Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-01-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
jph2275

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM
Roughly 6-700 $$ to spend on mods, any ideas???

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 2SS/RS M6 with

- England green dyno tune
- straight pipe exhaust
- vararam "tune model" intake
- lsr short throw shifter

Link to my dyno sheet
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=203967

391.5 TQ
386.7 HP

My best 1/4 time after mods was 13.6 @109 mph. Granted my 60' was like a 2.1 or 2.2 and I over revved from 1-2 and 2-3 (I know Very hot/humid evening. First run of the night before track basically shut down for the entire night due to a diesel truck wrecking. Yes i know, DRIVER MOD. I'm embarrassed to post such a sh***y time but it's all I've got to work with).

My question is how can I squeeze more power out of my motor with another 6-700$$ to spend? I seriously should spend it on driving lessons lol but I feel like that was an anti-hero run I posted above, I believe I'm a much better driver than that.

Headers?
Pulley?
Thermostat?
Drag wheels/tires?

I'm willing to work on a budget, and I'm ready for my car to run faster. Any ideas/help is appreciated.

Also, question # 2

Is my car making good HP/TQ with the mods I have? How fast should my car be running with randy pobst behind the wheel?

A thousand thank yous

Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
3.91's, TSP Longtubes, SWG Tune, Vararam, and a heavy foot
jph2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM   #2
B1976

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (ReallySpecial)
Long tube headers.
B1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
I've heard headers really wake up the SS, and as for driving, I'm more of an amateur than you are, but I think all that is needed is just more runs and more experience.

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
I would recommend some long tube headers for sure. You won't find a better bang for your buck mod besides nitrous. A good set of headers can produce up to 35-40 rwhp with a proper tune. You won't find another bolt on that makes that kind of power. Give us a call and we can help you pick out a set up that works great in your budget.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
I would go with driving lessons, then Long tube headers, but then you would need to put mufflers on or it would be loud.

I don't think your HP and torque are good. I am almost 400HP with the Vararam and SLP loud Mouth I axlebacks
Old 08-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaveacamaro View Post
I've heard headers really wake up the SS, and as for driving, I'm more of an amateur than you are, but I think all that is needed is just more runs and more experience.
Seems to be that headers are the general consensus thus far

I agree with experience ... More time at royal purple raceway for sure

Quote:
As long as it has enough horsepower, I don't really care if it's a 4, a 6, an 8, or a 10.
And I don't really car how they make the horsepower, whether it a Turbo, supercharged or just a whole lot of hamsters.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #7
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
I would go with driving lessons, then Long tube headers, but then you would need to put mufflers on or it would be loud.

I don't think your HP and torque are good. I am almost 400HP with the Vararam and SLP loud Mouth I axlebacks
Hmm .... Makes me wonder if my straight pipes are hurting me.

We have for the most part similar mods except exhaust and tune, but I don't think a tune on a M6 car ads *that* much more power on a more stockish car

I'm close to 400 ... Hope my motor wasn't built on Friday at 4:30 pm :(

Quote:
Old 08-01-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
Hmm .... Makes me wonder if my straight pipes are hurting me.

We have for the most part similar mods except exhaust and tune, but I don't think a tune on a M6 car ads *that* much more power on a more stockish car

I'm close to 400 ... Hope my motor wasn't built on Friday at 4:30 pm :(
Believe it or not a tune can and could be the issue.
Do you still have your cats on? if not, then I believe that could be your issue along with a possible improper tune, depending on who did it.

Box tunes are ok for the most part, but every car is different and to get the most out your car, it should be tuned on a dyno with Air/Fuel readings.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #9
Birm

Drives: Florida Speed & Power
LongTube Headers hands down.
Birm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Believe it or not a tune can and could be the issue.
Do you still have your cats on? if not, then I believe that could be your issue along with a possible improper tune, depending on who did it.

Box tunes are ok for the most part, but every car is different and to get the most out your car, it should be tuned on a dyno with Air/Fuel readings.
I had a dyno tune performed by England green, a local/reputable shop that I believe vararam works with ...

My dyno graph is linked at top .... And the only alteration to the exhaust is muffler delete so I'm still

Quote:
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #11
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birm View Post
LongTube Headers hands down.
Keeps sounding like the winner.

Anyone try the vararam spacer?

Quote:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:03 AM   #12
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Long tubes with high flow cats. It'll run you more than $600, but it's a good mod.

I wouldn't be too worried about your dyno numbers. It's really only for tuning. Sometimes they are totally wrong. There was a recent thread where someone thought they were putting down 415+ to the wheels with just an intake and exhaust, on an L99.

Looks like your trap speed is 109 mph. With better 60' times, better air and more practice, you'd probably be in the 12s...especially with headers.

There are a lot of believers in the Vararam spacer, but I'm not buying into all the hype, yet.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:15 AM   #13
jph2275

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.T. View Post
Long tubes with high flow cats. It'll run you more than $600, but it's a good mod.

I wouldn't be too worried about your dyno numbers. It's really only for tuning. Sometimes they are totally wrong. There was a recent thread where someone thought they were putting down 415+ to the wheels with just an intake and exhaust, on an L99.

Looks like your trap speed is 109 mph. With better 60' times, better air and more practice, you'd probably be in the 12s...especially with headers.

There are a lot of believers in the Vararam spacer, but I'm not buying into all the hype, yet.
Good to hear about the numbers

You're right, more practice and better launches. I am going to try that gm launch control next time i'm at the track.

And damn, I always just went catless with an off road y pipe and had the cats tuned out lol but now I live in houston, not bfe were they'd look the other way and pass my inspection .... oh well

Quote:
Old 08-01-2012, 11:23 AM   #14
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph2275 View Post
Keeps sounding like the winner.

Anyone try the vararam spacer?
I have thought about the spacer, but am not convinced yet.... not skeptic, just not convinced yet.....

I looked at your dyno, the big difference is I gained 21HP just bolting on the Vararam. Then I had BSP tune it for a few more. It looks like you only got about 12 or so HP.

Did they have fans blowing into the intake when they dyno'd? if they didn't, then your A/F could be improperly set for actually road use, know what I mean?