Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #1
G8DUDE

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Utility of Gen 6 Camaro?

This car seems like a no brainer for my next ride in terms of performance for the price and looks. I'm ready for something smaller, lighter, faster, than my G8 with a better interior and decent gas mileage which this Camaro has all of the above. The Gen 5 Camaro was nice enough regarding looks and performance, but I hated that interior and the car was roughly the same size as my G8 which has a nicer interior. To the point, I have 2 young kids ages 2.5 and 5 that I regularly shuffle between daycare and school, the wife and I share the caravanning duties. On the weekends, we pretty much always have the family in our Honda Pilot so the kids are only in my car on weekdays and usually just 1 at a time. So basically, I will actually be using the back seat.

Also, I'm an avid golfer and a set of clubs look they might be a tight fit and hard to maneuver with the small trunk and tiny trunk opening. For those that have seen the car in person, does the car look like it's OK for transporting little people in the back without too much trouble and will the trunk accommodate a set of golf clubs without having to open the fold down? Thanks for any insight anyone has. The other cars I'm debating are the V2 cts-v, ats-v sedan after the prices come down, and the Chevy SS but it's really just a G8 chassis with LS3 engine and better interior.
G8DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:08 AM   #2
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
When my wife saw the car last week and saw the backseat she literally started to get upset that i was buying a car with such a small backseat. My son is 9 and is able to ride up front most of the time as both me and my wife work about an hr apart in opposite directions, its very rare the whole family is in the car at once on weekdays . We adjusted the passenger seat as my wife would like it and there was not alot of room behind her seat although i felt she could scooot further up and still be comftorable. So i would say they would be uncomfortable but they can fit back there. Like you we have a grand cherokee for family outings which are mostly on weekends, i still plan on taking the camaro on the thanksgiving trip if we do go on one this year though.

" my wife did catch an attitude on the way home solely based on the backseat"

Just read your post, if you are able to afford a new cts v/ atsv i would definetly go that route. I also own a g8 right now and was really wanting the SS, but you are right the car is only a 09 gxp with a better interior, i wanted newer tech in my car than the SS offered. What im watching is what/if anything chevy will replace the ss with in the coming years.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:11 AM   #3
BahamaTodd

Drives: 08 Accord V6/M6 / 04 Canyon Z71
It doesn't sound like the Camaro will be a good fit for you. Go check out a 5th gen and see how comfortable they are in the back, how easy it is to put in the car seat, and how well your clubs fit in the trunk. Then realize that the 6th gen lost back seat room and lost about 25% trunk volume.

Holden also made several other improvements to the SS after the refresh, plus you can now get a manual trans, magnetic ride control, bimodal exhaust, etc. Make a trip out of it and also test drive an SS to see how it compares to your G8.

The 2016 also has a few nice visual improvements:
BahamaTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #4
Bradl1982

Drives: 17 Camaro 2SS
I'm still waiting for a picture of the backseat with the front passenger seat adjusted as if a normal sized wife (5'2"ish) is sitting in it and with the passenger seat all the way forward.
Bradl1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
bybcous

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 1SS
My wife is 5"8 so if she was able to scoot the seat further like a 5"2 person the backseat would have been fine and comfortable. I personally would go crazy back there with that tiny window though lol. Im 5"11 and would only out a car seat behind the drivers seat if it were and infant facing towards rear window. There was litterally 0 leg room. I personally drive with the seat fully retracted though unless im driving a little spirited.
Best so far 11.5 at 123 with a 1.83 60ft. BMR lower and upper trailing arms and upper control arms,E85
DELIVERED 12/29/15
http://youtube.com/bybcous " no talking only racing on my youtube"
bybcous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:23 AM   #6
rayhawk

Drives: Camaro SS
I am in the same boat as you, I take my 3&6 year old girls to school in the morning. Since it will probably be a year or so before I can get one anyway, I was thinking about renting one once they are available to try it out in day to day driving. I think it will be fine, especially if you have another more practical vehicle in the household.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:29 AM   #7
CA 2016 SS

Drives: 2016 SS MRC NPP
If you could handle the price difference, I would go with the ATS -V sedan. It should have all the performance of the Gen6, but significantly more room. Plus it's a great looking car!
CA 2016 SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #8
mcsoul

Drives: Want a gen 6
The gen 6 Camaro SS I love, but the chevy SS not so much. If I needed a 4 door it would have to go to the charger scat pack or the mercedes c400.
mcsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:36 AM   #9
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
I had my 8 year son in the backseat the other night at the show in Raleigh. He loved it! Is it a family hauler with tons of storage, no, not a chance! It is a modern day sports car. I heard people complaining about the trunk the other night, and I am thinking to myself, it is a damn sports car! If you want tons of trunk space, Chevy makes the Malibu and the Impala, which you can fit 3 or 4 people in that trunk, lol! Not sure about golf clubs as far as width wise, but you always fold the back seats down and stick a bag in forward, definitely should fit.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:41 AM   #10
Trans damm

Drives: Trans am
I'm concerned about a rear facing seat. I have a daily and wife has a truck so the Camaro would only have the baby in the back 4/5 times a month during the summer to go check out some car shows. The rear facing seat touches the backseat on my Jeep now. Thinking about how it will fit in a camaro should be interesting. Lol
Trans damm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:51 AM   #11
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
If you are buying this car as your first or second needed DD car for the family....

I mean...it's a performance car so you shouldn't expect much "utility"
Old 10-30-2015, 11:52 AM   #12
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans damm View Post
I'm concerned about a rear facing seat. I have a daily and wife has a truck so the Camaro would only have the baby in the back 4/5 times a month during the summer to go check out some car shows. The rear facing seat touches the backseat on my Jeep now. Thinking about how it will fit in a camaro should be interesting. Lol
You can forget about a rear facing seat unless the passenger seat is all the way forward and seat back all the way forward.

Forward facing or Booster...ok.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
G8DUDE

Drives: Pontiac G8 GT
Lol, yeah mine would probably catch a tude after seeing the backseat in person. I pretty much NEVER have the whole family in the G8, so with only 1 front seat taken I suppose I could put the passenger seat all the way up for some 5 yo son to sit passenger side who of course has the longer legs. The rides between daycare/school are all of 10 minutes, so the kids aren't in the car for long stints.
G8DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:25 PM   #14
jaymsu
Yeti's Daddy

Drives: ATS-V, Prowler, M6 V10
Camaro SS was my choice, and I'm sticking with it. I don't golf much, and I rarely need my car to take my kids somewhere. I'll pick them up from time to time in my Camaro, but it's for short drive, and wouldn't happen often.

If I were you, I would seriously look into CTS Vsport.
CTS V (2nd gen) is a nice car, but it feels very heavy.
ATS-V is an awesome car, but the trunk space isn't that great either for golfers. (I couldn't fit two full-sized golf bags comfortably. You can fold the seat but so can Camaro)

It sounds like you want performance car, and you need 4 door sedan.
Chevy SS, CTS Vsport would be my choice, if I were you.
Whatever you decide to go with, enjoy!!
3000: 9/04/15 <TPW:10/19/15>
3800: 10/19/15 <VIN: 117740>
6000: 12/16/15
jaymsu is offline   Reply With Quote