Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Phastek Performance

Old 09-05-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
GM body trim tab/tang/post removal

GM body trim tab/tang/post removal

Wanting to remove 90% of the trim on my wagon.
But even the smallest section on the rear door has 8-10 of those tiny metal post in the body that holds the plastic tabs it snaps into.

Tried to snip one off but it just pulled out, which left a tiny hole. don't want 1000 tiny holes to fill.

Then tried to use a cutoff wheel real careful but only a tiny slip and you got a big grove in the metal and with about a 1000 of them to remove I don't think that will work.

hacksaw just made tons of scratches.

Is there any other tips or trick to it???

Its not like its a show car, removing most of the trim so I can hose it down with black primer and evil it out more, more black, more skulls, fm104 stickers for the rust holes.

2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
Since you're going to paint it, why not just pull the trim off, use the cutoff wheel to cut off the posts, then stick them right back in the same hole you just pulled them out of? Put a little super glue, trim adhesive, or similar epoxy on them. That will fill the holes. You could put a little filler over them and smooth it out a bit too, just to clean it up some, then when you paint the whole thing, they shouldn't show.

May not be ideal, but it would be easier and probably cheaper than "properly repairing 1000 little holes".

Good luck.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
The other thing you could do it mask off the window, headlights, taillights, etc, and just pain the trim....a lot of cars have black trim all over them, why not leave it and paint it....would be a lot easier than trying to fill the holes.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
might hafta try a dremil

trying to avoid the urge to sand or fill any holes, scratches or grind markes, as with 100s of them in a straight lines down the body, it would stand out if I left them as such. But then why fix that area and not others, like the few spots I got body rust and have no plans for being fixed.

As if it wasn't a full frame car it would of fallin apart by now.
most of the cowl is rusted out, most of the floors are gone,
spray foam and caulk keep the water out.

Though I could never part with it, I luv my wagon.
Its my 18sec pleasure yhatt.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote