View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #112
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5journal View Post
Have you considered raising that style line up from the middle of the door to the top of the front fender to emulate the 69 Camaro look a bit? That might reduce that '90's look I referred to and give the thought process more room to develop interesting what if's from as the line goes rearward. I also think the rear fender needs more "hump". You could dive that line back into the aforementioned line...just thinking out loud...
Okay I see what you're saying. I'll try both; moving the center line up and trail it off from the top of the front wheel well, and give the rear fender more height on the top and feed that line forward to the top of the front wheel well. That might be an interesting look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I agree, but time will tell which "trends" will just be a passing fad and which will become iconic and timeless.

The Vette images I posted were more to show the evolution of the design and sharper edges than to illustrate what I think should be carried over to the Camaro. The vent behind the front tire on the C7 would never make sense on a Camaro, but it makes total sense on the Corvette for two reasons; there's always been a vent there (at least for the past few generations) and this new Corvette is the "Stingray" and they somewhat resemble gills.

But if you compare your profile drawing to, say, a third gen:

I can't help but feel that the rendering is regressing (minus the T-Tops) and not progressing. Does that make sense?
Yes what you're saying makes sense and I do understand your point. However keep in mind that if I do a style that looks and feels like a Camaro, that's going to mean it carries forward styling hints from previous generations. I don't want to completely abandon the heritage and start doing something totally different from anything before. I guarantee if my design were made in the flesh and sitting next to that third gen, you'd immediately see how much sleeker, more refined and more powerful my design would look.

It's difficult to decide which style elements to pull from the past and yet do something that's new enough to look like it's new. After 55 years of low, swept and swoopy shapes from just about every car company on the planet it's pretty near impossible to do a design that doesn't in some way have a hint of something done before. When you're doing something based on a car with such an incredibly strong identity as a Camaro, that task is even more difficult.

I'll keep working on it. I can eliminate the side groove and make the difference in the curves between the front and rear fenders more pronounced to help beef up the look. Right now it's sleek and aerodynamic; it's a blue-nose dolphin and people seem to want a great white shark.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM