Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-15-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
22%

So i have I believe up to 65k or 2 years to have free oil and air filter changes on my car by the dealer. I called them up since I have about 5500 miles on the car or so to get my oil changed. They said they don't change it until the oil is at 22%. Do you change it by the % or the number of miles you have traveled? I know Mercedes and some other vehicles don't have oil changed until it reaches about 10k miles.

Should I do it myself or just wait a little longer until it reaches 22%

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
i always went by miles. but with syn. oil u can go alot longer

check out ky speeds fb page https://www.facebook.com/kyspeed
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Definitely check the oil level every 3k miles

I get mine done between 20 and 30% usually closer to 30% and that translates to 8 to 10k miles
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #4
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Your signature says you have a 2010 2LT/RS so that means you have the LLT V6. I believe the timing chain on those cars is more sensitive to oil quality. You don't say what your % is now or the type of driving you do (city/highway) so it is hard to give good advice. If you have pure synthetic you may be good to 7,500 miles, but I don't know that I would go any more than that before an oil change. If you don't have pure synthetic or don't know for sure then you might want to change it yourself as a precaution. I would look through the LLT sub-forum for more specific guidance from others with your same engine.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
NJBourne23
Master of Nothings

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark114 View Post
Your signature says you have a 2010 2LT/RS so that means you have the LLT V6. I believe the timing chain on those cars is more sensitive to oil quality. You don't say what your % is now or the type of driving you do (city/highway) so it is hard to give good advice. If you have pure synthetic you may be good to 7,500 miles, but I don't know that I would go any more than that before an oil change. If you don't have pure synthetic or don't know for sure then you might want to change it yourself as a precaution. I would look through the LLT sub-forum for more specific guidance from others with your same engine.

Thanks. At the time I was at 35% or so and now at 20% but arranged to have the oil done next week. I don't like that they force me to wait to a certain percentage. I asked if i could get full synthetic and they said it's only for SS cars and higher!?!?! I see reasoning behind that but shouldn't they put good oil in all their engines? I asked what the difference would be in oil types so i could pay the difference and they said that it was about a $60 difference. WTF! I nicely said that I can get full synthetic oil myself at auto zone pay only about $10-$15 different than regular oil. Either way! I mostly drive long highway miles about 150 a day during the week and once in a while 100 miles or so on the weekend but usually i'm a bum and only travel local if needed.

I think i may need to continue changing my own in the future. I prefer it anyway but was hoping that Chevy would be a bunch of cheap asses at this dealership but i think i can be wrong….

2010 Chevrolet Camaro 2LT/RS
NJBourne23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 PM   #6
White_SS/RS

Drives: 14 1LE
I think the oil life meter is good to go by. It's calculated by many different variables, including the type of driving(short/long trips). Some cars will reach 0% oil life much faster than than others based off those calculations.

Also note that the oil life meter is programmed for the type of oil the car was intended to use, ie synthetic or conventional. Using synthetic when the oil life is calculating for a conventional will give you an inaccurate percentage.

I personally change it myself and I have the free changes from the dealer as well. I just don't trust them to actually do it right unless I am watching to see what oil actually goes in. For all I know they say it's synthetic and it's not just so they can save a dollar. Maybe I'm paranoid but I wouldn't put it past anyone changing my oil.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:50 PM   #7
F-16 Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Black
I got by my DIC. At 33% right now. I intend to get the oil changed anytime after 15% to coincide with a dealer special.

Also I'm at about 9500 miles since last oil change.
F-16 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #8
ka1

Drives: 2011 2SS
This makes me feel better. The dealership did the same to me. I was at 65% after about 5000 miles and was paranoid. Until they finally changed it at about 40%
ka1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:42 AM   #9
Eddiefuzz

Drives: 2011 RS
PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR OIL AT EVERY FILL UP! The V-6 burns alot of oil and just because the Oil Life Gauge is still high, that doesn't mean the oil level is. BTW Njbourne, you can do a Full Synthetic Oil change with filter yourself, for about $35 in 20 minutes with an adjustable wrench, ramps and an oil catch tray. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Eddiefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
redredrage

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS manual all stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiefuzz View Post
PLEASE REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR OIL AT EVERY FILL UP! The V-6 burns alot of oil and just because the Oil Life Gauge is still high, that doesn't mean the oil level is. BTW Njbourne, you can do a Full Synthetic Oil change with filter yourself, for about $35 in 20 minutes with an adjustable wrench, ramps and an oil catch tray. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
I'm willing to bet most v6 failures are caused by oil level. they really should put a level sensor in cars to warn people when they are 3\4 low.
redredrage is offline   Reply With Quote