Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 09-05-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
BlueRayLFX

Drives: BRM 2LT RS "Mara"
2004 mercedes SL500 (stock) vs 2013 camaro 2LT RS

So my mom just bought a 2004 mercedes SL500. Haven't driven it yet, so no personal experience but she has driven my camaro, and says her feels faster. Hers is fully stock v8. Mine is full bolt on v6 (intake, cats, exhaust, manifold spacer, and soon:ported manifold and tune). So in a hypothetical drag/autoX race, who wins?
I would love to take mine to the strip/track (I haven't yet) but I know for a fact she won't put hers there lol. So unfortunately no real results will be had lol
BlueRayLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 05:31 PM   #2
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
You'd win in the 1/4. 0-60 hard to say.

But that's only because it's the 2004. 5.0L V8 and 5 speed auto. Ratios kinda suck and it only makes like 302hp 340ftlbs.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:13 PM   #3
BlueRayLFX

Yea. I was thinking that I had the advantage in the 1/4mile simply because it's a 2004. My moms logic was v8>v6 which is obviously not always true lol.
I'll have to give it a whirl to see what her hype is about lol
I must say, I love the fact that it's a hard top convertible. If the camaros came in hard top converts I would have gone that way for sure.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
They do 0-60 in the low 6s and a the 1/4 in the low/mid 14s

Advantage you, but not by much
Old 09-05-2014, 07:06 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRayLFX View Post
Yea. I was thinking that I had the advantage in the 1/4mile simply because it's a 2004. My moms logic was v8>v6 which is obviously not always true lol.
I'll have to give it a whirl to see what her hype is about lol
I must say, I love the fact that it's a hard top convertible. If the camaros came in hard top converts I would have gone that way for sure.
Yes, that exactly is why I love running into pre-2010 Mustang GT's...
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
Old 09-06-2014, 01:14 AM   #6
BlueRayLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Yes, that exactly is why I love running into pre-2010 Mustang GT's...
Haha yea that's the best feeling seeing peoples faces that think "oh just a v6?" Then get walked haha.
I've told this story a few times on this site before, but my buddy has an 09 charger RT (non road/track package) and he laughed when I said I got a v6 camaro saying he would kick my ass. Boy was he surprised when I'm pulling away on the highway and he can't keep up
Old 09-06-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
DSX_Camaro

Those R/T's have nothing on us! They have 50hp more but only 5 gears (if automatic) and they weigh a whopping 500-600lbs more than we do!
Old 09-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #8
jcsuddre

Drives: 2016 black 2 ss
The advantage goes to you . The 5th gen sl does not look that fast now but back in 2001 when it came out it was pretty quick . If your mom would of got the new sl550 or the 63/65 variants even a zl1 would lose (vs 63/65 amg ) In straight line
jcsuddre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #9
BlueRayLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsuddre View Post
The advantage goes to you . The 5th gen sl does not look that fast now but back in 2001 when it came out it was pretty quick . If your mom would of got the new sl550 or the 63/65 variants even a zl1 would lose (vs 63/65 amg ) In straight line
The reason she got the sl500 is because she traded in her 89 vette (in terrible condition) for what they had on the lot. She just wanted a convertible, and that's what they had. Personally I would have kept the vette, but she says her restoring cars days are over. She just wants "cute" and convertible now lol. Vette was nice, but ran really rough, sometimes didn't start, interior was ripping everywhere, and the convertible top (manual) didn't latch on right all the time. Ill miss that vette tho. Drove that car to high school homecoming! Lol
Old 09-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #10
BlueRayLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSX_Camaro View Post
Those R/T's have nothing on us! They have 50hp more but only 5 gears (if automatic) and they weigh a whopping 500-600lbs more than we do!
Yea they're dogs lol. They pull harder (barely) at take off. But as soon as we switch gears... Ssssseeee yaaa! Lol. I have a bunch if bolt ons an will soon get a tune. I'm just pulling further and further away. When I was stock he could only pull about half a car lengths away at most while merging on highway or going down long back roads. Lol
Old 09-06-2014, 11:35 AM   #11
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Even I admit 100% that a stock V6 5th gen will destroy a stock Mustang up to 2010 without much of an issue. You should pretty take the sl as well op. Shit I walked a stock 08 gt stang in my '13 hyundai genesis 3.8 6 speed track coupe before I sold it a few months ago, thats pathetic lol.
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #12
BlueRayLFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
Even I admit 100% that a stock V6 5th gen will destroy a stock Mustang up to 2010 without much of an issue. You should pretty take the sl as well op. Shit I walked a stock 08 gt stang in my '13 hyundai genesis 3.8 6 speed track coupe before I sold it a few months ago, thats pathetic lol.
Haha unfortunately I haven't seen any older mustangs. But yea these 6s are a lot quicker than others give them credit for. Then add the bolt ons and it's pretty quick. Much quicker than the 2000 dodge Durango that I traded in for the camaro! Lol
Old 09-06-2014, 06:52 PM   #13
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
As much as I love hearing about 5th gen V6s taking down 05 - 09 Mustang GTs, which does happen, the fact is that overall the GT should be a bit quicker, especially from a dig. The best chance for the Camaro V6 is that its modded, versus a mostly stock GT, and rolling....not from a dig.

If these 5th gens were the same weight as those generation of Mustangs, yes the new V6 would be walking the GT all the time.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
evilstevie

Drives: 2022 RBM 2SS 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrenger View Post
As much as I love hearing about 5th gen V6s taking down 05 - 09 Mustang GTs, which does happen, the fact is that overall the GT should be a bit quicker, especially from a dig. The best chance for the Camaro V6 is that its modded, versus a mostly stock GT, and rolling....not from a dig.

If these 5th gens were the same weight as those generation of Mustangs, yes the new V6 would be walking the GT all the time.
And if Dodge Omni's came with a 600 hp twin turbo....oh wait, they didn't.

Those 05-09 Mustang 4.6's did 0-60 in low 5's, and the 1/4 in mid to high 13's. Good luck "destroying" that in a v6 Camaro that's anything close to stock.
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._handling.html
evilstevie is offline   Reply With Quote