Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 02-02-2016, 09:04 AM   #1
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
New Cadillac CT6 AWD Twin Turbo AW-Steering 3650 lbs

Wow, the tech on this new chassis is pretty interesting. If they adopt this into kind of tech into GM sports cars, things are going to get very interesting. Can you imagine this thing with an LT-4? In it's present form it's the size of an S-Class or 7 series, that's a huge car for 3650 lbs.

mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Supposedly a TTV8...
Old 02-02-2016, 09:32 AM   #3
ChefBorOzzy

Drives: 2016 F150
Yes, it's light, but it's 3,650 with RWD and the 2.0. The AWD 3.0TT is just a bit over 4,000 I believe, which is still very good.
ChefBorOzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:40 AM   #4
LesBaer
FMPG

Drives: 2016 2SS
I don't think GM has an AWD transmission that could reliably handle the torque (over a long period of time) from an LT4. AWD is also a tough sell in muscle/sports cars. It adds a ton of weight, cost and you lose a lot of power at the front trans axle.

Some cars allow you to disable it by pulling a fuse or through tuning device like a Diablo, but it would be the same as pulling the fuse. If stability control, traction control and ABS are tied to it, you'd lose literally everything...including control of your rear-end!
ARH 1 7/8" ceramic coated full sys w/NPP; Maggie 9.2psi (85mm); Jannetty rough idle cam(TSP), tune and LT4 fuel system; Forgeline VX1 Black PVD (20x10,11); R88R 315's; ALPriority; BMR rear arms, bushings, DS loop; RF intake (red); nGauge

93 octane: 712rwhp, 654rwtq / E85 (E66 mix): 734rwhp, 674rwtq (SuperFlow Dyno)
LesBaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #5
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesBaer View Post
I don't think GM has an AWD transmission that could reliably handle the torque (over a long period of time) from an LT4. AWD is also a tough sell in muscle/sports cars. It adds a ton of weight, cost and you lose a lot of power at the front trans axle.

Some cars allow you to disable it by pulling a fuse or through tuning device like a Diablo, but it would be the same as pulling the fuse. If stability control, traction control and ABS are tied to it, you'd lose literally everything...including control of your rear-end!
GM claims the AWD system in the CT6 can hold up to 958 lb ft of torque.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:54 AM   #6
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
No matter how you slice it, even being around 4,000 for the TT model...this car is considerably lighter than other similarly sized cars that it competes with.

I say that's thanks to the Omega platform, which turns up the dial on weight savings even further than Alpha does (at least, that's my understanding)

Just a wild guess, but 2 door, RWD car like the Camaro eventually settled on an Omega like chassis, what could we expect then? A base car at 3,000 to 3,200 pounds? An SS at 3,400 to 3,500 pounds?

Sounds pretty sweet to me, assuming it doesn't drive the cost through the roof. At this point in time, I'm sure it would.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
No matter how you slice it, even being around 4,000 for the TT model...this car is considerably lighter than other similarly sized cars that it competes with.

I say that's thanks to the Omega platform, which turns up the dial on weight savings even further than Alpha does (at least, that's my understanding)

Just a wild guess, but 2 door, RWD car like the Camaro eventually settled on an Omega like chassis, what could we expect then? A base car at 3,000 to 3,200 pounds? An SS at 3,400 to 3,500 pounds?

Sounds pretty sweet to me, assuming it doesn't drive the cost through the roof. At this point in time, I'm sure it would.
An SS only weighing 100 pounds more than a Corvette I guess its possible but I imagine that would make it cost a pretty penny
it has more power...its available power is like a set kof double Ds (no matter where your face is... theyre everywhere) it has the suspension to mame it matter...(
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:26 PM   #8
MEDISIN

Drives: 2011 CTS-V Sedan
Quote:
Highly unlikely. As I understood, Alpha is positioned as the small-midsize performance oriented platform, while Omega is the large to X-large luxury oriented platform. I don't believe Omega can scale down to Camaro size (110" wheelbase), I could be wrong. The CT6 (122" wheelbase) is supposed to be the smaller sedan to ride on Omega with plans for a larger sedan as well as a 7-passenger luxury crossover in the future.

Another example - the Buick Avista concept rides on Alpha and has a 110" wheelbase. The Avenir concept is CT6 sized and rides on Omega.

The better question is, what would an Omega based Chevelle weigh...(think Challenger's 116" wheelbase)

"Not giving a f*^k is truly the greatest luxury, and no luxury car gives fewer f*^k's than a CTS-V." - Matt Hardigree
MEDISIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:30 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
Highly unlikely. As I understood, Alpha is positioned as the small-midsize performance oriented platform, while Omega is the large to X-large luxury oriented platform. I don't believe Omega can scale down to Camaro size (110" wheelbase), I could be wrong. The CT6 (122" wheelbase) is supposed to be the smaller sedan to ride on Omega with plans for a larger sedan as well as a 7-passenger luxury crossover in the future.

Another example - the Buick Avista concept rides on Alpha and has a 110" wheelbase. The Avenir concept is CT6 sized and rides on Omega.

The better question is, what would an Omega based Chevelle weigh...(think Challenger's 116" wheelbase)
You are right...Omega is not designed for the small-midsize segment.

All my comment was, was just something based on "what ifs". That's it. It was not based on any truths.

But Omega is widely different than Alpha, or other platforms GM is currently using.

My "what if" was simply to say, what if they build an Omega-small for smaller cars. What could the weight be then?

But currently, I'm guessing the platform would be too expensive for use on non-premium vehicles.
Old 02-02-2016, 12:34 PM   #10
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Yeah Omega is for large sized wheelbases, Alpha right now is perfect for the Camaro, Alpha can a little smaller as what is in the ATS, but you would really lose room inside though!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 12:35 PM   #11
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
Weight reduction is going to start becoming huge, as newer materials and technologies come about...and especially with these stupid new CAFE standards that are going to be impossible to meet in the next few years!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
You are right...Omega is not designed for the small-midsize segment.

All my comment was, was just something based on "what ifs". That's it. It was not based on any truths.

But Omega is widely different than Alpha, or other platforms GM is currently using.

My "what if" was simply to say, what if they build an Omega-small for smaller cars. What could the weight be then?

But currently, I'm guessing the platform would be too expensive for use on non-premium vehicles.
Omega weighs what it does in part because it builds on the lessons learned when doing Alpha. Likewise, I'm sure that Alpha II (or whatever the future CT2 & CT4 will use ... ugh, I still hate the new naming scheme) is going to further build on what was done with Omega. Some of the techniques used are expensive, sure such as this magnificent casting:

but on the other hand, if one complex part replaces the assembly of several smaller parts the net difference isn't quite as big. Plus, look at the big picture. Building on previous knowledge (or better yet, recycling it) the costs are substantially less than what it took the first time around.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote