Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-15-2016, 01:20 PM   #1
swagner

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
foam cleaner

So after watching the videos I'm going to get a power washer and the foam gun. But I shut off our outside water supply during winter because of freezing so I'm not going to get it until later. For anyone who drives there camaro through the winter is there a foam spray that is canned or something without the water supply? I can't seem to find one
swagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 01:33 PM   #2
LakeMich30

Drives: 5thgencamaro SS
Griotsgarage.com, use to carry a waterless car wash soap for washing in winter climates.
LakeMich30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
bigwayne3000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
No one makes a canned version of car wash to act like a foam cannon, that would either 1. be a huge can to do an entire car with or 2. you'd need a ton of them.... best option is to get some buckets, buy the air tight lids for them and go to a self wash station. $3 gets me like 5 minutes or something by me.

1.put $$$ in and power wash car
2. degrease wheels/soak/then clean them
3.put $$ in
4. power wash entire car/wheels/use the foam from the gun
5. foam will soak then use your normal 2 bucket wash method
6. put in more $$ and power wash off the car then most places have a spotless rinse which is supposed to be filtered water which I'd run that too to help minimize water spots
7. dry and detail like normal

by me the drive through is about $9 so for $3 more I just do it myself and not worry about possible scratches. One tip is I do this at night as I don't want to be that ahole who takes up a bay for a long period when others might need it. Also buy some rubber gloves to keep your hands from freezing since it is winter and all.

Here's a good video for what I am talking about. Also the options you see on this panel might differ from what your wash place has. Some places have a huge blow dryer which is nice but mine doesn't.
bigwayne3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:19 PM   #4
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Just put your 2 buckets in the trunk... take your soap, wash mitt/pad, tire and wheel cleaners/brushes, and drying towels to your nearby pay and spray. I also like to take Adams HGG. I'm going to dry the car anyway... may as well get a layer of protection on while I'm doing it.

Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, 3.91 gear, Eaton True-trac, DSS 1000hp axles.

Last edited by Joe M 2012 2SS; 01-15-2016 at 06:30 PM.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #5
bigwayne3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Just put your 2 buckets in the trunk... take your soap, wash mitt/pad, tire and wheel cleaners/brushes, and drying towels to your nearby pay and spray. I also like to take Adams HGG. I'm going to dry the car anyway... may as well get a layer of protection on while I'm doing it.

I see great minds think a like!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Shinebrightx

Drives: 2010 Camaro Z/LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post
No one makes a canned version of car wash to act like a foam cannon, that would either 1. be a huge can to do an entire car with or 2. you'd need a ton of them.... best option is to get some buckets, buy the air tight lids for them and go to a self wash station. $3 gets me like 5 minutes or something by me.

3.put $$ in
6. put in more $$ and power wash off the car then most places have a spotless rinse which is supposed to be filtered water which I'd run that too to help minimize water spots

by me the drive through is about $9 so for $3 more I just do it myself and not worry about possible scratches. One tip is I do this at night as I don't want to be that ahole who takes up a bay for a long period when others might need it. Also buy some rubber gloves to keep your hands from freezing since it is winter and all.

Here's a good video for what I am talking about. Also the options you see on this panel might differ from what your wash place has. Some places have a huge blow dryer which is nice but mine doesn't.
^^this
Shinebrightx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #7
HAMBO

Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwayne3000 View Post

3.put $$ in

I've been doing roughly this as well. Question though: I've read in a few places that the soap (and foam) at the coin-op places isn't Ph neutral and can strip LSPs. Anyone know whether there's any truth to that?
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:00 PM   #8
HAMBO

Just came across this:
http://www.autogeekmobile.net/kwazar...er-foamer.html

Might do the trick for those of us without access to a hose. Anyone use it before?
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square) with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's, GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
Botrod

Drives: 2012 Inferno Orange SS Vert
I've not used that particular pump sprayer but have used ones similar. The nozzles on mine don't make it foam, just kind of sprays is out. I've mixed up some Adams soap with water and used as a presoak. It worked but didn't foam up like I had hoped. It was enough to loosen the dirt and foamed up when I hit it with the hose at the pay and spray. I've often thought about rigging up a short piece of hose and clamp for the pay and spray wand that would attach my foam gun to it.
Botrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:10 PM   #10
HAMBO

Interesting. Well, might be something to try out if AG has a big sale. Wondering if bringing my own foam to the coin-op would be better than using their foam wand.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #11
HAMBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMBO View Post
I've been doing roughly this as well. Question though: I've read in a few places that the soap (and foam) at the coin-op places isn't Ph neutral and can strip LSPs. Anyone know whether there's any truth to that?
Still curious whether anyone has a view on this? Thanks
Old 01-26-2016, 10:51 AM   #12
rvnmaniac

Drives: 2012 M6 ZL1. 2019 Altima.07 FJR1300
Those type washes in my area normally have a sign saying NO Bucket Washing...
Old 01-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #13
bigwayne3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnmaniac View Post
Those type washes in my area normally have a sign saying NO Bucket Washing...
They all most likely do since it'd take up time from others trying to use the machines. This is why I go late at night. I work the overnight shift so I'm up anyway and typically not many people will be washing their cars at 2am so I don't have to worry about blocking someone.