Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-06-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Texbow

Drives: 2013 SS
Improved Ride

I started to post this in the suspension threads but noticed most of the questions were slanted towards ride improvements for the track. My question is are their any mods or upgrades that can happen to really improve the ride for normal highway use? I realize the Camaro is not a Cadillac but if I could smooth out the ride for normal freeway use it would be nice. I also realize that a lot of you younger guys are wondering what the heck I'm talking about and might actually enjoy the ride characteristics of your stock Camaro. I myself would rather float down the highway. I know the rubber band wrapped around the wheels are not helping much either. Just curious if there was a solution to improve the ride, better shocks, air suspension etc.

Thanks
Texbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Many people, including myself, think the stock suspension rides too soft. A quality set of drop springs stiffen it up just right. Like you said, this isn't a Caddy. It's not suppose to "float" down the road. If you want an even softer suspension, bagging it would probably help. I'm thinking someone is fixing to release adjustable shocks for our cars but not sure when. There's a thread about it in the suspension section but not sure it's title. You could go into that section and click on the "search this forum" button on the right. Then type in different variations of adjustable shocks.

A taller tire may help as well. Something with a little more sidewall would lessen the bumps.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #3
SS PANTHER

Drives: 2013 SS Supercharged Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Many people, including myself, think the stock suspension rides too soft. A quality set of drop springs stiffen it up just right. Like you said, this isn't a Caddy. It's not suppose to "float" down the road. If you want an even softer suspension, bagging it would probably help. I'm thinking someone is fixing to release adjustable shocks for our cars but not sure when. There's a thread about it in the suspension section but not sure it's title. You could go into that section and click on the "search this forum" button on the right. Then type in different variations of adjustable shocks.

A taller tire may help as well. Something with a little more sidewall would lessen the bumps.
SS PANTHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
rebelyell22

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS LS3
coilovers might help
rebelyell22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
hunter1660

Drives: 2011ss/rs camaro
It's rides like a Cadillac now,don't think so? Go for a ride in a mustang.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
kevinw

Drives: 2013 Black 2 LT vert
i think the SS is harsher ride than the LT. i notice iit when i test drove both cars.
kevinw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinw View Post
i think the SS is harsher ride than the LT. i notice iit when i test drove both cars.
True, Ive had both. Prefer the SS alot more. Softer you might as well get a caddy, an older one.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Buy a ZL1 and put it in Tour mode. That's about the best you'll get.

Coilovers may help too, but that' about it.
Old 11-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texbow View Post
I started to post this in the suspension threads but noticed most of the questions were slanted towards ride improvements for the track. My question is are their any mods or upgrades that can happen to really improve the ride for normal highway use? I realize the Camaro is not a Cadillac but if I could smooth out the ride for normal freeway use it would be nice. I also realize that a lot of you younger guys are wondering what the heck I'm talking about and might actually enjoy the ride characteristics of your stock Camaro. I myself would rather float down the highway. I know the rubber band wrapped around the wheels are not helping much either. Just curious if there was a solution to improve the ride, better shocks, air suspension etc.

Thanks
Your best bet is probably going to be to make a -1 or even a -2 tire size swap part of your solution.

IOW, drop down to 19's or 18's with taller profile tires to make up the diameter. You will need to make sure that the smaller diameter wheels will clear your brakes - the calipers need to not hit the spokes or the inside diameter of the "barrels" of the wheels.

275/45-19's, 245/50-19's, and 245/55-18's will all ride better than 245/45-20's and 275/40-20's. The 19's have about half an inch more sidewall and the 18's about an inch more sidewall than the 20's. You may have difficulty finding 245/50-19's and 275/45-19's in the same tire model, so I think you should plan on getting all four tires in the same size and all four wheels in the same width. "Square" in current wheel & tire setup slang.

If you rarely carry rear seat passengers or much stuff in the trunk, you can usually run your tire pressures a psi or two below what a fully loaded vehicle would require, or use the lightly loaded pressures if such information is available.

I'd suggest Sensa Trak shocks & struts except I don't think they have a 2013 Camaro fitment yet (and even if they did exist, they may allow the body to move around on the suspension too much as they start to wear).

I don't think I've ever ridden in a car that had too firm of a highway ride (and for Hunter's benefit my Mustang is not even close to the firmest car I've owned and driven daily). Full retirement age is less than a week away . . .

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:31 AM   #10
knowitman
Camaro fan since birth

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Buy a ZL1 and put it in Tour mode. That's about the best you'll get.
That is what I was going to say.
knowitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM   #11
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Magnetic Ride is AWESOME! That is all.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
I'm quite happy with the ride of my '13 SS. Somewhere between Firm (but not stiff) and soft (but not squishy). Just right, IMO.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #13
wakespeak

Drives: 2020 ZL1 1LE
Soft springs and firm shocks used to be the Mercedes recipe, probably still is.

You could also try smaller sway bars from the V-6 or 2010-2011 SS. Almost hurt to write that....
wakespeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 PM   #14
Texbow

Drives: 2013 SS
Thanks guys. My car is not so rough that I would go with more rubber on the wheel. I was hoping that I could improve (feel less of the road) with improved shocks or something.
Texbow is offline   Reply With Quote