Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #1
SS_Killer

Drives: 2010LSM6
CEL at 90,000.0 mi??

Driving home from work today noticed a check engine light. The ODO (coincidentally?) showed 90,004 mi. Pulled into the toll road gas station and called my service department and asked if the Silver 6 is programed to CEL at 90,000. An old Cherokee of mine was programed to CEL at something like 30K intervals. The service writer said no, but he was not my usual guy. Takin' her in tomorrow morning for a read.

Anybody else see a CEL on your LLT's 90th birthday?
Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 AM   #2
10RsCamaro
Slow v6

Drives: Automatic Automobile
Send a message via Skype™ to 10RsCamaro
Haha i drive mine everyday, for the last 2 1/2 years and just hit 30k! It's going to take a lot of time for me to hit that

I do not think many people drive that much, so its going to be hard to find someone else that is at that bench mark. Good luck at the dealership!
10RsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #3
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
If its a P0008 you got the dreaded timing chain stretch.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCool5 View Post
If its a P0008 you got the dreaded timing chain stretch.
Yup.

I'd try to get to the dealer within the next 10,000 miles
Old 02-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
SS_Killer

Dealer says its P2099 and that there is too much O2 in the exhaust. The mechanic checked for too much alcohol in the fuel, he checked for exhaust system leaks as well. The mechanic wants to to an electrical check on the injectors (which will have to be next week) to see if any of them are not delivering the correct amount of fuel. The engine needs to be cold, so I'm going back home.

He suggested that a weak injector might cause a lean condition in the effected cylinder and that I should not wait long. Looks like I'll drop her off on Wednesday for a proper check out.

Thanks to all of you who responded.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #6
DJ ATOMIX
<< CRAZY BEE >>

Drives: 400HP 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_Killer View Post
Driving home from work today noticed a check engine light. The ODO (coincidentally?) showed 90,004 mi. Pulled into the toll road gas station and called my service department and asked if the Silver 6 is programed to CEL at 90,000. An old Cherokee of mine was programed to CEL at something like 30K intervals. The service writer said no, but he was not my usual guy. Takin' her in tomorrow morning for a read.

90000mi is your 125000km warranty service checkin period. This is actually stated right in the manual of Canadian Camaro owners so this would be 90000 miles for you.

With that said, this is an important check in period for you as the delearship will replace ALL your belts, flush the transmission, change trans fluid, change oil, test battery and greese joints to get the car back to the 1st day you purchased it.

I think this was a good move on Chevys part in insuring your car wont leave you stranded one day on the side of the highway because you failed to get the simple things all switched out.

I'm not sure of the cost thou, I would check with your delearship. I am gonna take a random random guess it would be around $500 minimum. A lot of labour work involved here.

EDIT: After researching this further, some dealerships have different requirements for km/mi routine maintenance. Some are 62'500 / 125'000 / 187'500 / 240'000km and others are 40'000 / 80'000 / 120'000 / 160'000...

Regardless, at 125000km, its time to take care of potential worn out parts (especially belts).

Shaun

CRAZY BEE - IOM 2LT/RS (more)
Cosmetic Mods - 24 | Performance Mods - 14
ROTO-FAB CAI - DT HEADERS - CUSTOM 3-INCH PIPE EXHAUST - RES DEL - R-CATS DEL - MAGNAFLOW RES X-PIPE - 91 OCTANE TUNE - FULL ADM KIT - PORTED IM - PORTED TB - PORTED CH - BLACK 3/8 ISOLATOR - TRIFECTA TUNED
DJ ATOMIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
SS_Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ ATOMIX View Post
90000mi is your 125000km warranty service checkin period. This is actually stated right in the manual of Canadian Camaro owners so this would be 90000 miles for you.

With that said, this is an important check in period for you as the delearship will replace ALL your belts, flush the transmission, change trans fluid, change oil, test battery and greese joints to get the car back to the 1st day you purchased it.

I think this was a good move on Chevys part in insuring your car wont leave you stranded one day on the side of the highway because you failed to get the simple things all switched out.

I'm not sure of the cost thou, I would check with your delearship. I am gonna take a random random guess it would be around $500 minimum. A lot of labour work involved here.

EDIT: After researching this further, some dealerships have different requirements for km/mi routine maintenance. Some are 62'500 / 125'000 / 187'500 / 240'000km and others are 40'000 / 80'000 / 120'000 / 160'000...

Regardless, at 125000km, its time to take care of potential worn out parts (especially belts).

Shaun
Your response is appreciated. Maintenance is up to date although I agree that it is probably time for a new belt and antifreeze. I also need to install a catch can. The only reason I haven't so far is that the Silver 6 looses almost no oil. At most she has needed only about 1/2 quart between oil changes, which for me average about 7,500 mi.

I replaced the plugs with OEM-style Autolites at 88,000 mi and replaced the manual trans fluid with Royal Purple 90W gear oil last year. My dealer flushed and replaced the brake fluid with DOT 4 about 6 mo ago and also changed the diff gear oil.

This is the first CEL the car has displayed unless you want to count the one when I forgot to plug in the MAF sensor after installing the K&N CAI. Oops.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

Let us know how your service appointment goes. We are here if you have any questions.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-06-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:

I had one of those Cherokee's too!!! (that is all... LOL)
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
I got a the CEL on at the moment every now and then for the timing chain problem, i plan on taking it in right after my car is parked for winter.. boooooooo, but oh well, atleast its common, and hope they have a good replacement.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
BaylorCamaro
Track > 1/4 Mile

Drives: 2016 C7 Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcer View Post
I got a the CEL on at the moment every now and then for the timing chain problem, i plan on taking it in right after my car is parked for winter.. boooooooo, but oh well, atleast its common, and hope they have a good replacement.
Ahhh dang that sucks. How often do you change your oil? Do you use full synthetic?

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy S III using telekinesis.
BaylorCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:15 PM   #12
Forcer

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
yea full synthetic, i got 47k on the car, i change my oil at every 15% warning.
Forcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #13
SS_Killer

Latest on the 90,000 CEL

My dealer mechanic checked the injectors and sent the readings to GM. Apparently they were OK, because he said GM asked him to try a new intake manifold gasket next. Apparently those are hard to come by because it has been several days and has not yet come in. This is Day 7 on the open service ticket.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #14
SS_Killer

CEL at 90,000

Quote:

Latest and greatest today. Dealer Services says the car is done (dropped it off again last night). GM told them to replace the exhaust manifold gasket(s). Service writer just called to say that the gasket on the left side was bad and that its replacement cured the P2099 error code. The Silver 6 is ready for pickup (sans CEL)!