#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 02-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Things Chris does not advise participating in, # 147

A man wiser than me once said: everybody serves as an example. Some people serve as an example of what to do, and other as an example of what not to do

Anyway. Today I estimate that my latest experience is about number 147 on the list of "avoid it when possible" :

Kids, do not do anything that may result in your producing kidney stones. This is my second go-round. First was in 2003: I was blocked up with 22 stones at the same time, yes 22. Endured that for 15 hours and came quite close to needing dialysis. Had emergency life-saving surgery. Today, I had another surgery, same type as before. Only three stones, but one was 11 millimeters. That's .43" for the SAE folks out there. For my type of stones, they use a hole you already have, for access. Use your imagination about that, but don't think about it too much.

Once they break it up and yank it out, you get these things called "flecks" that need to pass. And inside you, you have these other things called 'stents' that shore up your beat-up insides. A veritable galaxy of discomfort abounds; excruciating pain orbits those things several times a day, much like a masochistic planet that picks an path too close to a star. And the pain killers they provide "work" in the sense that if you could stand the pain anyway, they take the edge off, and they made money for the pharmacy while letting the hospital assume the least amount of risk when prescribing me medicine. So looking at the big picture thay are a big success, I suppose. They also make me ramble (could you tell?)

Boys, girls, gather round and take it from me, you do not want to volunteer for this type of thing, if by some chance someday medical science allows you the chance. Politely say "No thank you. I'd rather have a nice bowl of ice cream and one hundred dollars, please"

Perhaps later I'll explain experience #207: "Don't pick a fight with any guy nicknamed 'Concrete' by the police."
Old 02-06-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
If you've never seen the Deadwood kidney stone scene, you should watch it.
Old 02-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
If you've never seen the Deadwood kidney stone scene, you should watch it.

Steve, right now I'm afraid to take a wizz, let alone watch a show featuring kidney stones, lol
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
skipinminn
Chiquita

Drives: 2013 1LE/1SS YELLO1LE 1 of Only 28
WHAT cause's them ????
skipinminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Rob3D

Drives: Car
My largest one was 6mm. That's the size of a pencil eraser boys and girls. T The causes are different for different people. Mine were caused by sweet tea, red meat and few other things. Some are caused by stuff in ice cream. Yadayada..

It has been said that it's the closest thing to having a baby a man can feel. That is bullshit. Ask any woman who's had a child and a kidney stone which they would prefer....

The good news is, I found my cure. Lemonade. Since I started drinking lemonade regularly, I have not had one.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Jayrcr3

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS
A friend of mine had a kidney stone. He said for several hours it felt like he was trying to piss a golf ball. When it finally passed he expected to see a big chunk of whatever kidney stones are made of in the toilet and it was about the size of 3 or 4 grains of sand stuck together. To hear him talk about it is hilarious, but I wouldn't want to go through it. It must be excruciating.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
American Racing 1 7/8" Headers and Hi-Flow Cats, CAI cold air intake, Flowmaster AT exhaust, Vengeance Racing Stage 2 cam, VMax ported throttle body, TEA valve springs and titanium retainers, Trick Flow hardened pushrods, 180* T-stat, Comp Trunion kit, ZL1 Fuel Pump, ADM Fuel Pump Control Module, 20% window tint, Whipple Supercharger. Tuned by Mike Norris Motorsports. 656rwhp/584rwtq @10 PSI.
Jayrcr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
PIPE
Hating prius's since 1997

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS (JENNA)
My brother has had them for years. I've seen him in so much pain he's just literally broke shit just to get any relief. He'd destroy anything in his path. Doc actually prescribed beer to help keep them away. Eventually they figured out what caused them. Dairy. Any and all for him. He's actually passed stones the size of ones pinky nail. That's enormous in pee hole measurement.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
Silverlsinva

Drives: 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth Grigio
Yea kidney stones are NO JOKE worst pain you will ever feel IMO Ive only had one in my lifetime and dont intend on getting anymore.
Silverlsinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
camarowa

Drives: 2013 SVT Raptor, sold 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayrcr3 View Post
A friend of mine had a kidney stone. He said for several hours it felt like he was trying to piss a golf ball. When it finally passed he expected to see a big chunk of whatever kidney stones are made of in the toilet and it was about the size of 3 or 4 grains of sand stuck together. To hear him talk about it is hilarious, but I wouldn't want to go through it. It must be excruciating.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
Golf ball covered in f'ing razor blades........know the feeling
- Blacked-Out Bowties & RS Emblems, Front bowtie delete
- Full Dynamat Extreme Trunk Coverage
- Tinted side markers
- Interior DSV Customs Leather Upgrades
- Airaid CAI V2
- Forgestar F14 Gunmetal 20x9, 20x11
- Doug Thorley Shorties
camarowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #10
69supersport396
Rick

Drives: 2012 IBM RS 'Vert
Been there, done that. I am finally stone free! My body was making too much calcium and causing my stones. I now take a pill daily to reduce calcium output.

My largest stone was also 11mm. That one had to be surgically removed from a ureter. Urologist was baffled it was not causing pain. My guess is because it was not moving.

The pain is outrageously intense!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #11
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
The good news is, I found my cure. Lemonade. Since I started drinking lemonade regularly, I have not had one.
Lemonade is good for kidney stones however the high citric acid in lemonade will erode your teeth over time. A better solution is cranberry juice but if you don't like cranberry juice, apple juice works almost as good. I drink a gallon of apple juice a week and I haven't had one in years.

Remember, no matter what actually caused your kidney stone (there are a lot of different causes and it varies from person to person), all kidney stones are linked to one thing, insufficient fluid intake. Drink a lot of fluids everyday and you will constantly flush out your kidneys before the stones have a chance to form.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
LoneStar

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
Lemonade is good for kidney stones however the high citric acid in lemonade will erode your teeth over time. A better solution is cranberry juice but if you don't like cranberry juice, apple juice works almost as good. I drink a gallon of apple juice a week and I haven't had one in years.

Remember, no matter what actually caused your kidney stone (there are a lot of different causes and it varies from person to person), all kidney stones are linked to one thing, insufficient fluid intake. Drink a lot of fluids everyday and you will constantly flush out your kidneys before the stones have a chance to form.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM   #13
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Got an STD test once and they stuck a Q tip in there, worst pain I've ever felt. Kidney stones...I can't even imagine...

What exactly causes them?
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #14
pocketcthulhu

Drives: 2014 2ss/RS 5th gen Camaro #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
As someone with CRONIC kidney stones I am sadly a bit of a self taught expert. I was talking to a Dr my mom worked for in the 90's and he was telling me about a study that another dr was working on, It seems that potassium citrate combined with citric acid Is the "cure" and i use that word Very lightly in this case, as the two chemicals combined help soften up the stones.

I discussed this with my urologist and he said that's basically what the supplement he would proscribe contains. He highly suggested that I drink the crap out of the stuff along with staying properly hydrated.

Here's the real kick in the face. Crystal Light Lemon aid.

I still get a Lot of kidney stones,But they don't bother me very much anymore point in case last Tuesday I realized I had a kidney stone when I passed it. Not the rolling around on the floor kind of pain more of just a twinge of pain in a sensitive area. I'm not sure Why perhaps scar tissue? But all I know is that I don't have to call someone to hide my guns from me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkneSS View Post
Got an STD test once and they stuck a Q tip in there, worst pain I've ever felt. Kidney stones...I can't even imagine...

What exactly causes them?
there's a couple of different kinds, there's a genetic predisposition where the body flushes excess calcium and the other is caused by diet, myself and sister both have the genetic predisposition, Mine was much worse as I drank a LOT of green tea and that aggravated the condition.

I have had two pretty big stones busted up, I have gotten to the point where I can deal with the pain of the bad stones, I start worrying when I can't keep water down and the stones stop hurting, that's when I go to the hospital. It sounds a Little funny when they are warming this machine up, it Literally sounds like hitting a piece of steel with a 10 pound sledge.... Just a hair unnerving when they are putting you under.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extracorporeal_shock_wave_lithotripsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIPE View Post
My brother has had them for years. I've seen him in so much pain he's just literally broke shit just to get any relief. He'd destroy anything in his path. Doc actually prescribed beer to help keep them away. Eventually they figured out what caused them. Dairy. Any and all for him. He's actually passed stones the size of ones pinky nail. That's enormous in pee hole measurement.
Hah yea, I almost died laughing when cute little a Ct tech leaned in when I was about to get a CT scan and said "now don't tell anyone I said this but go home and sit in a hot bath and drink a six pack" I tried it at a later date and it does help.

Im 35 now my first stone was when I was 22, I have had four Bad stones, two removed two passed normally and I have stopped counting how many I have had since the last bad one about 7 years ago.

Last edited by pocketcthulhu; 02-10-2013 at 03:02 PM.
pocketcthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote