Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 07-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #1
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Any computer geeks here?

I am having problems with my Dell Studio XPS 7100 desktop. When I try to start the computer often I get nothing but the sound of a fan running continuous. The monitor power indicator light never changes from yellow to green. If I power off / on a few times eventually it will start at the prompt to begin in safe mode.

Today while browsing the screen just went blank and no luck with on/off restart. Does anyone have any ideas what this may be? Is it worth repairing or should I just replace it?
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Sounds like your CPU is overheating or has become detached from the heat sink.

Pretty common in the older dell computers, you can get some thermal paste from radio shack, remove the fan shroud and unscrew the heat sink screws on the motherboard, remove the heat sink, clean the bottom of it with rubbing alcohol and if need use a razor blade to scrape off all the old thermal paste.

Clean the paste off the CPU as well, but don't scrape with a blade, to remove the CPU look for a bar that lifts or a screw that turns 1/4 turn, either of these will unlock and release the CPU.

Be sure when you do it that you are grounded, that means not on a carpet, shoes on, feet on floor, then hold the chassis of the computer so that you are touching the same ground point the CPU does. You can leave the computer plugged it, but be careful not to power it up during the process.

After you have removed and cleaned the heat sink, replace the CPU, put a dab of thermal paste on it, do not over do it or goop it up, then reseat the heat sink.

Here is a YouTube on the basics of how to do it.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=trNQynvFjSU

They use some various cleaning chemicals, but I have found rubbing alcohol works just fine, don't use any type of linty towels, coffee filters work great and don't pour anything on the parts but rather put the alcohol on the towel/filter and use some elbow grease to scrub it off.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Mr. iNCREDIBLE's suggestion would be my guess too.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Envy
Bully Proof

Drives: C5 COTW 1/31/2011
After reading through that novel...lol...I'm thinkin' it's time for a new one.
Old 07-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Are we sure this is a computer issue and not a monitor issue? The couple times I've run into a over heat issue, the computer completely shut itself off but he said the screen just went blank.
Mr_Draco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Sounds like the video card could be on its way out. It looks like the 7100 comes with a dedicated video card, so what I would do is remove the video card from the computer, take the black plug off that covers the onboard DVI connector, plug the monitor to that DVI connector, turn on the computer and see if you get a signal. The onboard video card is disabled until your remove the dedicated video card.

If the processor is overheating, typically the whole computer should power off. An overheating processor is much more common in an older laptop than a desktop.

To remove the video card follow these steps.
  1. Move your PC to an open desk or the kitchen table. Preferable away from carpet.
  2. Take off the side panel on the left side of the tower.
  3. Touch the computer case at almost all times to prevent a static discharge on the components.
  4. Now the tricky part, I've never worked on a Dell like this, but here's a picture of the inside

It looks like there's two screws holding the black plastic support on the right side of the video card (the video card says ATI Radeon on it), you'll probably have to remove those. Now, it looks like there's a metal bracket that sits above the expansion slots on the back of the tower. You'll have to figure out how to remove that. There should be a single (maybe two) screw(s) underneath that to hold the video card in place. Remove the screw(s).
  5. There should be a little white lever lock on the end of the PCI-Express slot, this is where the video card connects to the motherboard. You can see that in this picture, the long black slot with a little white lever lock on the end.

http://www.partsguy.net/img-gk1k2.jpg

You should be able to press down on that lever lock to release the video card.
  6. Now gently pull the video card out and disconnect the supplement power cables that are plugged into the one end of the video card. Place the card on the table, be careful not to touch the golden contacts on the bottom of the card. Also be sure to touch the computer case before you pick up the card again.
  7. Connect your monitor to the onboard DVI connector (long white connector) on the motherboard, plug in the keyboard, mouse and finally power. Power it on and see if you get a video signal. If you don't, we know the issue lies somewhere else. If you do get a signal, the issue is the video card.