View Single Post
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shesabeast View Post
to encourage people to get out of the mindset that you need a big gas hog to get hp. I mean, a Cobalt SS can hang with a Camaro SS (not beat, but hang)... v8= doesn't mean fast car, it just means big engine.
But who, anywhere, has said to themselves if they had a choice to buy a Camaro SS or a Cobalt SS "Man, I want me some Cobalt SS"? I want names. The more likely reason is that's because GM can offer a more reasonably-priced car that fits within smaller budgets yet still offers a thrill when you drive it. And if you don't keep cars long, you also should probably keep an eye on resale values in the future. Not sure what the Cobalt is compared to Camaro percentage-wise, but some people look at that as well.

And that's exactly why the gas-hog reasoning is (gas-hog)-wash. Most people want V8s because that's what they're USED to buying. Gas hog has nothing to do with it. CAFE has nearly everything to do with it. You don't buy a car such as a ZL1 because you give a crap what the gas mileage is. You buy it for performance. True today as it was then, there's no replacement for displacement, all other things being equal. But today they're not equal with the power-adders from the factory. Turbo a 6 to do the same or little better than an na V8? Why not offer a TT V8 as well at the same time and make everyone happy? Now THAT would be something.

Nothing wrong with a V6 or an I4 even. I have absolutely no issue about it if that's what people choose for their cars. And though V6 and I4 may be nice, you can keep them for your own Camaro if that flips up your skirt. If the best Camaro has to offer is V6, I'll just keep driving my old, less-powerful V8. Because I can and I want to, that's why.

Sorry...as a traditionalist, make mine a V8.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote