Driver Report and it says I had 3 hard accelerations. One at 08:20 am , one at 08:54 and one at 09:25 am. I never had the car over 40 mph the whole time. It was all in town driving. AVG MPH was 29. I guess if you just touch the gas pedal it counts as a hard acceleration.
osubuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:10 AM   #11
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
If you aren't accelerating hard, and not the sissy onstar definition of hard acceleration, then why did you waste money on a camaro?

Accelerating hard and braking hard is what the car was designed to do. It's what it was meant to do. I would take your safe driving onstar reports in a sarcastic tone of just how bad you're driving your camaro by getting high "safe driving" scores.

... not saying to drive dangerous. but collecting bad scores according to onstar's definitions is not the same thing as driving dangerous.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:11 AM   #12
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Quote:
Originally Posted by stella16 View Post
is this an app? or part of your onstar plan? Is it included in what came with the car? or something that you added?

thanks
It's part of Onstar. You can login via onstar.com and see this stuff. Right now I'm still in my 12 month free trial of Onstar. Once its up I will most likely downgrade to a mid tier package so I will have theft support and remote options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye View Post
This hard acceleration thing is a joke. Today I left the house and went to two places and then back home. Called up my Smart Driver Report and it says I had 3 hard accelerations. One at 08:20 am , one at 08:54 and one at 09:25 am. I never had the car over 40 mph the whole time. It was all in town driving. AVG MPH was 29. I guess if you just touch the gas pedal it counts as a hard acceleration.
Yup, I think the smart driver apparently wants you to drive slower than an old Jewish lady searching for a bagel spot without her glasses on.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
nearwater

Drives: '17 2SS 50th
I went ahead and opted out of this stupid program.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #14
paul84043

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS RS 1LE
That Smart Driver screen looks like a whole bunch of "Challenge Accepted" to me.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote